Anyone else found a picture of themselves on someone else's ad?

Online Users: 1,339 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Anyone else found a picture of themselves on someone else's ad?
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 1:57 AM

So, I went to list my used wedding dress on Recycled Bride,
and I noticed the most bizarre thing. If you search for a David's
Bridal dress in street size 16, there are four listings. The top one
is mine. The second one? It also has my picture on it!

When I checked the other ad, the seller disclosed that it was not a picture of her or her dress, but just of one like
hers. And the picture does not show my face. However, it's still a
little unsettling to see a picture of me on someone else's ad.

And honestly, it is not that hard to spot. I mean, maybe there was
someone else who got married in the same dress, carrying the same
bouquet, and wearing the same pearls and opera gloves. But the
likelihood that the other person also married someone who was wearing opera gloves? Umm, not so much.

I suppose the good news is, my price is a lot lower than the other one.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Linda82 Posts : 7 Registered: 11/20/09
Re: Anyone else found a picture of themselves on someone else's ad?
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 2:39 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

So sorry to hear this. Maybe you could have a talk with the shop owner and ask how they get that photo?

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 2:44 AM Go to message in response to: Linda82

Well, it's an online store, so it wouldn't be that hard to take photos from one of my ads and put it into someone else's ad. It was just a little unnerving to see it. My first reaction was, "Wait, did I somehow put an ad up here and then forget about it?" It took me a moment to figure out that the other person had just used my photos.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 8:38 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

My friend has been a member at a reality tv forum for years--it's dominantly a modelling show forum and has lots of forums just on modelling and fashion in general. She used it because she does local modelling and I used to do a bit too.

They had a thread where members could post pictures of themselves--and a user used pictures of me! I guess I had modelled prom dresses in the area for her local newspaper and she scanned them. Not only that but she figured out my name and found my facebook and even started posting just everyday photos of me.

It was very strange and creepy. I contacted the administrator of the forum after my friend contacted me and the user got suspended for a certain amount of time and all pictures of me were removed from the forum. I obviously put up insane privacy settings on my facebook.

How would this member have access to your photos? I think it's very rude to use one without asking unless it's publically available.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 8:46 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

Well, that's a little freaky, but when you post a photo of yourself online, it's in the public domain and can be re-used by others. I get why you're uncomfortable with it, but I doubt that this is the first time this has happened.

I'd try to take it as a compliment. Maybe the other seller thought it looked better on you than it did on her!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

This probably happens more than people would think, unfortunatly. I'm a member of a yorkie-forum and there's a lot of times when someone will find an ad for a puppy online, only for it to be one of their puppies, or a picture of a Sire, but it's one of their dogs.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine