Wedding Party Jewelry--who pays?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
Wedding Party Jewelry--who pays?
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 1:41 AM

I want to get the jewelry for my wedding party as part of their gift but most of them are telling me they can buy their own. I feel bad since they already forked out money for their dresses. I did tell them any silver high heels will do...that way they pick what THEY like and hopefully can wear again. I feel bad for them to pay for jewelry they may not wear again. I wasnt getting necklaces due to the style of the dress (grecian style with only 1 shoulder) and just earrings for the girls who are pierced and a large sparkly type bracelet. I could probably find what I'm looking for for about 25 bux but it's 8 BMs. Is it proper etiquette to ask them to purchase the jewelry or should it be part of their gift.

(side note: their gift--so far-- is a large beach bag filled with bath and body stuff, snacks, waters, gum, and flip flops for the dancing portion so they don't get blisters)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Wedding Party Jewelry--who pays?
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

I think it depends. If you really want them in matching jewelry, you should pay for it. If you are ok with letting them wearing something different and more reflective of their taste, it is ok if they want to buy it themselves.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

You could shop around some of the department stores like Macys or Pennys. i ended up getting my girls necklaces that were buy one get one free and I spent WAY less than I planned. And I didnt "require" them to wear the necklaces but they matched the dresses nicely and I got a great deal. But the stores are all having craZy sales b/c of the economy these days.

If you want them all to wear the same jewelry I think it would be nice of you to buy it for them. Or maybe if you want them to all wear, say, silver, give them a guideline and have them pick something up they can each afford?

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

You can always do what I did and buy crystals for them to make their own jewelry. That way they can show their own style but it'll still be matching. My girls had a great time making theirs!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

MrsPinky...WOW!!! What an awesome idea for our bachelorette party weekend! We are going to Ocean City, MD for the weekend and staying at my MOH's mom's beach house and this would be an ideal fun project to work on! Since I only need them to wear bracelets (the dresses are cut in a way that a necklace would be hidden) we can totally make some cute bracelets out of stuff from, say, Michael's. Great idea! Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 3:12 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

MrsJDtobe - I actually went to a jewelry/bead shop to get the crystals. Not too cheap to get the ones I wanted but they all turned out really unique and matching. GL!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

IslaBonitaBride Posts : 82 Registered: 2/4/09
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

Hi MrsJDtobe,

I just wanted to suggest a couple of great websites I used for buying my beads:

giftsjoy.com and firemountaingems.com

I prefer them to Michael's. Good luck!

ToyToy09 Posts : 224 Registered: 6/3/09
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: IslaBonitaBride

YES MrsJDtobe! That's the kind of information I like to find on Brides.com! Thank you much :)
Created by Wedding Favors

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

On the topic of DIY accessories, I'm going to try my hand at both the rhinestone/tulle headband idea pictured here (because $350 for a piece of tulle and some fake diamonds is a bit steep, Ms. Vera Wang....), and also probably going to attempt at redoing an ivory clutch purse with peachy ostrich feathers like this picture too. Not relevant to what you're saying, but all this to say that I'm DIY-ing accessories too! :)

sorry, cell phone image...

My Planning Blog

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

Traditionally, the jewelry is the bride's gift to the BMs. I've never had to pay for jewelry to wear in a wedding. The one wedding I've been in where the bride did not give us jewelry as gifts, we wore whatever we wanted that we already owned.

If you want them to wear matching jewelry, I'd give it to them as a gift. Yes, you have 8 BMs...but that's something that you have to take into consideration when you decide on the size of your WP. I wouldn't ask them to buy their own random jewelry to wear to your wedding.

The other option is to let them wear whatever they want. Most will probably wear something they already own.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

TheCalyx Posts : 9 Registered: 9/3/09
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

I think it is very considerate of you to think of your bridesmaids' expenses. A lot of brides I hear about, just don't think about how much their wedding costs their friends. You also have some nice friends who don't mind paying for the jewelry.

My idea is if they pay for their own jewelry, then you should gift them with a gift certificate to their favorite stores. That way you are not giving them items they won't need, and you are being just as thoughtful with such a flexible gift.

The Calyx

How to Wear that Wedding Bling:  <a>http://pinkcalyx.wordpress.com/jewelry-how-to-wear-it/</a>

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine