Bridesmaids dresses have to match the tuxedos?

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

MrsWoolfy Posts : 3 Registered: 2/10/09
Bridesmaids dresses have to match the tuxedos?
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 2:28 PM

Hi Everyone!
I can't seem to figure out what to do about my bridesmaids dresses. I found this slate blue color I love but there is only one style dress that I think is ok. Even if I do choose this dress, the tuxedos do not have the same color. My options would be to have the girls in slate blue and the guys in a dark blue OR pick a bridesmaid dress that I like the style of in sangria (a purple that my fiancee likes) and have the guys in the same color. I am open to any other suggestions!

soontobeaBoden Posts : 8 Registered: 8/26/09
Re: Bridesmaids dresses have to match the tuxedos?
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWoolfy

I think that having them in different shades of blue would look really neat! A friend of mine just got married and her bridesmaids wore beautiful eggplant purple dresses and the boys were in black tuxes with lavender vests and ties. Her photos look amazing and it worked out really well.

My bridesmaids will be in burnt orange dresses and the fellas are in black tuxes with yellow vests and ties.

I think it's becoming more and more common for the bridesmaids and groomsmen to be in the same colour family but not matching exactly. :) Hopefully you figure it all out! I'm sure either way it'll look amazing. :D
planning a wedding

EWF Posts : 158 Registered: 7/16/09
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWoolfy

i am very traditional when it comes to men's fashion, especially when it comes to formal wear. i prefer a black tuxedo in all situations. so our guys are wearing their tuxes with black bow ties and wearing a gunmetal pocket square to match the bridesmaid's dresses.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: EWF

Why would your groomsmen and bridesmaids have to match exactly? I've never heard of the girls in a pink dress and the guys in a pink tux! That's a little obsurd! My girls are in a baby blue dress with a silver sash and the guys are in a black tux with white shirts and a silver vest. Matching but no where near exact. I am not having my guys in powder blue tuxes. Way to seventies for me

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

BriansAzBride- I think she was asking about the guys' vest matching the girls' dresses. Not the whole tux.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Agd1017- I think I might disagree with you here. Look back at her original post. She said "Even if I do choose this dress, the tuxedos do not have the same color."

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 8, 2009 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: EWF

I'm with EWF. If you were asking about accessories, I still like neutrals for the men. Blue maids with guys in blue vests and pocket squares (or pink or burgundy, etc.) seems much too prom for my taste.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: myra

I agree, when it comes down the matching tie and vest, it does look too much like prom. I think having a splash of the BM color in with the tux is OK, but I wouldn't do every accessory on the tux in the color.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 2:18 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

If you want the guys in a colour, not black, why not just pick one that coordinates with the girls colour?

My girls wore green; the guy's vests were a cream/yellow colour. They coordinated, but didn't match.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Jan10Jenny Posts : 8 Registered: 12/3/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

If the girls are in slate blue dresses (sounds so beautiful!) - you could always put the guys in gunmetal gray/silver ties and pocket squares (are you putting them in vests?). You could tie the 2 looks together a bit more in the

boutonnieres with those matching the bridesmaid's flowers - and add a bit of the blue into the ribbon accent.

long story short - no need to match, but coordinating with the same color pallet is a great move.

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: Jan10Jenny

i really like the idea of the slate blue dresses!! what if you did grey tuxes for the guys? My friend got married in may and the girls and the guys were all in light grey/silver tuxes. it looked really nice!! and i could see your slate blue looking even better against the grey!

or, if you wanted black tuxes, the guys could just have black vests, with maybe a slate blue tie.

but, no...you dont have to match exactly.

MrsWoolfy Posts : 3 Registered: 2/10/09
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Thanks for all the responses! There are some great ideas here. My bridesmaids and I are going shopping for their dresses Friday and I am excited. I'm going to look for dresses that look good on them and then work with the colors.

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWoolfy

A-Line Sweetheart Neckline One-Shoulder Strap with Ruffles and Split on teh Skirt Floor Length Zipper Chiffon prom dress
Save up to 24% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $129.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-sweetheart-neckline-oneshoulder-strap-with-ruffles-and-split-on-teh-skirt-floor-length-zipper-chiffon-prom-dress-p-31970.html

sugarbox Posts : 44 Registered: 10/13/11
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 1:22 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWoolfy

I think royal blue bridesmaid dresses are good,you can choose this color .Maybe you can find bridesmaid dresses online,it's a good way to get dresses. I know some good sites and i want to recommend a site to you,try ulovebridal.co.uk,this site is well,there are many beautiful dresses you can choose and the price is cheap,you can accept it.Just try it.

kalama Posts : 299 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 8, 2012 1:55 AM Go to message in response to: MrsWoolfy

You can have a look at the online wedding dress store: Asapbay, you can find my beautiful blue dress there!Here is the url link,wish it can do some help to you!http://www.asapbay.com/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine