Wedding in 4 months

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

minobotbride Posts : 37 Registered: 5/21/09
Wedding in 4 months
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 3:24 PM

So, after getting engaged on July 31st, FH and I have decided to go for a December 2009 wedding! Instead of July 2010 like we'd talked about. We don't feel like waiting - we're long distance, and we're just sick of saying goodbye.
Which means I have 4 months and 10 days to plan my wedding!
Thankfully, we're going for uber-tiny: just me, FH, my parents, his parents, and the officiate for the ceremony. Which means we can have the ceremony basically anywhere we want.
I'm also not wearing a big white dress, or even a smaller white dress. It seems odd to me to spend upwards of $500 on something I'm going to wear once! So I'm going to find a nice, classic Little Black Dress that I can wear for a while, and actually use.
A few days after the little ceremony, my parents are going to throw a big reception party for us.
I'm so excited!!

Someday No Goodbyes - Minobot Forever, July 2010

SunnySanrio Posts : 70 Registered: 8/6/09
Re: Wedding in 4 months
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: minobotbride

Congratulations! I envy how simple you're making things! A LBD is such a cute idea and the first thing that came to mind was one of those bird cage veils, that would look super chic IMO! very Catherine Hepburn~

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

Thank you for the bird cage veil idea!!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: minobotbride

Dear Mino,

Sounds great! Sometimes the best thing it so decide, plan and execute in just a few months, without dragging it out F O R E V E R.

I hope it all goes great for you.

Lori82 Posts : 151 Registered: 3/21/08
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: minobotbride

Congratulations on your engagement! How exciting. I agree with aunt, sometimes if you plan weddings far in advance it just seems to take forever! I'm getting married next month, and we've been planning this for about 18 months.

Enjoy your wedding!

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: minobotbride

Congratulations. You and I have chatted before and I know how hard it is to have a long distance relationship particularly when you are in two different countries and the uncertainty that comes with that. I hear you about the goodbyes. My EH and I actually included in our vows:

I promise to appreciate you every single day and if ever I start to take you for granted I will remember the times we had to say goodbye, the many days in between and how we could not wait to be together again.

Your plans sound lovely yet achievable. Although I enjoy large weddings, there is an intimacy that cannot match that of a small ceremony. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the immigration process.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Tanis, you went the "fiance visa" route as far as immigration goes, correct?
We're not - I need to be married in Canada, for family reasons. But other than that difference, anything you'd like to pass along would be great!

All we really have to decide on now is where to get married... We may end up getting married in my parents' living room! :)

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

TanisJ,

I love those vows! FH and I were separated for 13 months as he was overseas in the military and those vows say exactly how I feel now that he's home and we're getting married later this month! Would it be ok, if I used them in my ceremony too? They are absolutely beautiful!

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

Oooh I'm so excited! I just booked the church for our wedding ceremony!!
So now I have the church booked for the ceremony, and the hall booked for the reception. And we're in talks with my pastor about him doing the ceremony - if things are stressy with him, we'll have a JOP and involve both our fathers in the ceremony, too.

I am so excited!!

Someday No Goodbyes - Minobot Forever, December 23 2009

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

Absolutely. I wouldn't share them with the thought that they could never be passed on. I would be so honored if you would take our words and share them with your beloved.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:17 PM Go to message in response to: minobotbride

Yes we went fiance route but I am sure I have some tidbits. DMV might try and tell you that you can't have license until Social Security but you can actually get letter from dmv telling you that you aren't eligible because of immigration. Social security - look into it carefully. I came in on fiance visa then got married and they wouldn't give me ss because I was married and no longer on visa. So basically whatever visa you come in on - get S.S. first. It was a real pain in the butt for 3 months.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine