too soon to start planning?

Online Users: 1,349 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 23

coleapril87 Posts : 24 Registered: 11/11/09
too soon to start planning?
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 1:12 AM

Me and my fiance have been engaged for about a week now, and we've decided to wait while my fiance finishes school, and then we've allowed ourselves some time to save up, which sets our wedding to April 7th 2012. My problem is I'm crazy excited and I'm having a hard time not planning the wedding. Am I getting to ahead of myself or is it ok that I start planning? Nothing is set in stone, but I do have a few ideas. Anyone in a similar situation or have any ideas of how to be patient.

April

Edited by: coleapril87 on Nov 16, 2009 1:13 AM

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Re: too soon to start planning?
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

You're not too far ahead of yourself. This is a good time to figure out what you want so you can budget accordingly.
Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

Ash717 Posts : 4 Registered: 8/11/09
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

Definitely not!!! I have a friend who is getting married after me but is finished with all of her planning! There is nothing wrong with getting an early start on things and figuring out what you like and dont like. Now is a great time to look at magazines and websites to get a feel what what you want for your special day! congratulations!!!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

I agree that searching for ideas is fine, but a word of caution. Keep in mind that trends change with the season. If you fall in love with a specific dress now, it might not be available in 2-3 years when you actually go to buy it. The hot color schemes you see in all the bridal magazines might catch your eye now but be "so 2009" when you start buying stuff.

Your personal tastes may change (a Twilight themed wedding might not be your favorite idea in 2012.... then again hopefully it isn't now, but you never know), not to mention your financial status. A few years from now you might have a nice chunk of change saved up, or you and FH could be totally broke.

So like you said, don't set any plans in stone yet. Especially the bridal party. ;-)

aubreehahn Posts : 1 Registered: 11/17/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

It's never too soon to start planning for a wedding. There are a couple things that you should try to do right away and that's set a date, and choose your photographer. The reason it's important to do this is because photographers are booking weddings years in advance, so the sooner you set a date and choose a photographer, the more likely you'll get the wedding photographer you want. A lot of the other things can wait to be selected, but time after time I have to turn down brides because I'm already booked and they have waited until a month or two before their wedding to start looking for a photographer.

Best wishes on planning your wedding!

Aubree
Professional Wedding Photographer in Kansas City

Edited by: aubreehahn on Nov 17, 2009 2:43 PM

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

Congrats on your engagement! I personally think it is too soon because trends change. I know you are excited, but I would definitely hold off on making any huge decisions now.

Save up for about a year and a half, see what you got, and how much you want to spend, and go from there.

Lilypie - (8e8A)

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

Congratulations!!

I don't think its too early to start doing some of the planning for the wedding. I think it's great you plan to wait and save up for the wedding - and for you FH to finish school.

I wouldn't book anything concrete yet, but it doesn't hurt to start getting a feel for your wedding vision. Look online at venues in your area that you are interested in, or colors and style. You can decide if you want an afternoon reception or evening and figure it a general guest list.

Happy planning!

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

Relax and enjoy the engagement. You have over two years to plan. As mentioned earlier, trends as well as your likes/dislikes will change... Oh and your budget may change. Just relax and enjoy the moment with your FH =)

Elflet Posts : 5 Registered: 11/18/09
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 7:09 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I HEAR YOU!!

My FH proposed earlier this month, but he's going to go through JobCorps before we actually tie the knot. That means 2-3 years of separation-he'll be in UT and I'll be in CO, with limited visits. I know it's going to be hard on us, and since I don't know the exact date he'll be done, I can't set a date quite yet. But we're looking at Fall 2012! (Assuming the world doesn't end! LOL) I'm also giddy with excitement and looking, but knowing myself and what "styles" I like, what "colors" I like, etc etc.

Don't make plans. Do research and get ideas. That's my plan!
You can never get too much Wicked Clown Love

coleapril87 Posts : 24 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 9:00 PM Go to message in response to: Elflet

I know, I'm not too worried about trends because I always kinda do my own thing. I've got a few ideas of what I want but I'm looking just to get different ideas and find new ways to make this our wedding. Congrats! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to wait.

SixpenceWeddings Posts : 7 Registered: 11/25/09
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 9:28 AM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

It's never too early to start planning! Most vendors book up over a year in advance, and some of the best locations can be 2+ years wait time. Get the good stuff while you can! plus it gives you more time to budget!

Voted one of the top 5 wedding photographers in DFW by the WFAA A-List
www.sixpenceweddings.com

AllieBride Posts : 13 Registered: 6/30/06
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

I don't think it's too soon at all for some of the more major things like ceremony and reception sites and picking a day etc. I probably woulnd't get a dress yet or book the other vendors but those bigger things like sites would be a great thing to get off of your plate. Enjoy it... you've left yourself plenty of time to have every thing just the way you imagined it !! Congrats :)

ICEStandard Posts : 34 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

No it is not to soon to start planning. There is alot involved. You can get a plan going and research what kind of wedding you want. This will allow you to see what the cost will be. Then when the time comes to actually plan your wedding, you will be more organized and know what to plan for. Congratulations and good luck!

www.icestandard.org

Cnrtybrde Posts : 3 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 7:40 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

I dont know were at in Oklahoma you are, But I started planning in Feb 2009 when I got engaged, My wedding is in June 2010. I had the hardest time finding avaliable places. So start now!
Not much here in ok all the good place go quick! I have alot of locations saved up from checking around if you need any ideals.
I going almost three hours away, Its never to early!

kms31690 Posts : 7 Registered: 12/23/09
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: coleapril87

I don't think its too early to start planning. We're planning a February 2012 wedding. I have started looking and researching a bit but nothing is set in stone. If you start early, you will know what to expect cost wise. I figure we'll have lots of time to find the best deals on everything.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine