Mexico a good location?

Online Users: 1,257 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

jsk11 Posts : 1 Registered: 8/18/08
Mexico a good location?
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 3:07 PM

Thinking about going to Mexico for a destination wedding and honeymoon. Anyone have any thoughts on this location? Pros/Cons? What areas are nice? Is the whole swine flu thing overblown? Have you traveled there since the whole outbreak?

lrwahl Posts : 22 Registered: 7/28/09
Re: Mexico a good location?
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: jsk11

I have never been to Mexico and I'm not sure about the current swine flu status, but we were planning on honeymooning in Mexico next year. The area I was looking into is Riviera Maya. It's on the Yucatan peninsula which has the Caribbean sea at its coast instead of the Pacific, which is why I was so interested in this area. I have researched it quite a bit and from what I've read the beaches are great! You can even go tour the Mayan ruins in Tulum if that's something you're interested in. A great place to go to research areas you are interested in is www.tripadvisor.com. Also, some good friends of mine honeymooned in Cabo and they loved it there. They even got sucked into buying a timeshare. It just really comes down to what you are looking for on your honeymoon: seclusion, nightlife, relaxation, etc.

wedding website

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: jsk11

Dear JSK,

I have been to Mexico many times, and have no worries about the swine flu. You need to take ordinary health precautions no matter where you are. Just do that, and you'll be fine.

Prices in Mexico are a bit depressed because of the swine flu scare. You should get some great deals these days.

kateo Posts : 18 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: jsk11

Here's a great website to help you choose between the top resorts on the riviera Maya: http://www.rivieramaya-luxury.com - you can also get up to 40% off these prices by calling the number on the website...

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: jsk11

Congrats!

Yes Mexico is fabulous.. as you can see from many posts we have done hundreds of weddings in Mexico. All the swine flu situations etc.. can happen anywhere..

Honestly. I will tell you good and bad... Cancun area.. way too congested and not necessarily private enough for me for a wedding.
The Mayan Riviera is awsome.. but not all resorts have swimmable beaches..it all depends if you have children coming to the wedding or not.. Swimmable beaches are in the Maroma Area.. Secrets.. El Dorado etc.. awsome location and actually voted 3rd best beach in the world.

The next that is closer to Cancun but still in the Mayan Riviera that is brand new and opening next month is the Dreams Riviera Cancun. Honestly out of all the resort in Mexico.. Dreams does the best job with them.. LOVE THEM.
Please let me know how i can help and we have plenty of brides you can ask about us.

Tammy Levent ( google me)
Elite Travel
look at the Weddingbits blogs on brides.com.. I write an article a month.

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Edited by: elitegrp on Aug 9, 2009 12:03 PM

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: jsk11

We went to Playa de Carmen for our HM and LOVED it. We were at the Playacar Palace but there were TONS of places there. And we were right by the ferry to Cozumel and near the Tulum ruins.

JCBeaver76 Posts : 11 Registered: 2/27/09
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

My FW and I started looking at Mexico, but the marriage requirements were a deterrent. You need blood tests and chect x-rays (all which have to be done in Mexico) as well as you need all your documentation translated to Spanish and that can get costly for the translation and notary (Apostille).

A friend of mine did the wedding in Mexico, but they did a purely cerimonial one and not a legal one. They got married first in the US by a Justice of the Peace and then did a cerimonial one on the beach in Riveria Maya.

wedding website

millyfrend Posts : 5 Registered: 8/11/09
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 5:43 PM Go to message in response to: JCBeaver76

You can try this company for apostille and translation. Also, they can help you get a birth certificate if you lost it.

http://www.apostillepros.com
milly

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine