Reception

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 4

Murphy2B Posts : 1 Registered: 12/14/09
Reception
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 1:38 PM

We invited about 230 people to our wedding, Do we think they will all show up? Not at all but we have run into finding a place to hold reception that in not to expensive, we are about to have a baby and Im not working so we only have one person's income. Does anyone know of a place that is big and inexpensive that does food and everything? I could really use the help.
**Beautiful Bride and Mother to be**

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Reception
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: Murphy2B

What a mess! So your wedding is in 6 months, you don't have a venue, but you've already invited 230 people? Honey, you're doing this backwards!

As for the question about whether everyone will show up, the realistic answer is probably not. However, you must plan under the assumption that every single person you've invited MIGHT show up. That means you need a venue that is large enough to accomodate 230 (even if only 180 show up), just in case. What would you do if you booked a venue that can accomodate 200 and 220 people RSVP'd yes? The numbers that venues give you aren't just suggestions - they are fire codes and strictly enforced. The same goes for food - you probably won't get 100% turnout, but it's better to plan for 230 and have some money leftover than it would be to plan for less than 230 and have to max out your credit cards to feed everyone if they all show up.

So the answer is that you have to plan and budget for 230, but you'll probably have less than 230 as your final count. If that's the case, then you should have some of your budgeted money leftover to make last-minute upgrades (we did!) or to save for your baby.

Unfortunately, I'm across the country from you, so I can't recommend any venues, but I'm sure there's somebody around here from your area!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: Murphy2B

Let me get this straight--you've already invited 230 people, but you don't know where you're holding the reception? That must make it pretty hard to send out invitations!! And, you don't have any money, and you're having a baby. Whew! Sorry to be harsh here, but I'd advise that you get your priorities straight. Cut down that guest list (you can use finances and pregnancy as an excuse if you have to), and have something smaller, simpler, and less expensive than what you originally planned. The very first thing to do in wedding planning is to set a budget (that means working with money that you already have or reasonably can expect to have to spend on your wedding). Then, you plan what will work with that budget and not send you into debt. Once you figure that out, then you find your place and make your plans.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: Murphy2B

Wow, what a lot to deal with! I think you need to take a step back and re-prioritize. Right now, the most important factor is the baby. Once everything is in order for him/her, then you can focus on the wedding.

To answer your question, if invited 230 people, you need to preapare for all 230. You also need to find a venue that will accomodate 230 people. If you need to scale back on your list, do so. You can always use the baby as the reason why, which is a good reason. Trust me I know, I have a six month old!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 7:39 PM Go to message in response to: Murphy2B

Dear Murphy,

You must plan and budget as if all 230 will show up.

I think you are in really deep hot water, personally.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine