Is regifting tacky?

Online Users: 1,253 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Is regifting tacky?
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 8:06 PM

I have a couple wedding gifts that didn't have receipts and I have either doubles or no need for them, and I've had no idea what to do with them. I have a friend getting married the beginning of the year and am wondering if it's ok to regift them. My friend didn't see the gifts since we opened them the day after the wedding, but I'm still wondering if it's tacky.
DH and I are on a tight budget and we'll be driving about 10 hours to get to her wedding as it is, so we can't really afford an expensive gift. I was also planning on getting her/them something else too like maybe lingerie or a romantic CD; something fun or sexy, so I'm not a total cheapskate! Please let me know if this is considered tacky or uncouth (sp?), because if it is then I won't do it. Thanks so much!!

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: Is regifting tacky?
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 9:01 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

I would consider myself a non-traditionalist and not too conservative person (just putting that out there). I wouldn't be offended to receive a regift as long as it was something 1. That someone thought I might actually use and like 2. wasn't already used (unless a book, I like used books) 3. Didn't come across as we didn't like or want so we are giving it to you instead of buying a gift.

I would also suggest checking the registry to see if they have a similar item. This might indicate if its something they would or would not like.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I'm with Tanis. I've regifted but only when it was something I hadn't used and I knew that they would like it.

There were some gifts we got that I would not regift because I can't see anyone wanting them. But if I had an extra crock pot or something and I knew a friend would want it, sure, I'd regift it.

zoe1983 Posts : 115 Registered: 4/8/09
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it is something you really think the couple would want. I mean if anyone even questioned you on it you could just say that you enjoyed the gift so much when you got it that you decided to buy your friend the same thing!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

Just be sure and take the gift tag/card out of the box BEFORE you wrap it <G>

(I got a regift... it's lovely, so don't get me wrong, I like it...but it caused about two hours of "oh my god, who are these people and how am I going to send them a thank you note!" for me)

Misty

Posted: Dec 5, 2009 10:44 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

HAHAHA Good point Cat!

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 12:04 AM Go to message in response to: August28th

Thanks ladies, the gifts are in fact practical things. One thing was a 9x13 baking dish (I have like 3 already and I don't intend on making that many casseroles at a time!) and another was a set of cutlery and a knife block and we had already received a nicer one. I think there was a cutting board in there too. So thanks for you opinions, and now that I know not to leave the card (very funny!) I'll be able to save some money on her gifts. Thanks ladies!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 7:51 AM Go to message in response to: August28th

Dear Aug,

So long as the gift is totally new, totally unused and in pristine condition, and if the original giver and the eventual recipient live in different worlds, then it's OK.

Tips4Brides1 Posts : 1 Registered: 12/6/09
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

Oh my.... I disagree with everyone! I think regifting, under any circumstance, is one of the most tacky things you can do!!

First, the bride did not register for that gift! She most likely registered for the knives and crockpot SHE wanted. Why would you give her your second string choice? You admitted you recieved a nicer set! This is bad.

Secondly, you can easily make a choice to give the gift to charity or to someone else in your family that might need it, but to not take time to pick her a gift is just rude.

Lastly, if you are going to get her a lingerie gift anyway, then just get that! You have up to a year to get a gift, so save 5 bucks a month and in10 months you'll have $50 bucks. People understand you not having money, but to give something thatyou ultimately did NOT want (i.e. the knife set) is just rude. Get the lingerie or wait to get something else when you have money!!! There's no excuse for regifting!!!

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

I don't think there is anything wrong with re-gifting, especially a wedding gift. I follow 'standards' that have previously been mentioned such as it musthave never been used. If the gift has already been used by me or anyone else, I would never re-gift that item. However gifts that are still in their original boxes are free game.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: Tips4Brides1

Secondly, you can easily make a choice to give the gift to charity or
to someone else in your family that might need it, but to not take time
to pick her a gift is just rude.

A) That's still regifting. B) If it's something you are sure someone else would love, why not? I got plenty of things off my registry - that I love and some that I didn't. Heck, I got things off my registry that I couldn't figure out why I registered for it. No one would want some of the things I got, I wouldn't ever regift them.

Your opinion is yours and ours is ours - Seems a non-issue to me. For whatever reason, a bunch of people used to give me bath stuff and I HATE almost EVERY scent. I would always regift to my sis in law - she would get this HUGE thing of different bath stuff and candles for her birthday. She loved it - she even knew I regifted - she loved it when people gave me the stuff.

Personally, as long as it was something I was going to use, I wouldn't be offended to receive a regift - I figure my friend saved money and I still got a great gift.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 9:44 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thanks ladies for all your opinions. The gifts that I received were brand new when I opened them and have never been used by me or anyone else. The giver of the gifts and the friend I plan to give them to will never meet. I was planning on buying another lower price item (they sell romantic music CDs at walmart for $10, and lingerie doesn't have to be expensive) to add a personal touch to the gift. I have never really seen regifting as tacky--unless the gift has been used before and it's very obvious at that. I once received a candle as a gift, the wick was black and half the candle was gone, very classy. So thank you for your opinions. I may just give her one of the gifts and find other places for the others, I have a few weeks to decide that. Again, thanks!!

weddingready10 Posts : 9 Registered: 9/3/09
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 10:29 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I am sure everyone does it. SHH I won't tell!

Sarahew88 Posts : 9 Registered: 11/12/09
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 2:16 AM Go to message in response to: August28th

Yes re-gifting is tacky, but .....1) only if you get caught & 2) we are in hard times right now.

Even if you were caught people have to realize the economy is not the best right now and a girl has to do what a girl has to do.

I have regifted many times before, but only after over-analyzing to make sure the receiver was not even remotely associated to the original gift.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone oh Lord; make me to dwell in SAFETY."

Psalms 4:8

I scratched this onto every wall of each living unit I was in while deployed.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Sarahew88

Ladies,

I'll add this. Occasionally I receive a gift that I just cannot use. I might think about my close circle of friends and might decide that Close Friend Sue could use that gift.

I might then offer it to Close Friend Sue and fully disclose the source. It would not be her wedding, birthday, etc., present but just "I got this and cannot use it. Maybe you can." type conversation.

Here's another thing I did.

An elderly lady at church gave me one of those tabletop "serenity" fountains. I suspect that it was "regifted" because she would not normally give me anything. I think she got it from someone and decided to pass it along. (She's a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket.)

Well, I did not need it, either. So, I took it to the office in a tote bag, then when no one was looking, I put it in the lunchroom with a note that said "Free to a good home".

Later, it vanished.

The elderly lady has never been to my house, so she won't see it missing. Someone else, who liked it, now has it. That works for me.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine