Different kind of E-Ring Whats your opinion?

Online Users: 1,360 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 26

SamanthasDay Posts : 10 Registered: 2/1/08
Re: Different kind of E-Ring Whats your opinion?
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I've got to agree with most everyone on this board. We just got engaged on Friday, and he proposed with a beautiful white pearl ring that he had custom designed, inside a metal oyster shaped ring box that he made himself.

All my friends have said "Its so YOU!"

I didn't want a diamond because just knowing the high probability that it funded war in Africa. Not to mention the expense, and I'm just not a diamond kind of person. I'm way too unique!

And the people who say "EWWW>>>> you didn't get a DIAMOND?!" I know that they don't really know me, and they put way too much emphasis on material objects.

Whats important, is that you love it, and it symbolizes your relationship.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: SamanthasDay

Samantha- People can be so rude! I'm sorry you've had to deal with people saying unkind things about your ring. Good for you for not letting it get you down!

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

As if people are so blatantly rude!
I think your ring is beautiful. Some people are just taken aback by untraditonal rings. Even so, I can't believe people have actually said "ew!"

There have been many times where I haven't liked a ring when somebody has shown me but I obviously lie. A lot of the time I try to find some truth that still sounds nice.

Ex: I can recall a very small traditional diamond solitaire ring that I would never ever wear in a million years and I said "it looks like it was meant to be on your finger." It looked nice there, she is very traditional and has thin fingers. It worked for her and suited her. I didn't choose to share that I would never wear it.

Ugh, some people!

Girlybride090209 Posts : 12 Registered: 9/28/09
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 4:43 AM Go to message in response to: SamanthasDay

I believe the ring is beautiful!!! Every bride has her own style and if love it that is all that matters.

Obviously
Your fiance understood how strongly you feel about the different issues surrounding diamonds and felt it was important to give you something that agreed with your ideals. People who react in a negative way are usually people who don't understand that a ring (no matter what kind!!) means more then just a pretty piece of jewelery. Enjoy your ring, it's beautiful !!!!!

Best wishes

TestingtheWaters Posts : 2 Registered: 3/31/08
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 12:03 AM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I actually don't have a diamond. I debated with myself for awhile but when it came down to it, I knew that the ring that I would ultimately want would cost too much (plus I didn't really want a solitaire anyway or any other traditional ring) and neither of us could afford a lavish ring and a wedding. I went with a garnet and citrine ring that I designed that represents my favorite season fall, and also represents when we first met. For us the ring also symbolizes our humble beginnings as a couple and the unique love that we have.

We questioned what people would say in regard to it not being a diamond and decided that regardless of what ring we got, people would talk anyway either saying it was too big, too small, question how we could afford it etc. We finally decided that it is our wedding, our life, and our family that we are building.

When I was younger I always fantasized about a lavish wedding and ridiculous ring. Now at 26 I have become very practical. We both would rather focus paying off all of our debts instead of acquiring more debt. We both felt that at the end of the day we didn't want a lavish ring to become an eyesore or regretful purchase, particularly in this economy where so much is unstable.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40095334&l=a1d7d70414&id=10604116

Edited by: TestingtheWaters on Dec 7, 2009 12:03 AM

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 2:57 AM Go to message in response to: SamanthasDay

That is so beautiful. I absolutely love pearls. I would have been too afraid to get a pearl ring though, because I'm pretty hard on my jewelry, and I would be afraid of destroying it, since it's a bit more sensitive than a stone. I think people should get the ring that is right for them, and screw what other people think about it! I got a traditional diamond ring, but that was because it was what I wanted, and it fit me. However, it would be weird if everyone got the same ring as me. My best friend got a beautiful sapphire ring. Would I wear it? No. Is it one hundred percent perfect for her? Yes. I couldn't imagine her wearing a diamond ring.

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 8:49 AM Go to message in response to: TestingtheWaters

TestingTheWaters it sounds like you & your FH have a great relationship & you both are very level-headed people. It's nice to hear true stories such as yours. These days I feel like people worry too much about what others think, especially when it comes to material things, it's easy to get caught up in. Thank you for reminding me that it's not about the size or type of e-ring you get, but the meaning behind it. I feel like I'm on top of the world just being with my man who adores me more than anything else. The proposal will be the icing on the cake!
Congratulations on your engagement & goodluck with everything else =)

jjclover Posts : 10 Registered: 12/6/09
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I can't really understand your friends thinking on this. Your ring has to be special to you and your husband. No one else.

Carol

http://www.artdecoengagementringsandmore.com

jAmbre Posts : 2 Registered: 8/11/09
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 9:26 AM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I can't stand how rude, ridiculous, and close-minded people can be when it comes to such a personal decision. I admire your ability to break out of the norm and choose a ring that reflects your relationship with your FH and your personal style rather than adhere to a "tradition" that was really a marketing ploy. Besides, with all of the terrible war associations that comes with diamonds nowadays, the choice to choose an alternate gemstone is much more socially responsible and may even help save some lives.
True, some brides genuinely love diamonds and that's fine too. But, just like I wouldn't go up to one that was newly engaged with a diamond ring and start spewing out political criticism for their choice, I would expect that same bride to not attack me for choosing another gem-or, no gem at all. In short, to each their own, ladies.

ScienceVsRomance Posts : 7 Registered: 12/11/09
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I'm with everyone else on this. Get whatever you want! It's the meaning behind the ring that counts most. I personally like blue sapphires. You have a platinum ring with a yellow diamond...that's definitely something special that not everyone has, or can have! :)

mermaidqueen85 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/7/09
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 2:29 AM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I agree with what everyone has said. I don't have an engagement ring yet, but I am looking at eco-friendly options. Most sites are too expensive (brillantearth.com, etc). BUT- I ACTUALLY FOUND AN AFFORDABLE SITE FOR ECO-FRIENDLY JEWELRY! Go to turtlelovecommittee.com. I hope this helps some of you out! And, if anyone else knows of any cheap, eco-friendly jewelry sites, keep me posted! I refuse to pay $700 and up for a garnet ring! $100? (like on turtlelovecommittee.com), That's more like it!
"Love is not selfish."

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

My engagement ring is an opal. It's my birthstone and I love it, plus it's the month we are getting married in. My FH and I talked about it, I showed him some that I loved, and then he picked one out and surprised me with it. He did a fantastic job with it. I say, go with what you love. It's for you, not for anybody else.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine