rockabilly/50's wedding help!!!

Online Users: 1,232 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

mrsCOOK Posts : 2 Registered: 10/21/08
rockabilly/50's wedding help!!!
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 12:10 PM

hi, we're getting married next year and trying to plan a rockabilly/50's wedding, our colors are going to be black, white and red, we want stripes and polka dots incorporated in it, just can't figure out how we want it and need some helpful hints and ideas. I want my dress to be different, but not sure how to find it. I want it to be white, but have black and white or red polka dots on it or have the frilly stuff underneath to have that idea, we want our wedding to be fun, we're going to have hot rods and hopefully have a live swing band there. We have plenty of time to plan this wedding so i'm going to start now...just need some ideas on all the basic stuff, hopefully someone can help :-)

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: rockabilly/50's wedding help!!!
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

I have several polka-dot pictures, including white/red/black decor. Just contact me through my website and I'll send them right out to you. Your dress doesn't necessarily have to be a "wedding dress," so you have lots of options. I've seen several full-skirted, tea length dresses in various collections. These might work for you. As for the polka dots, if you can't find them in the dress itself, you always can add a sash, use polka dotted ribbon on your bouquet, or add a funky accessory (polka-dot short gloves? a dotted headband?)

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

BackstromEvents Posts : 1 Registered: 11/17/08
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

MrsCook, as a professional wedding planner, I met dozens of brides in your circumstance- you want to plan the wedding yourself, but are feeling overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I'm trying not to sound like an advertisement for myself, but I HIGHLY suggest finding a wedding coordinator to help you. They can offer creative ideas of how to incorporate your themes/patterns, keep you on track with your to do list by sending regular reminders and suggestions, and then save you infinite stress by managing your wedding day for you. If you're interested in learning more, e-mail me at laurel at backstromevents dot com.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Laurel Farrer

Event Planner

www.backstromevents.com

banquetgal Posts : 6 Registered: 12/16/08
Posted: Dec 16, 2008 7:45 AM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

A couple things came to mind and thought I'd throw 'em out there : ) I've never worked a rockability wedding but have done a few for corporate themed parties.... Not sure your budget but here are some wacky/fun ideas for ya ;)

-Bridesmaids w/little neck sashes/bandanas tied cute to the side... You could find one of those lace mini-veils that go just over the eyes in red or black for that pop of color you're looking for and the other color could be utilized in shoe color or hair accesory (maybe a flower even?) I totally agree w/your idea of polka dot crinaline (spelling?? the puffy under dress material)

-Photobooth (either old school county fair kind, or for better quality but less nostalgia a manned digital booth... they cram big groups of people into them for great pics!! Dress up supplies would be awesome to go along with the photobooth so your guests could get in on the fun and would function as your guest book as you could have them (or a designated person) scrapbook the pics into an album and sign w/lil notes from them. Supplies could include 50's sunglasses (girls winged & guys goofy taped ones), wigs, juke box?, bandanas, coke bottles, old school microphone, maybe even some fake application tattoos!! etc.....

-You should have a soda fountain or something fun setup to go with the cake! Have it be an interactive station w/root beer floats (1919 keg root beer is the best), make your own sunday, maybe a little bit of cake? But you could save on cake $ and just get a small cake top for the pics and the wedding party while everyone else gets the dessert smorgashborg : )

-It'd be cool to serve mini hamburger hords and fun finger food like that! Pigs in a blanket dare I say?!

-The DJ would have to be willing to be in on the theme too.... outfit and all... A band would be even cooler yet... Also maybe even a couple swing dance instructors

-A cute vintage cake topper would be amazing...

-A 'sweet' idea for centerpieces would be icecream dishes (footed sundae bowls, banana split dishes etc) and fill them with deep red roses, add a spoon, some glitter sprinkles, place on top of an old record and make sure to have cool table numbers too (coke bottles w/number sticking out?)

Gosh...... SO MUCH FUN!!!

CONGRATS!! :) write back if you like/want more ideas.... I love this kind of stuff (creating/wedding industry)

nikkchikk Posts : 2 Registered: 1/16/08
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

We are doing a similar theme of Rockabilly/Glamour. Here is my Inspiration Board: http://photos.weddingbycolor.com/p/000/004/283/m/37437/p/photo/111879.jpg

Here is a GREAT example of a classy vintage wedding! Enjoy!
http://www.stylemepretty.com/2008/08/07/real-wedding-in-a-stephanie-james-dress/

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

Oh what a GREAT idea! I can't wait to see what you come up with. The PP's have some great ideas!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

TartDeco Posts : 1 Registered: 1/23/09
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 9:44 AM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

Hi there!

Just wanted to let you know that I am also planning a rockabilly wedding that is completely DIY. I have started a blog to help others because there isn't a lot out there on it. You might find it helpful- you can view it at www.TartDeco.blogspot.com.

As far as the dress, I am making my own using dresses I bought from a thrift store and a pattern from the 50s (resized to my measurements). I am buying some of the pieces, like a cherry red crinoline and matching pettipants, and having a corset made from material from my mother's wedding dress. I am extremely excited about it and will be journaling more details on my blog, including links and a discussion of how I am doing this.

Please stop by- maybe we can help each other!

Steph Lewin

Tart Deco

www.TartDeco.etsy.com

www.tartdeco.blogspot.com

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

Your wedding sounds like it's going to be SO cool! (Congrats on the engagement, by the way.) I looked up the dress designer that "nikkchikk" recommended in her post. The designer's direct website is www.stephaniejamescouture.com. I'd never heard of her before, but, I have to say, it sure looks like she would be able to create the kind of dress you're hoping for! If you also need vintage shoes, there's a place in L.A. (near Farmer's Market and the studio where Craig Ferguson tapes his TV show) that specializes in vintage-inspired shoes. Their website is www.remixvintageshoes.com. They can be pretty pricey, but sometimes they put stuff on sale, so keep checking the website. (As I recall, when I went into their store, they were also willing to give me a discount on a NON-sale pair of shoes, so you might try contacting them directly if shoes you like DON'T go on sale). Lastly, I wanted to mention that I have a vintage wedding website -- www.weddingspinster.com -- that features vintage wedding photos and information to help people plan their vintage weddings. I don't sell anything on the site, it's just there to help. You might try looking through it, to see if any of the old wedding photos that I've posted would give you any ideas for yours. I also have a lot of 1950s hairdo photos that I HAVEN'T posted yet, but I'll try to get them up, soon, in case you need vintage hairdo ideas, too. I hope some of this helps you! Good luck!

suzycop Posts : 12 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: Mar 12, 2009 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

Hi! Your wedding sounds like it's going to be so awesome!!! My photographer just let me & my FH know of his promotion where he'll give us a complimentary coffeetable book if we refer a client to him who signs with him- so here's his site: www.AshFotos.com

those freakin' books are sooo pretty that we really want one (so hopefully some bride will sign him on from here)- just please mention my name: Suzy Coppola!

good luck wedding planning everyone :)

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Apr 2, 2009 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

I just wanted to let you know that I HAVE now posted vintage 1950s hairdo photos on my website. If you want to give them a glance, go to:

www.WeddingSpinster.com
click on the "Zeroing In" link (at the top of the page)
then click on "1950s Hairdos"

Again, good luck with your wedding!

rchmarie2003 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/16/09
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 2:03 AM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

Have you checked out unique-vintage.com? I think they have the exact dress your describing and they're reasonably priced.I'm trying to plan a rockabilly wedding myself !

Iheartruby Posts : 1 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

I'm getting married on September 12th and we have planned a 50's/Rockabilly Theme as well, with black and white, lots of polka dots and yellow accents. We've also done it on a budget so Ive gotten pretty creative. Here is some of my ideas-

I found my dress on Etsy, which is a great source for all kinds of things handmade. Its a tea length strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and full tulle skirt. It was made to my custom measurements for just $360 by Ouma Clothing (picture from her sight below). I also liked the idea of doing a non-white shoe so I chose a pair of black peep toes with a ribbon rose decoration.
Fancy Formal

My mom and sister are making my a handmade birdcage veil and hair clip with silk flowers and guinea feathers for a very retro look. If you dont want to make a veil yourself SomethingBold.com has a good selection of really nice visor and birdcage veils.

I found our invitations at weddingpaperdivas.com- they were only about $100 for 50 invitations in a black and white dot with a thin trim in your choice of color (shown on their site in red). We had them printed in yellow and added a little yellow grosgrain ribbon bow on top to dress them up.

For my bridesmaids I was able to find this awesome polka dot halter dress on sale at Dillards which they are dressing up with yellow shoes and daisy hair flowers. All of us ladies are wearing the classic makeup with red lips. My mom even went as far as making herself a dress from an old 1950's pattern;
Sangria Polka-Dot Halter Dress

My fiance is going for a classic pinstripe pants and vest (from JCrew) and he and his groomsman are all wearing their Chuck Taylors

And of course the music is a big part of it so we are walking down the isle to Johnny Cash and creating our own rockabilly playlist for the wedding.

Some other links that I found to be great inspiration were polkadotbride.com and offbeatbride.com. The new issue of Martha Stewart Weddings (which you can also see on line) had some really fun retro ideas in it.

heathertaylor Posts : 37 Registered: 8/27/09
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

I put together an inspiration board for a friend of mine that sounds pretty close to what you're thinking about. Hope it helps!

Red, Blue, Black, Inspiration, Board, 50s, Rockabilly, Amy-jo tatum

P.S. The records are actually invitations! How amazing is that?

Looking for inspiration?

Check out my blog @ http://idoinspiration.blogspot.com

JayKayinlove Posts : 33 Registered: 1/22/09
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: mrsCOOK

hey i don't have a lot of ideas for your theme but i saw these dresses a little while ago and they seem to fit your theme.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Strapless-Rockabilly-Polkadot-Dress/dp/B0013IX140

http://www.amazon.com/Rockabilly-Satin-Halter-Dress-Sundress/dp/B0019AI88G/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: JayKayinlove

http://www.ellie-wedding-dress.com/product_1092.html

this site it awesome! My sister ordered her dress from a similar site (i'm going with this one) you can completely customize your dress. you can even draw up or take a picture of the exact dress you want and email it to them. they'll get you a quote and then you can decide if you want to order it. check out there other dresses too!
Photobucket Photobucket

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine