save the dates?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
save the dates?
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 5:10 PM

who is sending them?
home made or ordered?
sending engagement pictures with them?

I'm just curious what every one is doing. I want to send them out but my aunts are giving me a hard time about it; "its a waste of money" I plan on making them myself....im into stuff like that.

let me know what you think

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

FutureMrsBabler Posts : 104 Registered: 5/18/09
Re: save the dates?
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 5:48 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

Save the dates are definitely not a necessity... but they are nice touch, IMO! :)

We are sending STD magnets out around 5 months before our wedding. FH and I both have quite a few friends who live a ways out of town, and figured it would be a nice reminder for those who might not have written it down on their calendars already. We had thought about making our own... but we found some really neat ones on magnetstreetweddings.com that can be completely personalized for a great price, so we are just going with that. Our photographer does a free engagement session with a wedding booking, so we thought it might be fun to show those off a little, too!

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. 

~Dr. Seuss

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I would like to do them, just as a reminder, I guess. Our wedding is a year off, so some people may forget, I guess. I saw some really cute ones, that are a calendar, with the wedding date circled. I can make those myself.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

Save the dates are a fairly new "tradition." You certainly do not need them unless you have lots of OOT people who might need time to make travel arrangements or unless you're having a holiday wedding or a wedding at some time when hotels will be packed (a major football game, marathon, graduation, etc.) Send your invites 8 weeks ahead--most people should be able to clear their social calendars with that much notice. The down-side of save-the-dates is that if you change your mind on someone's invite, you're in a pickle if you don't invite them. by the way, just curious, what do your aunts have to do with your decision? Are they paying for the wedding?
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: FmF

We sent ours out during the summer. We decided to do them just because word of mouth wasn't being spread around and we have out of town (state) guests. Plus it gave us a good excuse to put our wedding website on our save the dates so that everyone will know more about our wedding.

We used magnets and everyone loved them!! I got them at www.magnetstreet.com. You can get a whole bunch for a decent price :) We put our engagement pics on them. I really like that site because you can be really creative with the magnets.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: FmF

I am sending out STD magnets. I have out of town guest and I just think it is a nice touch. Magnetstreetweddings is a good place to get them but I designed my own on vistaprint.com. It was fun!

loveisjoy Posts : 85 Registered: 2/6/09
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I'm sending save the dates. I'm having flyers made up.

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I am not sure if this will work or not, but here is a pic of the magnets I ordered from vistaprint.com. I uploaded my own pic and designed it. For 100 magnets with shipping it was only $62.34!

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I also ordered ours from MagnetStreet. Actually just got them yesterday, and they turned out great! Pretty reasonably priced: ordered 100 save the date magnets, plus return address labels for $186. Not bad....

Our wedding is July 3, 2010, but I am sending out the save the dates now because it is a destination wedding and I want everyone to have enough time to make travel plans, get time off work, etc.

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: myra

they have absolutly nothing to do with it........it's just frustrating.
and i have family that live out of state, like you said, that's why i want to send them. i think im going to make them myself....im pretty crafty :)

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: FmF

I've decided not to do them. All of the out of town family has been informed of the date, and I really don't want to lock my guest list in too early...that's the one thing I am purposely pushing back until the last minute! Everyone else who I really want there already knows about the date. Plus, even if you DIY, that's still some cash that I can spend on something else that's more important to me.

Renee86 Posts : 159 Registered: 5/30/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I see you are planning on some OOT guests so don't mind your aunts, go ahead and do them.

We are sending them as everyone including ourselves will be OOT guests. Ours will be partly DIY and partly bought. We are getting magnets made(vista print) and including them in our STDs along with e-pics.

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

http://reneenphillip.weebly.com

mikesangel4lf Posts : 26 Registered: 4/11/09
Posted: Oct 4, 2009 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I am using them as sort of an announcement and save the date. Most of our families are out of town and would have to travel. Also my mother and his are both a little hard off so they are going to need the extra time for putting money away for various expenses.

Gay Marriage Pictures, Images and Photos

NL2010 Posts : 108 Registered: 6/27/09
Posted: Oct 4, 2009 5:52 PM Go to message in response to: mikesangel4lf

I am going to send out save-the-dates to the few family members that we have OOT just to remind them of the date and so that they get a bit of extra time to make travel arrangements and plans. I bought a DIY invitation kit on sale awhile back for $5 and I thought that I'll just take a few of the invitation cards (or reply cards) and print my STD onto them. I'm having a really small wedding so I'll have leftover ones anyway.

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 6:02 PM Go to message in response to: NL2010

I want to send out STDs but bot sure when to do it or where to get them! I want to do magnets WITH our engagement picture on it! Our wedding isn' until May, 2011. I think we need to get our engagement pictures done first though!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine