Different kind of E-Ring Whats your opinion?

Online Users: 1,323 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 26

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Different kind of E-Ring Whats your opinion?
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 2:11 PM

My FH and I have discussed what kind of ring he wants to get me and we decided on a yellow marquise diamond with a platinum band.

Excitedly I called my friends for lunch and told them what we had planned. To my surprise, one of my very close friends, who has known me for a long time and knows my taste in clothes and jewelry is a tad on the eccentric side, said to me in hushed tones that people would think it was strange if I didn't have a white diamond. She said "people would think it wasn't an engagement ring" and "that this was my one chance to get a white diamond."

In response to that I thought well if they don't know I'm engaged after a while they probably don't know me well enough to make commentary on my life. Also I wasn't aware that white diamonds were only for engagement rings. sarcasm

Regardless of other people's opinions my FH and I will get what is right for us and what best represents us as a couple. I was just hoping to hear what other people thought about colored diamonds and unconventional engagement rings.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Different kind of E-Ring Whats your opinion?
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Get what YOU love. The only opinions that are important are yours. Think about it--one of the most famous engagement rings of all time was Princess Diana's--a large sapphire surrounded by diamonds. When Jennifer Lopez was engaged to Ben Affleck, she wore a pink diamond. In fact, her ring started a trend for colored diamonds. Yellow diamonds are becoming very popular. The people who are close to you will know you're engaged because you'll announce this to them. And who cares what the rest of the world knows or doesn't know?
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Colelle Posts : 48 Registered: 6/21/09
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I hate clear diamonds (even though they're my birthstone). So my fiance` got me a gorgeous 1 karat aquamarine with a white gold band. I LOVE IT. I have had so many people compliment me on it too, and considering what finger it's on nobody seems to be confused on whether I'm engaged or not. You have nothing to worry about, get what you love. :)

theblackdiamond... Posts : 6 Registered: 10/7/09
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

My engagement ring is a 2ct black diamond with white/clear diamonds along the band. I picked it out and my fiance thought it was perfect. I wanted something unique and I love it. I have gotten many compliments on it. Even my grandma thought it was perfect, said she wished it was an option for her 56 years ago! So far no one has questioned it being an engagement ring. Get what makes you feel good, not what will make your friend feel good!

NoseInTheGrass Posts : 31 Registered: 11/1/09
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I don't really like diamonds at all. When I get engaged, I'd rather not have something that was most likely sold to fund a war. So, I think get whatever you want. I'm not getting ANY sort of diamond when I get engaged. Plus, diamonds are suuuuuper expensive and I don't think spending that sort of money on something so frivilous is very responsible.

The rings I've been looking at are light blue aquamarine, blue zircon and moonstone.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Edited by: NoseInTheGrass on Nov 30, 2009 9:54 PM

FutureMrsHaynes Posts : 21 Registered: 6/18/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: NoseInTheGrass

My ring has a pear-cut yellow sapphire as the center stone; same sort of look as yours, only much cheaper since my boyfriend and I are broke college students. I don't see anything wrong with having a center stone you love.
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

FutureMrsBabler Posts : 104 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Get whatever YOU want! Personally, I find white diamonds to be a little boring - no offense to anyone, they are beautiful, but I have somewhat eccentric tastes and prefer more unique stuff. FH and I were actually looking into yellow diamonds originally, but found out there is very little difference in looks/sparkle quality in perfect yellow sapphires, so that's what we went with. I have a 1.3 carat cushion cut yellow sapphire in a vintage setting and get compliments on it ALL the time. Seriously, if that's what you like, don't let your friend change your mind. In my opinion, she is probably just jealous that you are confident enough to push the envelope and wear something different that may get more attention than a normal diamond ring.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. 

~Dr. Seuss

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I have a very untraditional engagement ring.

The best compliments I've gotten are, "Wow, that is perfect for you guys. It's awesome."

THAT is what is important to me- that the ring symbolizes my FH and I and represents our tastes and styles. We didn't/don't care what people "expect" and it didn't appeal or suit either of us to have a big sparkly diamond that other women would squeal and gush over.

It works for us, but everyone is different. Do what you want and be happy. :)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I know plenty of people who don't have white diamond engagement rings, and some are very beautiful rings. Get whatever you want and tell your friend to shove it! :)

There's a lot of anti-white diamond thoughts on this thread, so I'll just say this: While white diamonds are not my favorite stones, I like that my engagement and wedding rings have them because they DO go with everything and they ARE timeless. As far as other jewelry goes, I like to get different, funky pieces - but styles change, colors don't go with everything, and my taste will change numerous times throughout my marriage. So for those reasons, I'm happy with traditional wedding rings.

That said, if I had chosen my own e-ring, I probably would have chosen something much less mainstream than what DH picked out; however, I think he made the right decision and I'm happy with the versatility and timelessness of my traditional rings.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

I do not have a clear diamond for an engagment ring. We choose a purple sapphire and had a custom ring made.
Like others have said... get what you and FH want. There may be 'rules' that others think you need to follow, but this is something special between the two of you - doesn't include them.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Your friend's advice was silly. Think of this situation as practice for the unwanted advice you'll get from people while you're actually planning your wedding!

Like everyone else said, do what feels right for you. I got a white diamond ring and love it, but my first choice would have been a pearl ring. But I only considered it for about 1 second because it was more important to me to have a ring that's durable enough to wear every day without worrying about it. Then for a while DH & I considered a sapphire ring because that's his birthstone, and while I loved that idea in theory, in reality I don't love the color blue, so that's why that option got tossed. So that's how I ended up with a diamond ring, but we had no issues with considering other options.

preview image

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I'm glad to find a place filled with women that have opinions and aren't afraid to speak their minds. I will definately take this as a learning opportunity and be prepared to handle opposing ideas during the planning of this wedding.

My FH and I are always going to stand by each other and be a team. I wish everyone good luck with the planning of thier own weddings and great luck in each of your marriages. I will definately be back if I have any other questions or thoughts.

Thank you again for your support

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 1:03 AM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

LCF - I have a blue sapphire engagement ring. I don't like diamonds. There are 2 small flanking diamonds, but they just 'enhance' the blue sapphire. LOL I'm serious, I am not fond of diamonds.

Therefore, be yourself and do what you want!!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 8:40 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Our wedding rings. My E-ring is a blue sapphire, princess cut, flanked by diamond baguettes. My DH wears a blue sapphire, princess cut, flanked by brilliant cut white sapphires. We get comments all the time about how beautiful and unique our wedding rings are. I didn't get a SINGLE comment during my engagement period about how my ring didn't look like an engagement ring. I got a lot of "I love that, it's so unique." and "I wish I'd gone with a colored stone." But nothing about "oh. that's not a white diamond. You really missed out on your chance to have one." We don't all want one...it doesn't suit everyone's personality. Me... I figure I got more bling for my buck.

Misty

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Lemon cake,

My boyfriend was not happy when I told him I didn't want a diamond ring.
He was very concerned about what people would think about him when they something like a yellow sapphire or topaz instead.

I didn't want a diamond for multiple reasons

1. I have an ecclectic taste and wear lots of rings, I didn't want something very traditional to go with them.
2. I don't like the lack of colour in a diamond.
3. I don't like how expensive diamonds are
4. I don't like the war connotations that come with diamonds
5. I simply see at as a norm that I don't want to conform too

I explained it to him as does it matter what they (friends, family and just general society) like for a ring or what I like for a ring? Who is wearing the ring? Me. I think the engagement ring should display how well a man knows his future fiance. I don't think he should just buy any traditional ring.

He realized things like since the gems that I want will be cheaper, he can buy a bigger stone in that then he could in a diamond for still half the cost (if we go with topaz).

As well as it is becoming trendy to use colours in engagement rings.

Just wait until your friends see how beautiful your ring is and how much it suits you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine