navy fiance

Online Users: 1,235 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

laplata Posts : 1 Registered: 11/1/09
navy fiance
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 4:35 PM

I was recently engaged on the 22 of October, it was completely sweet. Problem is we want to get married toward the end of 2010. He will be leaving January 2nd for afghanistan. :( He will be gone for six months. My question is would it be okay to plan without him and suprise him with an amazing wedding that i put together? or do you think he would be upset that he didnt help. i feel like five months is a short amount of time to plan a wedding.

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Re: navy fiance
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: laplata

Honestly, most guys don't care. I would ask him about his ideas/plans/how much he wants to be involved as soon as possible and go from there. Five months isn't a lot of time to plan a wedding, but it can be done. You may able to deal with the bigger things (locations, caterer, baker, officiant, etc.) while he's gone and make "final details" (food, design, etc.) when he gets back. I think a lot of this will depend on your area and how big of an event you are having, too. Good luck!

Caitlin & Michael ~ 9/19/08-forever <3

wedding website

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: laplata

I would talk to him, soon. He may want to help, which he can do before he leaves. Then you guys will have talked about ideas and stuff, so you know what to go on.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: laplata

While what Jellybean said is very true, there are a lot of guys who only want to show up the day of, you should definitly talk to your FH and ask him how much he wants to participate in the planning. If he does want to participate in it, you guys can always put ideas together before he leaves, then maybe you can do all the vendor finding and last minute details yourself, but atleast it will still include what he envisions. If he is one of those guys who wants to be included in the planning, he would probably be very hurt if you assumed he didn't care.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: laplata

Talk to him and find out what he wants - it's his day too.

And I've helped plan a wedding in a month, so 5 is no big deal if that's what you decide to do. You'd be surprised about what you can get done.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 10:03 AM Go to message in response to: laplata

I would ask him what he wants to be done. Maybe he does want to help you plan or maybe he doesn't care. The important thing is to ask him because it's his day too. You wouldn't want to plan and then him getting upset that he had no say in the planning.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Paiged2011 Posts : 5 Registered: 9/29/09
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: laplata

Hey,

I'm a Navy Fiance too... and my FH is currently deployed. My FH wanted to be involved in the planning as much as possible and we planned on getting married in October of next year but he will be gone until May. What we decided to do was look around at as many ideas as possible before he left to see what kind of general ideas we had for our dream wedding. Then after he left I began booking the big things like the venue, officant, photographer, and caterer.

I plan on leaving all of the details to finish up together when he gets back. For example, I picked a caterer that I thought we would like, but we won't pick our menu till he gets back. For the venue, I sent him pictures and websites as much as possible and we decided together. Depending on where you FH is sent you might have the opportunity to plan a lot of things together via the internet.

As everyone else said, talk with him and see if he does want to be involved in the planning. As an extra bonus, I suggested that my guy plan the honeymoon. I'm leaving it all up to him and I am looking forward to the surprise. We did agree on a budget and approximately guest list before any other plans were made and I highly recommend you consider this while he is there for you to talk to face to face.

Good Luck!

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 6:27 AM Go to message in response to: laplata

Yeah, i think you should talk to him about the wedding plan so that both of you can have the same opinion and views about the wedding preperation. Its not a good idea to surprise him on this matter.
pearl jewelry store

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine