Christmas Present for Under $15

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 22

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Re: Christmas Present for Under $15
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

My FH's family is really into board games too. I've played Buzzword with them before, but I don't really remember much about the game so I'm no help on that one. BUT, I would also recommend Scattergories... that's one we can play for hours!

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I know I'm a bit late...but how about Taboo. It's a word game and always popular when we have people over.

Married 9.20.08

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Ladies,

You've all got great ideas for board games. For two (ie the Christmas present), consider checkers, backgammon, chess, cribbage. There are some really lovely backgammon and chess sets out there at reasonable prices. We have a small, magnetic backgammon set for travel.

For a group, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Monopoly (our family fav), Clue. There are tons of great choices.

Bear in mind that when you are playing with children, you can't "let them win". That totally defeats the idea of a game. You can, however, pick games where the kid has a great chance of winning, in other words, it's pure luck. Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, etc., are good for that.

My father used to play chess with me. While I was learning, he would give himself a handicap, like taking his own queen off the board. I think that's acceptable, when playing a skill game with uneven ability. When I started beating him, he removed the handicap and we played on equal terms.

I know that most of you don't have kids around, not yet, but it's worth having a couple of luck-only kids games for your future kids and young visitors today.

Some years back I was babysitting a 6-year old daughter of one of my friends. I got out Chutes and Ladders, which is a pure-luck game. She said to me "Let me win this time."

I said "OH NO. If you win, it's because you played better than me. You have to play your best to win, and I'm going to play my best. I'm not letting anyone win around here."

You should have seen the look on her face when she did, in fact, win. She was overjoyed. She experienced the thrill of winning on her own merits (ie luck in this case), and not because someone let her win. That kid was walking on air!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Ladies,

Another great, cheap gift, but not suitable for Christmas, is minor league baseball tickets. Minor league ball is a real bargain. We used to go as a family all the time when my children were little.

They get to see better, because the seats are closer to the field. There are all kinds of wacky fan-involvement games before and after the game, and during the inning breaks. One glorious day, one of my sons won four tickets to a future game by being the first kid to put on a frozen-solid t-shirt.

It's a lot of fun and much cheaper than major league tickets. Keep that in mind for a spring or summer birthday gift.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB, shocking but totally agree on playing with kids. Cannot LET them win. I once dated a guy (BRIEFLY but far too long) who insisted that everyone let his daughter win whatever we played, including my son and my nephew (the same age and y ounger as his daughter) Anyway, it was so horrible to play with her, she was so incredibly spoiled and her older brother, a charming young boy who wanted a tiny amount of attention from dad but never got it, had to go along with this as well. I always wondered what happened to them, but broke up with him long, long, long ago. Letting kids win, not good, playing games that are pure luck where they MAY win, great.

PS

To follow up on AOTB, so is college hockey. awesome, cheap and super fun!! Often get to meet the players as well. We use to LOVE going, and the kids really had a great time too!! Cheap night, tons of fun, just a great time all around.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P., People Offended by Offended People

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 8:58 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

DH says: "Best bet for a game that would be good for a group and for just two
would be The Perfect Ten. This is a trivia game in which each
player/team is given ten multiple-choice trivia questions, one in each
of ten categories. In round one, each player/team tries to answer each
of the questions. Once both players/teams are done, the other player
(who has the answers) will tell them how many they got correct (but not
which questions they got correct). Assuming neither player got all ten
correct, each player/team gets to ask for the correct answer to one of
the questions and then tries to answer the remaining nine questions
(these are the same questions as before). Rounds continue until one
player/team gets all ten questions correct, and that team scores points
based on how many rounds it took and how close the other team was to
completing the ten. This combines trivia with some strategy as you try
to figure out which questions you got incorrect in prior rounds so you
know which ones to change the answers to.

In terms of a group game, if she likes word-association games, I
would recommend 25 Words or Less. In this game, the group is split
into two teams. One player from each team stands up and looks at a
card containing five words. The players then bid back and forth as to
how few words it will take them to get their teammates to say the five
words on the card ("I can do it in 20 words...I can do it in 18 words,
ok do it"). The team that wins the bidding then has one minute and the
clue giver cannot say more words than the number they bid while giving
clues (additionally, charades are NOT allowed). If the team guesses
all five words, they win the card, otherwise the other team wins the
card. First to ten cards (or whatever you set as your goal) wins."

I would add that he left out our favorite game because you said you hate Charades. It's called Time's Up. Basically, you pair up (or get in teams). You pick 40 cards with "famous" people's names on them (famous being a very relative word). Three rounds. In the first round, you take turns giving clues to get people to guess the name on the card. No passing, but you can tell them almost anything about it. Once all 40 names are guessed, round is over. The second round, using the same 40 names (so you've heard them once) is one word, one guess. You can pass cards you don't know and if your teammate guesses wrong, go on to the next card. The third round (and why we didn't recommend it) is Charades, with the same 40 names and one guess.

I'm not sure it'd be an ideal game for you, given your preference for no Charades, but it is a TON of fun. You need at least 4 people though.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Karebear, thank you so much!!!

All of those games actually sound so good!
Even the Times Up one with the chardades--for some reason I think I would be more okay with that because by then the group has heard the name twice--maybe...

Thank you so much for you and your husband's suggestions! I am going to look into all 3! They sound exactly like the type of games they like to play!

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

You're very welcome! I knew this was right up DH's alley. Since you're at least slightly interested in Time's Up, I'll add that I HATE the charades round but still adore the game. We've played it at big and small parties and I don't think anyone has ever disliked it. (Some people aren't so good at it, but even our friends who are AWFUL ask to play every single time they come over. We bought it for them as part of their wedding gift.)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine