Black Bridesmaid Dresses..in May

Online Users: 1,317 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

FireBride Posts : 1 Registered: 8/17/09
Black Bridesmaid Dresses..in May
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 1:28 PM

Does anyone see anything wrong with black bridesmaid dresses in May? I want the focus of my wedding to be the colorful spring flowers and not some color that I just picked for a bridesmaid dress. I'm not a 'fashionista' by any means but I don't want to look back on my wedding pictures 10 years from now and think "ICK why did I pick those colors?!?!". So I've had my heart set on black bridesmaid dresses.

Thoughts?

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Re: Black Bridesmaid Dresses..in May
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

its your wedding you can do what ever you want! :) im getting married in august and im having a black and white wedding

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

Black is classic, timeless, practical and flattering! My days of being a bridesmaid are long gone but if I were to be a BM I would be ecstatic with a black dress. Plus black will make your flowers pop, regardless of the color. It is easy to match with other colors and looks super sharp when the groomsmen are in black suits. Oh I can't say enough good things about black. I say go for it.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

If you really want black bridesmaid dresses, I say go for. A very close cousin of DH is getting married in July and her girls are wearing black. As long as the fabric and style are appropriate for the time of year and type of event, it will look great. Long sleeved black velvet would look silly, but tea length chiffon would be gorgeous.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

I think black dresses would look so pretty with brightly colored spring flowers! I say go for it.

I do know people our parent's ages think black BM dresses are weird. I've had my mom and MIL attend weddings that had black BM dresses and come home and tell me how weird they thought it was. But I think it's the trend now. But block those people out. When they see it all put together, they will think its beautiful!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 5:19 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Dear NJ,

"I do know people our parent's ages think black BM dresses are weird"

That would be me. Yep, within the privacy of my own mind I would be thinking "Yech".

I would say, however, "What a lovely wedding" to anyone who cares to ask me.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

dear FB,

" I want the focus of my wedding to be the colorful spring flowers and not some color that I just picked for a bridesmaid dress."

You totally can have black bridesmaid dresses if you want.

I am 55 years old, as NJ said, of your parents' generation. I would be sitting there thinking to myself "Yech. Black at a wedding. Yech.", but would not say a word out loud.

Can I offer an alternate suggestion? So many weddings revolve around one dominant color and one accent color. I went, for example, to three weddings in a row that were chocolate brown and pink. My suggestion to you is to think outside the box.

You are already outside the box with black dresses, so consider doing away with the one dominant color scheme and use colorful spring flower colors as your colors. In other words, pick a palette of spring colors and use those colors for the bridesmaids dresses and other decorations. You can get, for example, dresses in spring floral prints.

I've made the same suggestion to others: Go to a paint store and pick up a bunch of color chips. Then cut them apart. Mix and match to create a palette of spring colors you like, then use that as a basis for selecting dresses, linens, flower and other decor at your wedding.

In my opinion, it would look great to see a bunch of beautiful young ladies in spring colors rather than funeral, matronly black.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I love cute black dresses. I think they are a great canvas to accessorize. In your case it would be flowers. If it's warm you are, I would have them get black cocktail dresses and then add that punch of colour from the spring flowers. At the reception, they won't be carrying flowers but they will look great in cocktail dresses.

I hope you decide to do black dresses. I think it will look great.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Dear BTS,

Who died?

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt, I think youve made your point. Three times now. I dont see how the "who died?" comment was in any way helpful. You know often times I agree with you and other times not. I really think on this particular issue, your views are very outdated. People have been using black as a FESTIVE party color, elegant color, for years now. It is NOT just for funerals anymore, hasnt been for a long, long time now. My MOH wore black for my Christmas wedding - we added emerald green accents for pop and she looked gorgeous. OP - I think black looks elegant and beautiful, as long as you add color in other places, the black will help the other colors stand out and your wedding will look great.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 10:41 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I absolutely agree. Black is one of the few universally flattering colors out there. I'm a BM in my BFF's wedding next fall and our dresses are black. I think that it's a really elegant look.

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 10:43 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

I think you should have the exact color you want! And black is very elegant. You can always add a splash of color with ribbons or sashes.. colored shoes... any accessory if you want to add color. But that is up to you! Congrats of your May wedding!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: FireBride

and another thing: most women do need to have a nice black dress. Most women do not need a chocolate brown dress with a pink sash, or a pastel dress, or a fushia dress with sage green. A black dress can be much more easily recycled out of wedding mode.

I had black dresses for my bridesmaids (I let them pick a black dress they felt beautiful in and they felt would fit with their lives). One of my bridesmaids actually got married in a black dress (and she wore HER wedding dress in my wedding).

The black provides a classic and elegant appearance

Go for it! (As one black bridesmaid dress bride to another)

Misty

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2010 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Ha Aunt!

I don't see how either of those photos depicts a funeral!

We know my opinion--black dresses are great and versatile. I think the spring flower touch will make it very "wedding-y", timeless and tasteful.

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 8:47 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Black dresses are beautiful. Pair it up with some bright colors and it will look hot. My aunt freaked out at my mom when she mentioned that she might wear a black dress to my wedding. I told my mom to go for it. I think it will make for nice pictures.

On a side note I make it a point NOT to wear black to a funeral. At my uncles funeral this summer I wore his favorite colors (Blue and white).

wedding tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine