Renting a vintage car and driver

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

runnersbliss Posts : 1 Registered: 12/28/09
Renting a vintage car and driver
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 5:11 PM

Hello!

I am getting married in October 2010 and would love to surprise my fiance with a vintage car and driver when we are finished with our reception. I am having a REALLY hard time finding such a thing in the metro Cleveland area. We don't have our reception site yet, but it will most likely be on the west side. If anyone can help out I would really appreciate it!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Renting a vintage car and driver
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: runnersbliss

Dear RB,

My husband is a car nut and he has a old Ford T-Bird. Some friends of his similarly had a daughter getting married, and they were also looking for vintage car rentals. The only thing they could find was a Rolls Royce for $500.

They came to my husband for advice, and he immediately volunteered to do it for no charge. He did, and it worked out great.

That said - here's my suggestion. See if you can find any antique car clubs in your area, then contact them to see if any of their members have a car that might suit your needs. Be flexible in payment terms. You might offer a donation to the car club, you might just pay the car owner for the car and his/her time or you might offer a donation to the car owner's favorite charity.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: runnersbliss

That sounds like a nice idea, but think about the logistics before you spend a pile of money on it. I think it would be a cool idea for driving between the ceremony and reception, but where are you actually going in it after the reception? To the hotel, which is probably pretty close? Are you planning a 'sendoff' or do you want to stay at the reception until the very end? If you want to do a sendoff, how will you make sure that people stay for it? Will your photographer be there until the very end? If it's not in your package, look into the cost of extending the photography package before booking the car. Will you be awake/sober enough to enjoy it? Personally, I was pretty energetic even after our reception and only drank one glass of champagne, but so many couples say that they were beyond tired...and if either of you are planning on drinking, that's another thing to take into consideration: will he be sober enough to appreciate the surprise? Another important consideration: will your dress fit into the car that you're considering?

Anyway, we looked into renting a snazzy car to drive (no driver for us! If we're paying money for a snazzy car, we'd BETTER get to drive it ourselves!), and found several options in our area, but all were quite expensive. But I'm not really sure if you're looking for the same type of car as we were - we were looking for sporty and fast, not necessarily vintage. For a vintage car, I think AOTB's suggestion is a pretty good one. Check out antiqute car clubs in the area and see if someone there is willing to do it for the night.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: runnersbliss

Finding the vintage car may be easier than finding the vintage driver (sorry, couldn't resist)!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Dear Myra,

In my husband's car club, the driver would be "vintage". Young people aren't interested in restoring Model Ts. The average age of the car club members is about 70.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine