Christmas Joy!!

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 17

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Christmas Joy!!
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 9:27 PM

Merry Christmas Ladies!!! With Christmas only 3 days away, I thought it might be fun to point out the cool Christmas traditions we all do, something we're thankful for, a happy Christmas memory, something we're excited for this Christmas, etc..... With the bad economy, lots of unemployment, and all other stresses and pressures we're all under, I just thought it'd be nice to have an uplifting, fun, funny and festive thread to start off some Christmas Cheer!!! (I may have sounded extremely cheesy in this last paragraph, but oh well! haha)

For DH and I we're starting our own Christmas traditions this year because it's our first OFFICIAL Christmas together! Woop woop! We've actually shared 8 Christmas's together, but it's our first as husband and wife and waking up together Christmas morning. So for one tradition, I'm going to make a festive little breakfast to have while we open our gifts.

This also may sound cheesy, but I'm proud to say we've watched every Christmas classic including classic cartoon Christmas movies in the past week or so!! The only one left is Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! :)

I'm thankful this Christmas that we've moved back closer to home and can spend Christmas with our families. Also thankful that DH has a job and we're able to pay the bills.

I guess I don't have a funny story, maybe one will come to mind later!

Ok ladies, lets here your stories!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: Christmas Joy!!
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:56 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Gotta love the Christmas classics!!!

We really don't have any specific traditions that we do on Christmas, usually we open our presents to eachother once we get home Xmas Eve, but this year FH said he wants to do it Xmas night when we get home.

One thing that we do that I really like is my family and his family both get together on Xmas eve! It makes it so easy because we don't have to fight over whose house to go to, and when kids are in the picture it'll be easier too! I also am so greatful that are families have grown close enough to spend the Holidays together.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 7:56 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Yay for Christmas time!

Our family always has the tradition of having a pig roast for Christmas Eve (I'm Cuban). We have the pig roast and then we open gifts around midnight after we eat. It's something that my family always does and we all look forward to!

As for my fh and I...not sure what we will do. This year we are going to his aunt's house for lunch so we can't really cook a Christmas breakfast. It will still be nice waking up next to him (we live together) and opening up presents :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

My family always gets together on Christmas Eve, there are about 50-60 of us who participate every year! Each family/couple brings an appetizer-style dish & the host provides the wine, beer, cider, egg nog, etc. Grandparents buy gifts for all the grandchildren & great grandchildren. Grandchildren buy for their grandparents. Aunts & uncles buy for their godchildren. Godchildren buy for their godparents. We all gather in the room that has the tree then sing christmas carols together until 'Santa' (usually one of my uncles dressed up in a santa costume that has been passed down over the years) arrives with his bag of gifts. The gifts in Santa's bag are always socks & one of the younger kids helps Santa hand out the gifts. Everyone in the room has their name on a wrapped pair of socks but in order to get it, you have to sit on Santa's lap & have your picture taken. Once everyone gets their socks, we sing Christmas carols for Santa's exit, hahaha. The pictures from the night are put on a DVD by my grandfather who then hands them out as birthday gifts for everyone throughout the year. The rest of the night is full of laughing, catching up, eatting & drinking!
This tradition has been going on for over 24 years & I'm looking forward to my BF being a part of it for the first time this year. I look forward to this gathering more than any other family gathering all year!
Happy holidays ladies. I hope that everyone has an incredibly special and blessed holiday!

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Our family always has the tradition of having a pig roast for Christmas Eve (I'm Cuban). We have the pig roast and then we open gifts around midnight after we eat. It's something that my family always does and we all look forward to!

Lechon? (Is that how it's spelled?) The other day, and I don't know why but I wanted some really bad, with the sauce...soo good! Can I come over to your place for Christmas? LOL

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Awww I'm so jealous of you ladies with all these fun traditions and holiday excitement. For us, the holidays are AWFUL. The fighting normally begins in about July/August over who is going where and when. Both DH and I have VERY small families. When I say small I mean, pretty much just immediate family consisting of a mom, dad and sister each. At least I have an aunt and uncle and 2 cousins we see every christmas. BUt thats what alway throws a wrench into everything.

We started a Christmas/Thanksgiving rotation where we go to one parents on Thanksgiving and the other on Christmas Day with the OTHER getting Christmas Eve. So this year, we did Thanksgiving & Eve will be at my moms and Day at the ILs. But the opposite of those years is always an argument b/c MIL cries and whines we're not going to be up for Day. Even though we go for Eve. Even though she KNOWS the rotation, its never good enough. And it's impossible to do both in one day b/c each house is 90 mins apart so we end up in the car all day!

So I thought maybe we can just permanently give my mom Eve and his mom Day but since my Aunt and Uncle come for Day, I don't wanna miss out on them EVERY year, you know? So by the time Christmas rolls around each year we end up not wanting to do anything and praying for a blizzard so we can just stay home.

Last year we both worked on Eve and decided to go out to dinner ALONE and then Day at my mom's and his mom's the 26th. This was fought TOOTH AND NAIL. We still did it, but never heard the end of it...still to this day. I am not sure why it's such a big deal to come one whole day later...but MIL was furious. She called DH a bad son, called him crying constantly...the whole 9.

So when I hear all these lovely stories about fun Christmases I get so jealous. I wish I enjoyed it!!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Jersey- that sound AWESOME!!! How cool you get DVD's of it all throughout the year! YEARS from now you'll love watching all the old DVD's!

NJ- I'm SO sorry the holiday's are like that for you! We're starting to get a taste of the same. We're both from the same small town, which sounds like it could make it better, but only makes it worse! We just moved back closer to home, but still live 2.5 hours away so when we go home it's for a whole weekend. I send an e-mail a few days before about our schedule, where we're staying/who we're staying with and when and all our activities. So everyone knows before hand and there shouldn't be any dissapointments or surprises when we have to leave for the other parent's house. Well, my mom has NEVER said a thing, never complained. But MIL always has her two cents to put it, and makes us feel bad for goin to my parents house. It's getting really old and I've just about had it! SO DH and I have agreed, we will stop trying to please our parents, do what we really want to do, and that's that. We'll see how it goes! haha Hopefully your holidays go well this year!!!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ, we just started having the same problem this year. We split Thanksgiving between the two families which was extremely difficult! As far as christmas we were going to do the morning with my family and the afternoon with his family! Well that is not good enough. So MIL has been calling FH and crying and telling him he doesn't spend enough time with his family! He has been so down because of her phone calls. I am trying to stay out of it but it upsets me to see her do that to him!

As far as tradition, last year FH did 12 days of Christmas for me and on the 12th day he proposed. It was so special that he wants to do that every year. So on Christmas I will get a gift and one each day after for 11 days. He is so silly! He comes up with the sweetest gifts! One day it will be just a picture of us and the next it may be my favorite perfume. Its amazing!

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Brooke,
Thank you so much for posting this! I needed some happy stuff today! You know, like everything else in life, Christmas traditions change. For example, the traditions I loved during my childhood are different than they are now. The traditions during my first marriage were different than in my second marriage, etc. I think sometimes it is hard to get used to, but it is important to be flexible and willing to create special traditions. Even if you had a tough childhood, you always have the ability to create as an adult what you didn't have as a child.

My most favorite memory comes from childhood though. I came from a huge family and everyone in the family can sing beautifully. Every Christmas Eve, after dinner and gifts, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. (young and old) would bundle up and go caroling through this cute little town. Most the time it would be snowing, and the families of the town would always be waiting for us to come. It was such a special thing. And now we don't do that anymore... no one goes caroling anymore! But this Christmas we may gather around and sing. :)

Merry Christmas!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Yes, I have to say after 5 Christmases together it has gotten easier to make our own plans. DH doesnt feel bad anymore and doesn't entertain any nasty phone conversations/emails. Paralegal--I know what you mean about feeling so sad for DH. I get really upset when his mom tells him he's a bad son b.c that man doesn't have one bad bone in his body.

It's mildly funny when MIL pulls out all these excuses as to why we should be going there every Christmas. Small family, check, me too. No grandparents left check, me too. None of these hold water for me b/c I'm in the same situation. And my mom isn't sitting here crying about it. It's bad enough I don't get to see my niece ON christmas day (on her first christmas) but I'm seeing her tomorrow, so whatever. It doesn't matter. I was willing to see her on Saturday if I had to.

To me and my family christmas isn't a DAY it's a season...Also no one really cares when WE will get to go to church, if we even can. We're just attempted to be bossed around. Doesn't matter what we want...makes me dread children!!

But I am looking forward to waking up on Christmas morning with DH. It's always a really fun time. We don't eat breakfast b/c we're saving room for massive dinner, but we make coffee, turn on the Yule Log on TV and open presents with our cats in our PJs! And tomorrow night we will probably drive around to look at Christmas lights.

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I think Dr. Phil would tell you to tell your family to get over it and for you to do exactly what YOU want to do! That's what I would tell you! You get punished regardless of what you do... it's not like you can make anyone happy anyway. I say go to Aruba next year! Hugs!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

paralegal- that is so awesome of your FH! How romantic and thoughtful!! And about FMIL, I feel for ya! You and your FH sit down, figure out what the two of YOU want to do for Christmas and all the holidays and stick to your plan. His mom is probably having a rough time letting go of her traditions and while it's not fair to make him and you feel bad for it I imagine she's more sad than anything. Trust me, I try to follow my own advice all the time, easier said than done! But, part of marriage is about becoming a family yourself and you deserve to start your own traditions and divy up time between the families as fairly as possible. She'll learn to accept it sometime soon. Maybe try what I did, send an e-mail before the holidays, let the family know exactly where you'll be and for what amount of time and that you look forward to seeing EVERYONE and maybe that will help? Anyway, hope all goes well for you this Christmas too!

My grandma does something similar to that. For as long as I can remember she has brought us a HUGE stocking December 1st filled with small gifts. She did this for my aunt and her family too. Each person in the family would have a designated day to have a gift up until the 24th, so we'd get about 6 gifts each. I mean they were small, some paperclips, a small toy, favorite pack of gum, but they were things we needed and fun to do the whole month. My grandparents spoiled us royally, but I plan on doing the same for my grandchildren some day! :)

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ!!! I love how you said you open your gifts up with your cats!! Haha we will too!! We have 3 and they have stocking and already have a gift under the tree! haha

I know, I dread what it will be like by the time we have kids, it won't be "we don't get to see you enough!" it will be "YOu never let us see the grandkids!" ugh, oh well, maybe by then we'll have a plan in place, who knows! :)

Francie- I love that you all went caroling! Back in High school, my group of best girl firends and I had a Christmas party and then went caroling to all these houses in our small town too!! That was our first Christmas party together, and this year we're having our 10th Girls Christmas party! Unfortunately we don't go caroling anymore either, usually the only time we can get together anymore is on a Sunday morning around Christmas before church. So we have a little breakfast and catch up. The group has sure grown with all the girls little one's, but it's amazing to me we can all still get together after 10 years!

And yes, you're right, Dr. Phil would say exactly that! In fact he had a couple on the other day talking about this very thing with in-laws and splitting the holidays and he said that as a couple, you need to come up with a plan that suits both of you, and then stick to it. I love Dr. Phil :)

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

THanks, Francie! It took a while to get that thru DH's head but he's more into doing what we want now. We have always thought about taking a vacation and not seeing ANYONE! Haha. There is literally nothing like going to see family on a holiday only b/c you are guilted into it not b/c you WANT to. Then hearing nasty comments the whole day.

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ, I agree. FH is the same way! No part of him is mean. It bothers me even more that she sees him at least 2 - 3 times a week. He is always stopping over there before work or after work just to chat and check on her. He would do anything for his mom! I think a lot of it stems from him being the baby of the family. His 2 older brothers live with her still and have no plans to move out! Tim is very independant and does not want to live with mommy the rest of his life! She can't handle that!

Brooke, I was just on the phone with FH and told him how you email everyone prior. He loved the idea! He said next year he is going to make sure well in advance he sends an email out to all of his family to let them know so there are no questions! Its funny because it was him that stated my family never has a problem with our decisions for holidays!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine