AHH! What did you spend your wedding gift money on?!

Online Users: 1,242 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Jaim Posts : 1 Registered: 9/11/08
AHH! What did you spend your wedding gift money on?!
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 11:12 AM

So... I am in a bit of a predicament. I just got married and now my husband and I have all this money from the wedding. Our parents are telling us to be practical with it and put it towards a house and our future. I know we should probably listen to them but... we are really tempted to do something fun with the money or at least part of the money. I just don't know what to do! Any suggestions? What did you do with your money for the wedding... and PLEASE don't say save it all! haha!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: AHH! What did you spend your wedding gift money on?!
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: Jaim

We did a combo of fun and practical: paid off credit card debt, bought some new clothes (which was both fun and practical--we did need clothes), I splurged on a Coach handbag, and we socked away the rest in savings.

I vote for using most of your money for practical stuff but giving yourself a little bit to play with. Have fun!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: Jaim

I think saving it all is a horrible idea!  I have a practice that whenever I receive an unexpected block of money, I allow myself to spend 25% of it on fun, 25% goes in to long terms savings, and 50% goest towards paying off any debt (whatever has the highest interest rate, such as student loans, car payments, house payment etc).   IF I didn't have any debt (which would be blissful), I would put 50% towards savings and blow 50%.

Love2uKiss

119 79 17 23
RSVP Date September 24

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 5:19 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

We didn't have much saves for our honeymoon since EH's Aunt was letting us use her beach house for free for the week so we used it for our honeymoon. Ate out, went sightseeing, bought some souveniers, had a blast!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website

"When you're working with glitter, expect to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts." - Demetri Martin

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

Jaim-

We spent half of our wedding gift money on paying off bills and half on our honeymoon! We had a BLAST on our honeymoon! But we returned home knowing that we were all caught up with the bills!

That's just my suggestion!  

LINDA JO and DEAN   July 19, 2008

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

we took about $500 with us to our honeymoon in vegas, as we had already paid the hotel and airplane and package fees, but didn't really have much saved up for food, gifts and other expeditures and things we might need/want on the honeymoon.

we also spent about $500 on a camcorder and accessories as well as a few little things to take with us on our honeymoon.

the rest... well, DH wanted to save it ALL, whereas I wanted to buy some of the stuff on our registry that we didn't get. I actually wrote down a list of stuff on the registry that i thought we needed and would like to get and gave it to him and it was only about half of what we had left. he was fine at first with my list until it came to a few fun things that we agreed would be nice to have. i pointed it out to him that people gave us the money to spend on stuff we needed/wanted that we didn't get, he wanted to save it all, i told him he was being stingee with it, not wanting to buy anything and save it all when we agreed to buy some stuff with it. we compromised and found some similar stuff we wanted for cheaper and made out spending less money than we intended.

so we still have a little more than half which we plan on putting in a savings account and using to pay unplanned expenses and just save up.

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Nov 18, 2008 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

We want to use it all on a house or buying stuff for that house. The honeymoon and wedding were already paid for before we got any gifts, and neither of us has any debt (I know, it's beautiful!) because we drive really old crappy cars - DH is going to get a new one soon, though - and we have no student loans or anything to pay off. We paid for the weddings entirely from our own savings and a helpful family money gift from each of our parents. So our future is really the only thing we want to use that money for. I can't wait to buy a dishwasher because I hate washing dishes! I'm so lame, but there you go. :-)

Free wedding ticker

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Nov 18, 2008 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

About a third of it went towards paying off the honeymoon and the rest went into our joint savings account. Not the long-term savings account, but the account we use when we need emergency money or to put towards a longer-term goal. That was a year ago. It's pretty much formed the base for our savings, which we add to month to month. We've dipped into it plenty of times too . . .I recently bought a new couch and we've used it for several weekend trip expenses.

So I say sock the bulk of it away in savings, but maybe towards a fun goal. . .like a trip for your one year anniversary.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Nov 18, 2008 3:39 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I am not married yet, but I can't wait to pay off (hopefully) all our credit card debt. We already have a town house, and hopefully we'll get things to "feather our nest" for the shower.. but If I get a good amount of cash at the wedding, we're putting everything towards debt and paying it all off. Saving $500+ a month on credit card bills is present enough for me!

raandy Posts : 1 Registered: 12/5/09
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 5:17 AM Go to message in response to: Jaim

This is a nice forum site here we can see some new ideas which can be utilze in marriage parties.My friend gift is a gift it does not measure by its cost, it only shows the heart feelings of giver.
===========================================
caravan hire

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 5:32 AM Go to message in response to: raandy

What?

preview image

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

Paid off our rings, bought a new laptop and put the rest in savings. My stepdad gave us a large amount of cash that he told us to spend on something special on the HM - so we did. We went swimming with the dolphins. :-)

zoe1983 Posts : 115 Registered: 4/8/09
Posted: Dec 5, 2009 10:05 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

My fiance and I aren't married yet but I am also worried about this decision. I feel like the sensible thing to do would be to put it all towards our debt and savings. BUT I feel like we only get married once and we should have at least a little fun right? We aren't really having much of a honeymoon because we just bought a house so part of me wants to spend some of the money on a honeymoon but it just kinda seems like a waste....

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: Jaim

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: Jaim

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine