THE RING!

Online Users: 1,287 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

Bridetobe2014 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/1/09
THE RING!
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 1:38 PM

Ok so I have been with my boyfriend for two years now we are pre-engaged so excited ,but I can't wait to get the real ring.He isn't going to propose to me until 2013 and its driving me crazy,but I also understand that we have to be stable and have our own house. So we are starting a joint account for money for the house and money for the wedding. We already set a date and we still have to book the place where we are getting married.

BridetoBe2014

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: THE RING!
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobe2014

Um, congrats?

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobe2014

Techically you are engaged if you both agreed on a wedding date. Think about it ;)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobe2014

Don't mean to sound rude, but can you explain pre-engaged? Because I feel like if two adults agree to get married, then that makes them engaged.

Lilypie - (8e8A)

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Diva,

Some people believe in pre-engagement. I will explain it as how I once believed/how i see it (I no longer believe in pre-engagement or un-official engagement.)

When somebody believes in a pre-engaement they have usually been talking to their partner for some time now about the future and they see marraige eventually. They are getting excited about the premise and so they start doing some visualizing and day dreaming about the day--and to make themselves seem legitimate in these thoughts they call themselves "unoffically engaged" or "pre-engaged."

Usually, friends and family aren't aware of the plans insight (most of the time these "unoffically engaged" people are young) because they are too frightened to tell them and because the plans are not "official."

While they might be researching--they are not actively planning.

I once considered myself "unofficially engaged"--now I consider myself "not engaged" however I am probably doing very similar things as this poster--my long-term boyfriend and I are doing lots of research for the future and creating some different inspiration board-like things. These will all help the eventual planning and booking when we are more actively planning our wedding in about a year. It will also give us an idea of what kind of budget we want to have and what kind of money we should be putting away for the big day.

Hope I explained it well.

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I couldn't have said it any better myself BTB- but I think the original poster may be getting a little too far ahead of herself. The wedding date is 2013? It's great to plan ahead but this is four years down the line... a lot can change in 4 years. On that note, goodluck! And I mean that sincerely.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

actually jersey he is "proposing" in 2013, the wedding will be in 2014

misslavender Posts : 4 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 7:55 PM Go to message in response to: Bridetobe2014

All I have to say 3 years is far away. And I would be cautious about putting your money together with someone. I think that pre-engagements are cop outs for guys to not have to think about making a full commitment, and If I have to wait 3 years on top of already dating 2 year to just get the ring then I would be gone, but I do understand being financially stable, but a ring doesn't cost that much money.

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 9:27 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Okay so the proposal is 4 years away & the wedding is 5 years away... same advice as stated previously.

NoseInTheGrass Posts : 31 Registered: 11/1/09
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobe2014

My boyfriend and I have talked about getting married for...2 years or so. We've been dating for a little over 4 years. I'm pretty sure he's gonna actually propose to me this winter sometime, probably around Christmas.

I research wedding stuff all the time and I suppose I consider myself "preengaged". I've already picked out a ring I want (I'm picky about that. I don't want a diamond and preferably I want them to use recycled metal) and we talk about general things we want at our wedding and where to have it a lot.

If we do get "officially" engaged this Christmastime, we'll still probably won't get married until late 2011ish.
Sometimes I wake up with my nose in the grass.

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 5:18 AM Go to message in response to: Bridetobe2014

Hey, thats cool. Keep us informed on your wedding preperation.
pearl jewelry store

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine