Birth Control Shot

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

surferbabe825 Posts : 12 Registered: 1/13/09
Birth Control Shot
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 8:01 PM

Has anyone had the birth control shot? Pros and cons of it? Im thinking about getting it but really dont know much about it.

FutureSaunders Posts : 95 Registered: 9/18/08
Re: Birth Control Shot
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: surferbabe825

RUN GIRL RUN!!! LOL But no seriously I would not recommend it just because of the weight gain that comes along with depo, "The Shot". I started it when I first went to college b/c it was just easier than remembering a pill and less of a hassle being away from home (plus my FH was stationed in Korea at the time so I really had no need for it). But now I regret it, over time your weight will begin to increase and you will be like WTF happen to me. When I started I weighed approx 110 and after college about 4/5 years I was approx 145. I am now approx 175, but that is just grown woman weight, I am not as active as I use to be and my weight fluctuates tremendously. Last year I lost 20 pounds and now I have gained it back! Plus its harder to lose the weight and keep it off as you get older. But while on depo, I was still active as I was in high school so it was not like I just sat around and ate all day without exercising. Also every girl I know who took the shoot had this same probelm!! NO LIE!!! I mean yes you don't have periods anymore after about 3/4 months (maybe some spotting every now and then) but I wish to hell someone warned me before I decided to go with it.

Other than that I had no other problems with it. So if your weight is not a big concern for you then I would go for it!

Be Blessed!

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 7:54 AM Go to message in response to: surferbabe825

Please don't get the shot. I asked my doctor about it and she told me that it's not good to take. It makes you gain more weight than the pill does and she said it' s not healthy because it makes you miss your periods. You need to get a period once a month in order for your bones to stay healthy. I guess when you menstrate you hormones gives calcium to your bones and without that calcium you will get osterporosis earlier in life. Sorry for my mis-spelling. It's way too early in the morning for me lol.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 8:11 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - there are a number of birth control options that skip periods and I have not heard anything about having to have a period every month. Personally, I have been on the pill as I want to know I am not pregnant every month.

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 8:47 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Please speak to your OBGYN about the shot....I hate when people give medical advice when they are not doctors....they can tell you their experience but that doesnt mean the same thing is going to happen to you. I can tell you about my experience with it....

I LOVED the shot....love love loved it! I never gained weight with it....and i never got periods. I took it for 2 years when i was about 20 and the only reason I stopped was because I was going to a free clinic and the OBGYN told me that it isn't safe to use for more than 2 years at a time due to the risk of bone loss.

I started the shot the 2nd time when I was 24...I was in Iraq and there was only port o'johns so I didn't want to deal with a period and an unsanitary environment so I got on the shot again to stop my periods. Again I didn't gain ANY weight with it.

I was thinking about getting back on it due to the fact I might possibly become a police officer and I don't want to deal with it while I am at the Academy!

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: surferbabe825

I was on the shot for about 18 months. I gained a little bit of weight, but not enough to be upsetting. I was pretty neutral on the whole thing - I liked not having a period, but it decreased my libido. I eventually stopped because I was no longer closer to the doctor and it was a pain to get there for the shot at very specific times. Talk to your doctor. With any hormonal birth control (pill, shot, patch) there are going to people who love it and people who hate it. Only you and your doctor can be sure which is the best for you.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

I agree with the PP's who say talk to your doctor. I am on the shot, have been for years and love it. I didn't gain any weight, am anemic so not losing iron through a period every month is probably a good thing for me and I compensate for the potential bone loss by lifting weights five times a week. I've shown doctors my workout routine and they agree I've probably got some extremely dense bones. With that said its different for everyone.

AmandaJ0 Posts : 34 Registered: 3/1/09
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I was on the depo shot for an extended amount of time. My experiences may be differnet than others but I am willing to share. I irst went on the depo shot at 16 year old. I remained on it until 18 year old. Then I tried the pill, ring, and patch. Finally, at 26 I went back on the depo shot. I remained on it for 3 years. I liked the depo shot the first time and had no problems. No weight gain, no spotting, no loss of libido. The second time I was on the depo was a different story. I kept having heavy break through bleeding a couple of times a month and it wouldn't stop. I recommend talking to your doctor and deciding what is best for you. Also, how soon do you plan on having a baby? I went off it and it took two years before I was able to get pregnant.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm I'm not an expert and I really don't know much about the shot. I'm just stating what my gyno told me. But like everything else you can take to prevent pregnancy some methods may work for others and other methods will not. So like some people have mentioned it's just best to talk to your doctor. Personally I will never take the shot for the reasons I have mentioned and because I hate needles lol. I love being on the pill.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I have no experience with the shot, but a good friend of mine got off of it almost a year ago. She was on it for almost a year. While on the shot she still ahd a period but it was light, and I think there was one month where she skipped it altogether. But most months she still had one. She and her DH decided they wanted to try to have babies, so in August she decided not to go get her shot. She didn't have her period that month, or the month after, or the month after. She didn't start getting a period again until April. While on the shot she still had them, and then once she got off, THEN they stopped?! It would've been a bit amusing if she wasn't wanting a baby.

But the dr told her without her period it would be hard for her to tell when she was ovulating, if she was at all. Her family dr is the one who gave her the recommendation for the shot, not her gyno. Her gyno told her in January that if she'd known that she wanted kids in the next 2 years, she wouldn't have put her on the shot. Nice knowing that later. So. She has periods now but still no baby. Just make sure you do your research and talk to your doctor about what your future plans are.

cldeross Posts : 113 Registered: 6/24/09
Posted: Jul 30, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: surferbabe825

I have been on the shot three different times and have had no problems with it. First time for three years, second time for three months and the third time for a year.

After the first time I had the shot it took me about a year to get my periods back and about three months after that I was able to get pregnant with my son.

Only time I had a problem with it was on the second time, because I made me break out with real bad acne. Which cleared up completely after I got off of it..

I just quit the shot a few months ago because I like to give my body a break, but I plan on going back on it soon. Though we are discussing a vasectomy for him I still may get it again before the wedding so I don't have to worry about my period...

I gained no weight, loved not having periods, I had an increase of libido and it really helped with my mood swings. Talk to your Dr. about it and remember everyone is different...

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: cldeross

I took the shot for a little while because I wansn't in a steady relationship, and wasn't planning on being in one, and I have a horrible time remembering to take the pills. I personaly didn't gain weight, but I have friends who took it and gained a ton of weight. Also my sister took it for awhile, and it totaly messed with her mental state, she went crazy. I was fine with it. But after my sister got off of it and tried to get pregant it took her 2 years, and 3 miscarrages. It messed her utterus up so bad that there was no linning for the fetus to hold onto. So when I met DH and we started talking marrage and kids I got off of it as soon as I could because I didn't want to deal with that. But as several other posters have mentioned talk to your doctor, he/she will be able to guide you in the right direcetion.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Also my sister took it for awhile, and it totaly messed with her mental state, she went crazy. I was fine with it.

Nessa i know you mean you were fine with the shot, but it sounds ike you were fine with your sister going crazy! Sorry, but my day just doesn't feel complete until I tease someone (I only tease those I like :)

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: surferbabe825

Ball Gown Strapless Ruffles Organza Wedding Dress Style Giselle
Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine