What can I do now??

Online Users: 1,365 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 14

klmhek Posts : 27 Registered: 9/23/09
What can I do now??
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 2:31 PM

My FH (yay!) proposed on my birthday, Sept 8. He asked my dad for permission, but my dad told him ONLY if we waited til I was done with school. Yeah yeah, I had issues with that at first, but I realized my dad is paying for it, and it will be easier for me in the long run to not have to rush the plans while handling school at the same time.. ANYWAY.. My question is:

We are planning to get married May 2011. This date is not set in stone, but as of right now that is our goal. That is a little under 2 years away. So I feel like planning wise, there is nothing really for me to do. We have general ideas of who, what, where, and when.. But have been told to hold off on those details until closer to the date.

BUT I WANT TO PLAN! So what is there to do? Is anyone else at a "stand-still"? I would just like to do something to make me feel "engaged" lol Its no fun planning a wedding if you can't plan..

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do? Or things to think about??
save the date

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Re: What can I do now??
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 2:56 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

You can still plan, research, get excited, dream, etc. without actually BOOKING things! Go get a ton of bridal magazines and a 3-ring binder, and make a little "idea book" of everything you want! Research invitation styles, favors, decor, and clip out the ones you like...

You can even do research on honeymoon desinations! That could take MONTHS to plan because there are so many wonderful places out there! Make a spreadsheet of the ones you like with the price comparisions, what's included in the packages, etc.

If you do all of this preparation before hand, then when it's time to BOOK things, you'll have all of your ideas and everything organized! And if you change your mind between now and when you start planning (which you will), just replace those things in your idea book! :)

SmileSee our wedding slideshow at: http://www.josephmark.com/RyanandJennifer/

Tofu Posts : 66 Registered: 4/2/09
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hi and congrats!

I recently went to a wedding show and when I told vendors it was a 2 year engagment many of them said it is not actually too early to start collecting brochures and starting wedding plans... One place I am looking at has already booked a 2012 wedding!!!!

I don't think May 2011 is so far away that you have to just sit there and twiddle your thumbs. I am hoping that I will cut back on the work in the 2nd year so that wedding planning is enjoyable and never (rarely?) stressful due to time constraints.

Having a longer engagement can give you time to scout better prices and work on DIY projects. You can come up with a tentative guest list so that you have an idea of your capacity when you begin looking for venues. You can also use this time to collect addresses.

Also, if you are planning an outdoor wedding, you may want to visit the venues now because by May 2010 (or even sooner) they could be booked. Unless you have already seen what the venues look like in nice weather or you live somewhere with nice weather year-round, this is something that you could get started on at this point, even though it seems early. It can take a long time to find the right venue and IMO it's important to see an outdoor venue at a similar time of year to get a sense of how it will look.

I haven't started looking for a band yet, but I suspect that will be a challenge that wouldn't hurt to start early on...

Otherwise, plan an engagement party!

Cool

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 9:01 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

I think you can definitely start planning! In fact, as a bridal counselor I think the earlier you start planning the less stress you will be under as the big day approaches! Go for it!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

klmhek Posts : 27 Registered: 9/23/09
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

thanks girls for your advice! i definitely plan to start the whole "wedding binder" thing. since i've been completely wedding obsessed way before i even got engaged, i have plenty of bridal magazines to go through and get ideas from..

i appreciate your help!!

save the date

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

How about planning an engagement party? Doesn't have to be anything big, but I definitely had fun planning ours, and somehow felt more "officially" engaged after our first wedding-related event :)

Also, it's definitely not too early to start looking thru bridal magazines, and online for ideas on gowns, bridesmaids dresses, flowers, reception locations and ideas, etc. Granted, a specific dress might not still be available by the time you start really shopping, but you will at least have an example of what you are looking for. Have fun! :)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Congrats! You can start by going to bridal shows/fairs and looking at magizines and bridal websites to get an idea. You can clip out things and bookmark websites that you are interested in. That way you can still feel engaged and still feel like you are planning :) Enjoy!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Soon2BAPrice Posts : 50 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 6:28 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

there's plenty you can do! plan an e-party, like 1 said...!

research ideas, etc...and not just that, one of the first things to tack down anyways, is a guest list and budget! guest lists can change, but it's something you can still start now! not just that, but you can choose things that will still be around then, like bouquets you want, your colors, your favors etc...

not just that, but say a place is offering a special for book in a certain month? well, some pleaces offer that, not based one your DATE but on your booking time! so, say a reception hall now is $1000...BUT they offer a limited time only thing at $750 if you book in month of XXX...put down your deposits, and take advantage of the deal! if your dad lets you, of course...i'm sure he would, if he knows your booking for the time you'd originally planned, in May of 2011...

if you pick your colors, and see little things you'd like, pick them up! i bought the little favor bags for my candy bar, a week after we picked a date...which was 9 months before the wedding! why? b/c full price, they were $17.96/25....BUT, i got them on sale, for $2.50! well, clearance! not just that, but if you want summery colors, buy flowers NEXT summer(if you do silks)...you won't have to worry about wether the main flowers you want will be available...by stuff in the "off season"...want little white twinkling xmas lights? buy them after xmas, when stores have xmas stuff 5-75% off! one thing about a long engagement, you have time to find great deals!

Planner4U Posts : 2 Registered: 9/29/09
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 12:30 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Congratulations!!! Collect magazines, clip pictures and build a notebook of ideas. Start thinking about colors. Start building a list of potential guests and collect addresses; build a database for future use.

DO NOT spend money as you may change your mind as you get closer to your actual date.

Now is a good time to interview potential vendors. The sooner you start, the better as many brides are fighting against time in an effort to make everything happen.

If I can assist you in any way, don't hesitate to contact me: www.BlessedBeginningsbyMeme.com

Good Luck!!!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

I agree with what the other ladies said. Start dreaming and researching, but be cautious before setting anything in stone or making any deposits so far in advance.

The one thing I would definitely wait on is choosing your bridal party. Friendships change over a few years or even months, so hold off on that decision.

Oh, and most important thing to plan for? Money and finances. Make a budget, figure out what you can save each month, stick to it, and good luck.

haleybaley28 Posts : 3 Registered: 11/10/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Congrats! We have the same birthday :-)

Look in your area for vendors: find florists, photographers, venues, caterers, etc. Many may offer an early booking discount!

Get some bridal magazines, look through websites, focus on getting ideas! Think of colors, wedding party choices, guest list, themes, etc.

Have fun!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

carebear87 Posts : 4 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

I'm in the same situation as you, and I agree with what just about everyone else has said: start narrowing things down. Do you want an indoor or outdoor wedding? Do you want it in a church, historic building, theater, museum, art gallery? Do you have any ideas for colors? Start researching what flowers are in season and keep your favorites in mind for your bouquets. Look around at invitations online and narrow down what types of styles your drawn to. Research local photographers and their prices. Keep a list of songs you like to give to whatever DJ you choose. As some PPs have said, the advantage of a long engagement is the extra time to compare prices! Good luck and congratulations!!

FutureMrsLevine Posts : 77 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

I am in the same situation! I just got engaged on Christmas and our wedding date is 09.10.11, almost 2 years away! I am a full-time nursing student and don't graduate until December 2010. I want so badly to start planning, so I've already bought some magazines and started finding styles I like. We've already picked out a few colors we like and have been thinking about locations (my family lives in MD and his family lives in FL). I have also figured out a budget (granted - things could change in the next two years, but at least we'll have a estimate)! I've also been calling family and friends and asking for any ideas on saving money (our budget is $2,500!) and many of them have offered to help us out (my brother is in photography school, my grandma makes cakes, and his dad and brother are musicians!). I am also having a DIY wedding, so I have started to look around at the local stores to get ideas on how I want to do everything. With being a full-time student, I will need the two years to get everything accomplished. I am, however, very eager to go dress shopping, and although it is too early to buy anything, in my opinion, it is never too early to go look and figure out what you like. I hope this helps you, and congratulations!

"The sky is not the limit, 'cause there are footprints on the moon!"

InLoveWDRM Posts : 52 Registered: 12/3/09
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

my date is further than yours and i have already started looking at invites, colors, dresses, decorations. It will be so much easier when time comes to buy things if you have an idea of what you want. so sure go ahead and start looking and planning.! =)
CONGRATSSSSS

Future Mrs. McMahan as of December 24,2009 !

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ  I SAID YES =) Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

RobininMI Posts : 7 Registered: 1/5/10
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: InLoveWDRM

Oh definitely start getting Bridal Magazines and planning. You can plan and research without booking and it will be so fun and exciting. I've hardly been engaged two weeks and I'm already dragging my poor Fiance' around looking at things lol

Congratulations on your engagement!

Robin

Danny and Robin

Engaged 12-24-2009

link=http://www.weddingcountdown.com
img noborderhttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/fw9pel9k.png[/img]
[/link]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift