Bride & Father AND Groom and Mother Dance

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

TeahsBride Posts : 13 Registered: 7/2/09
Bride & Father AND Groom and Mother Dance
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:12 AM

I'm not all that close with my father but i do want to dance with him at my wedding. I had a hard time trying to find an appropriate song. My Finace thought that if we picked a great song we could both dance with our parents at the same time. Does anyone know what song would work for something like that. Ohhhh and my wedding is 8 days away!!!!!!! Please help.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Bride & Father AND Groom and Mother Dance
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:18 AM Go to message in response to: TeahsBride

I have to be honest - I am not a fan of this. I understand your situation, but I think this might be a little unfair to the MOG. If she and her son are close, I think she should have a moment or two to dance with her son in spotlight.

You don't have to dance with your dad to the entire song. A minute or two is enough. What about something a little more upbeat - like "My Girl" ?

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Your right... and I did think this may be unfair to her. My father is a horrible dancer... LOL... by his own admission. UpBeat will not work. I just find alot of the typical songs very personal... I don't want to get personal. any other suggestions if we were to do our own dance.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: TeahsBride

I love my Dad but he wasn't that Dad that you hear about in the traditional father daughter songs that can (not all do) get rather sappy.

I felt that I was sort of lying by dancing to a song like that.

We danced to 'The Way You Look Tonight' by Frank Sinatra. It's not overly father daughter sappy, but it's a great classic song.

Something like that might really work for you too!

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm thats a great idea. I am the same I love my dad but we are not that close and a sappy song would be disingenuous. Your suggestion is great I think I may copy you!
wedding tickers

RohitaS Posts : 8 Registered: 10/28/09
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: TeahsBride

What do you think about these songs?

• Hero ; Mariah Carey
  • Have I Told You Lately That I Love You ; Rod Stewart
  • I Wish You Love ; Natalie Cole
  • That's Amore ; Dean Martin
  • Unforgetable ; Nat King Cole
  • Wind Beneath My Wings ; Bette Midler
  • You Are The Sunshine of My Life ; Stevie Wonder
  • What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Hope it helps you!

I hope that you have a wonderful wedding day, don't think about anything bad with you and your dad that day....try to channel the good memories and remember always smile! :)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: TeahsBride

Dear TB,

Here's a think-outside-the-box suggestion.

Why not get all four parents (and steps, if necessary), bride, groom and line up Rockettes style and kick-dance? It doesn't take any huge dancing talent to do that. Arm on the next person's shoulder, kick with the right foot, kick with the left foot, repeat.

Two good songs come to mind: "New York New York" by Frank Sinatra. "You're The Top" by Cole Porter.

Thus you avoid the sappy boy-girl father/daughter dance, involve your mother and his father and have a great time.

Other family members, siblings, grandparents, wedding party, could join in after the first verse, or so.

RohitaS Posts : 8 Registered: 10/28/09
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

OMG the Rockette's idea is def the cutest thing I have ever heard. YOU have to do that!!
I think I am so going to do that at my wedding, what a fabulous idea!!!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 5:33 PM Go to message in response to: RohitaS

Dear Rohita,

It's a real problem-solver. Not everyone is a bride close to a father or a groom close to a mother. If you get everyone together in a kick-dance Rockettes type line, then you don't have to pair off boy/girl boy/girl. Just line 'em up in whatever order and have fun! I'd probably put the happy couple in the middle, but really anything goes.

I thought of another great song: "One" from A Chorus Line.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

We used "more I cannot wish you" from Guys & Dolls. (I think it was guys and dolls)

Misty

alleak135 Posts : 54 Registered: 5/15/09
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I too am not very close to my father and don't want an overly emotional or mushy song. I've come up with a list of some good songs. Maybe you could use some of those. We've also considered doing a joint song FH will be dancing with his grandmother because his mother has not been a part of his life since he was 6 and even though we will invite her he does not feel like she deerves that honor when she was not there for him.

My Wish- Rascal Flatts
You've Got a Friend in Me- Randy Newman
My Girl- Temptations
Stand By Me- Ben E. King
You Got a Hold on Me- Temptations
Lean on Me- Bill Withers

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 9:17 AM Go to message in response to: alleak135

Hey everyone...

Thanks for all of your advise. Love the rockettes idea but my Father is a horrible dancer by his own admission.. That may have been disasterious. Teah and I were married on Nov 7th and had a wonderful night. Turned out that Teah's mother was more then happy to share this dance with us. He actually danced with his mother and grandmother at the smae time. We danced to "What a wonderful world" It was perfect... and I found out it was my father's favorite song also... (because it is so short... see the horrible dancer comment!)

It was a beautiful song but not sappy at all. thanks again. xo

starlett23 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/25/09
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 7:17 AM Go to message in response to: TeahsBride

Glad to hear everything went well! I think the rockettes would be a great idea, and in my opinion, it seems like a good excuse for someone who's not the best dancer to just let loose and have some fun. It doesn't matter much if everyone stays on rhythm exactly. I would also prefer to have the mother son dance and father daughter dance seperate. I think it would allow you to play specific songs that were special to each pair. Everyone's gotta have their own style though, it sounds like you picked the perfect song for your situation.

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: TeahsBride

I am so very glad things turned out well. Thank you so much for letting us know. I wish you the very best holiday season, because I know it won't be the same without your Dad. I also wish you a lifetime of love and happiness in your marriage!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine