When is it ok to begin planning?

Online Users: 1,314 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 9

FutureMrsJRS Posts : 9 Registered: 11/9/09
When is it ok to begin planning?
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 2:03 PM

Hello Everyone! My boyfriend has just joined the military and will be leaving basic training soon. We are in premaritial counseling, something we wanted to do but we were not sure if he will be stationed here in order for us to do it. And he has already asked for permission to marry me (we didn't want to start premarital counseling without it). It just feels like everything is all mixed up because he is leaving.
We want to get married in August 2010. He doesn't have money for a ring right now, and I don't think he will be able to propose until after basic training. I was wondering if it would be ok to start planning now? I don't want everything to be in a hurried, stressful, rush. ( I know there will be stress) But I feel odd planning, when we are kind of engaged, yet no ring... Everything seems all mixed up. Any advice?
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Future Mrs. S. 

SoontobeMrsGlover Posts : 79 Registered: 9/14/09
Re: When is it ok to begin planning?
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

If you've already talked about it, even set a date and planned premarital counseling, then you're engaged... ring or no ring. If money for the ring is an issue and you must have one, you can go nearly anywhere and get an inexpensive band to signify the engagement. So start planning!

starlightdc Posts : 12 Registered: 10/15/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

we have a date, venue, and planner but i'm not getting the ring till the 21st. its just the way our timeline worked out and because he wanted to plan a special proposal and that was the weekend that worked. people here say we are engaged but i don't feel like we are without the ring.
i think as long as you've talked about it and your guy is totally on board with it, there isn't any reason not to be planning. but yes, it feels weird.

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 4:41 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

I think yoy should start the preperation for the engagement. When you guys have talked about it, then why not start the preperation soon. Once he gets back from training you won't have much time.
pearl jewelry store

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

Congratulations first off! You should definitely start planning for the wedding day. Obviously pay attention to cancellation fees and important dates with deadlines for payment, confirmation of the number of guests, menu selections, etc. It's better to be prepared. Plus this will keep you busy while he is gone for basic training. And when your FH gets back from basic training he will be thrilled that youve helped narrow down all of the options. It's a win/win if you ask me! Goodluck and have fun!

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

Ok, I'm going to tell you what a lot of the women on here would. You do not need a ring to be engaged. A ring a material object that could melt and turn to ash with no significance to your marriage. The dictionary says that engaged means "pledged to be married; betrothed". By two adults agreeing to get married and setting a date, you are engaged. If you have a date and you know that's the day you both want to be married, then you start planning.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

SoontobeMrsGlover Posts : 79 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

100% agree.

FutureMrsJRS Posts : 9 Registered: 11/9/09
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

Thank you guys! I have started planning, it is such a wonderful time in my life. I'm truly enjoying it!

Future Mrs. S. 

darylicel Posts : 28 Registered: 11/23/09
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 10:44 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

i think there is nothing wrong planning your wedding in advance. just for my opinion, i think that if you would do it earlier, chances are you can save up in so many things like the expenses, time and you could have a wide variety of choices when it comes to choosing where would you like to do the ceremonies and wedding venues too.
Wedding venue in Berkshire Country House Weddings

JenniferWillson Posts : 70 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 10:32 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsJRS

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine