WP Attire - Can't figure out what colors will work together!

Online Users: 1,266 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

SHC2010 Posts : 14 Registered: 7/29/09
WP Attire - Can't figure out what colors will work together!
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 9:47 PM

Ok, so I've been planning on having my BMs wear a teal-ish blue and have orange and yellow in the flowers and I never really thought to much about what the guys would wear, and now it's making me rethink all my colors. I'm not sure that I want them all to wear suits, would it look tacky if FH wore a suit and the GMs didn't wear jackets?
The wedding is going to be at 2 pm in the summer, so I'm thinking black would just be too dark. I then thought maybe a tan or khaki suit would be nice, however I and FH are both very pale and have light hair so I thought with my white dress we'd look washed out and he should wear something darker. FH already owns an olive green suit, and that's my latest idea. If he wore that and the GMs wore khaki pants what color shirts might look good? I don't really like green and orange together. I just don't really like green but I'm having trouble envisioning a color suit that would look good with the teal. Maybe I should go with black since it's basic even though it's earlier? If anyone has any thoughts or brilliant ideas I would appreciate your input.
Thanks!

wedding ticker

AJLM Posts : 49 Registered: 11/18/08
Re: WP Attire - Can't figure out what colors will work together!
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

You have a lot of options depending on your theme, and how formal casual you want to go. Have you thought about light gray? It will give some color with out looking really dark for an afternoon summer wedding. If you want casual you could have the guys in khakis with seer sucker jackets or something of the like.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Sep 19, 2009 12:04 AM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

I don't usually weigh in on questions about colors, but it's nearly midnight and I'm hanging out online while DH plays the playstation, (as we both have a beer!) so here I am.

Knowing a few things about color theory, I like to pick complimentary colors to go with one another. Without going too much into color theory, there are three primary colors: red, yellow and blue. When mixed with one another, they create the secondary colors: green, purple, and orange. Complimentary colors are one primary color and the secondary color made from the other two complimentary colors. For example, blue is a primary color. Its complimentary color is orange, which is made from the other two complimentary colors (red+yellow=orange). Similarly, if you take red as your primary color, it's complimentary color is made from blue and yellow (green). And yellow's complimentary color is made from red and blue (purple). Why are complimentary colors a big deal? Well, this might sound contradictory, but a color made from the other two primary colors makes your primary color stand out MORE. So with teal (primarily blue) as your major color, I would go with an orangish color as its compliment. Since teal is a greenish blue, I would go with a redish orange. (If none of that color stuff makes sense, I can try to explain it again, or you can just trust me on it. I know a LOT about this stuff!)

Ok, back to your questions. You asked whether 2:00 PM is too early to wear black. It depends on the formality of your wedding. If it's a formal (or formal-ish) wedding, I think you're Ok with black. If it's a more casual wedding, you might want to go with the khakis.

In either case, you could either have the guys wear teal (or white shirts with teal ties) to match the girls - or you could have them in complimentary colors. Either would look great - it's just up to you about how matchy you want your wedding to be. Personally, we had our BMs and GM in complimentary colors. The guys wore kilts in DH's tartan (red-ish with yellow and navy blue stripes). The girls wore indigo (looked great with the red-ish kilts) with navy blue sashes (technically matched the navy stripe in the guys kilts). Our overall color scheme was indigo/navy. I didn't worry about working the red into it, but the guys looked great.

So did that make sense? Basically, black or khaki is Ok, depending on the overall formality of your wedding. If it's a formal wedding, don't worry about what time it is (ours was also at 2, and the girls wore floor-length gowns and the guys wore tuxedo jackets with their kilts). If it's informal, don't worry about the time and just go with the khakis. Either way, teal to match the girls or reddish orange to compliment them would look good.

Hope that helps!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

SHC2010 Posts : 14 Registered: 7/29/09
Posted: Sep 19, 2009 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning back towards sticking with khaki and the teal/orange color scheme since it will be pretty informal.
Maybe I'll just have FH wear a darker colored shirt or tie so that we aren't so light. I just don't want us to look really washed out in our pictures. I guess there are also darker shades of khaki too that I can look into.
Thanks again!

wedding ticker

Orbital199 Posts : 92 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Aug 7, 2010 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: AJLM

Wow, I love that suite. Think I'm going to suggest that for the best man attire for my wedding.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Aug 10, 2010 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

I would just go with the black. Black is always a safe, classic color to go to, even if it's in the middle of summer. You can always give them a brighter colored vest and tie, or a bouttenier so it says "summer" more than "winter"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine