Dying Hydrangeas?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Dying Hydrangeas?
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 4:49 PM

Anyone know anything about this? I am doing my BMs flowers myself because they will be just simple, clean-cut gerbera daisies. So if I can figure out how to do my own the way I want it, I think I can forgo the florist and save some money in that department. Well I think I want to try dying hydrangeas a super light, soft pink color and incorporating that, but have no idea where to even start! So help please! :)

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Re: Dying Hydrangeas?
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

MrsS,

I assume you mean fresh flowers... Dying flowers is super easy. All you have to do is put food coloring the perservative water that the hydrangeas are in and they soak up the coloring as they drink. So grab you some pink or red if you can't find pink food coloring (the liquid kind not the capsules or tablets). Drop a bit into the bucket or vase of water, cut the stems of the hydrangeas and put them in. After awhile you'll see the white blooms begin to change. It may take some trial and error of how much food coloring to add to get the right shade of pink. But you should give it a try! However, you do know that hydrangeas come in pink, yeah?

You could also try spray painting them. But I would only do that if the food coloring method doesn't work. You'll have to spray them pretty close to the wedding (maybe day before) so they don't suffocate but also gives them some time to air out the paint smell.

silk flowers.... I have no idea!!

Hope this helps!!
Created by Wedding Favors

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Not sure what shade or how pale your pink is, but here are some pics of pink hydrangeas...

Pink Hydrangeabranch of the pink hydrangea ...Hydrangea-LightPInk.jpgHydrangea macrophylla 'Pink ...... pink (in alkaline soil) toHydrangea Verena PinkNatural-Pink-Hydrangea.jpghydrangea_pink_purple.jpg

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Thanks so much!! I cant believe I didnt know how to do this lol. I looked it up and these websites made it seem so complicated! Guess i was looking in the wrong places haha. Yes I know they come in pink but Ive just being having a bit of a hard time finding the light shade I have in mine so thought Id give it a try myself. Thanks for your help!

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 8:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I took a floral arranging class on weddings and the instructor said to use floral flower dye. That's what she said! You have to be careful about dyed flowers because the dye can stain your clothes. Just FYI

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: mrscreamer2be

The pp is correct that floral dye is a good way to go. Especially with bright colors or colors that food coloring or dye don't come in. There are several floral grade types. The dip kind and spray kind can rub off on clothing because that is paint which is directly on the flower. You either dip the blooms in it or spray it on. The coloring you mix with water for the flower to soak up will not rub off on clothes because it is 'inside' the flower. (just make sure you dry the stems off just like you would if using plain water) I would recommend the coloring method. It won't leave a residue or odor on your flowers. They'll still smell like fresh flowers!! :) Design Master is a widely used floral grade brand, but with basic coloring, any type of dye (clothing, fabric, etc) or food coloring will work and will probably be cheaper.

Here is a simple article on how to dye daisies with food coloring, but it will work with any light colored flower. Just remember, the more dye, the darker the color.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/21566/how_to_dye_fresh_flowers.html?cat=30

Let us know how it turns out!!!

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

MrsS- another tip when you are coloring them, be patient!! It will take a while. When you use the method that defiant gave you (food coloring in water, which I also recommend) it will take a while. What you'll start to see first is streaky lines of whatever color you put it. Don't think that it's not working correctly. It just takes a while for them to color the whole things. I mean hours! It takes about 20 minutes for the streaky lines just to appear! Good luck and I'm with defiant, trial and error my friend!

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

florist Posts : 13 Registered: 3/15/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Hi There, As a florist, I often tint my hydrangeas for weddings with floral spray paint. Design Master can be purchased at Michael's craft stores. Once you spray them, make sure they are good and dry before you start to work with them. I have NEVER had the spray paint come off, once it is dryed. As for dying your flowers with food coloring, etc. in water....that is where the color comes off, from the stem ends where the flowers have the biggest concentration of color absorption. Be careful with that way....cover your stems with ribbon so they can't bleed onto your clothing! And, allow several days for that to happen....it is really slow.
The Wedding Flower Diva

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine