Planning a January 1, 2011 Wedding, Good idea or Not?!

Online Users: 1,357 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 18

BellaMcMatz Posts : 1 Registered: 2/13/08
Planning a January 1, 2011 Wedding, Good idea or Not?!
Posted: May 11, 2009 9:37 PM

I want to have my wedding on January 1, 2011, it's a saturday that year but Im worried about attendence and prices?! What do you guys think?

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Re: Planning a January 1, 2011 Wedding, Good idea or Not?!
Posted: May 15, 2009 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

If you announce the date far enough in advance, it should be ok.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

2011bridecathie Posts : 1 Registered: 6/24/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 6:25 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I was planning of having my wedding day on January 1,2011. However, I changed my mind because most people that I asked said they would not attend a wedding reception on that date. So I decided to have it Jan. 15,2011 because monday is the legal holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. So most people are off and can make long weekend of it.

You need to do a pros and cons list...Christmas decorations will still be up at venues on 1/1/11 so that would save on directions. Also, that is an easy date to remember and I think a really cool date with all ones in it. I would recommend asking your family, especially your extended family, and see what they say. Personally I would go to a wedding on Jan. 1st.

Congrats on your engagement and good luck with your plans. I have my venue booked.

BrideJay Posts : 63 Registered: 3/3/09
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: 2011bridecathie

I just changed my date to 1-1-11 because the venue I chose isn't open during the summer date I originally wanted. The downside is that all of the preferred vendors for the venue said that they will be charging extra for "holiday prices"

Ask yourself if it's worth it... because it probably will be more expensive, and probably will hinder some attendance.

I'm having a small wedding (60 guests) so I'm not too worried that there will be problems. Sending my save-the-dates a year in advance. Annnd biting the bullet with the vendors.

(¯`ˇ´¯)
.`· .¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´

Dance like it hurts

Love like you need the money

Work when people are watching

missmeganelizab... Posts : 2 Registered: 3/23/09
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I don't think it is a bad idea. It may just cut down on the number of people that come. I am getting married the night before- we are doing a wedding/New Year's Eve Party. Plus with it being a Friday, your rehearsal dinner is cheaper because it is on a Thursday, and it still allows people to be with their family on Saturday. It may be an idea for you.

Flutterbye58 Posts : 3 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

We are having our wedding in Northern Ohio on 1/1/11--we asked all the important people what they thought about the date and they all thought it would be a fun idea. We are having our ceremony and reception at a resort so we will be there all weekend and they have a huge party for NYE--which is awesome because our families love a good party. But really, I would ask the people that matter most to you what they think then take that into consideration. Good Luck!

wedding planning guide

amapnp02 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/5/09
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I am also planning a wedding for that day and we thought it was perfect cause its easy to remember (for him) and it gives it kind of a new years party feel. everyone who is most important to us wouldn't miss it for the world and seeing as I wanted a smaller wedding than my in laws and own parents are pushing for, I honestly wouldn't mind if a couple people LOST their way to my wedding lol. But all will turn out well and there is enough notice in my opinion that those who don't show up wont show up because they didn't want to and nothing more

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: amapnp02

I have a bit of a different perspective...Personally, I would avoid planning a wedding for NYE or any other holiday. Basically for 3 reasons

1) many people travel around holidays, especially during the Christmas season.
2) venue costs generally rise astronomically around a holiday, especially a big holiday like NYE

3) every year your anniversary will coincide with that holiday and you'll either end up doing dual celebrations forever (so your anniversary won't be a special day all by itself) or to celebrate intimately as a couple, you'll have to forego celebrating that holiday with family and friends.

To pick our date, I avoided holidays and also tried as much as possible to distance the date from the birthdays of close family or friends. I didn't want to have to miss their important dates every year because I was away celebrating our anniversary.

Just my two cents.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Biacna Posts : 1 Registered: 2/7/10
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I think its a great idea because its my wedding day also. We were a lil concerned at first but our friends and family don't get stupid drunk. We will have a early evening wedding around 4 and then guest can go to the reception right after. My fiances fam luckily has a huge back yard..so we are having a cocktail reception with family and then going to dave and busters with friends later on that evening. Good luck on your wedding, dont worry about your guest, as long as you let them know far in advance if they love you and want to share YOUR day with you they will limit their drinking

countingdownthe... Posts : 1 Registered: 1/3/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I think it is a great idea. :) It is the date we have chosen so I guess I am not so objective.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I'm with the PP's when it comes to the economical aspect. You're going to end up footing a MUCH larger bill, if you do it on New Year's Day. As far as attendance goes, I can say with all honesty that if I were invited to a wedding on/around New Year's, I'd have to decline, no matter who it was. I travel a lot during the holidays, and there's no way I'd be able to swing it.

Also, if you haven't already booked your venue, chances are that it's already booked. The date "1/1/11" is going to be a very desired day that year, as is "11/11/11". People love having funny/unique wedding dates. It's been the same every year: "3/4/05", "7/7/07", etc. I'm willing to bet that most venues are already booked for that date. A lot of women go nuts planning YEARS ahead to get dates like that.

I personally love winter weddings. I've always had this dream of getting married in February (not Valentine's Day, of course). It's so much cheaper, since it's an "off season" month, and you still have the gorgeous snow (in most parts of the U.S., at least) that you would in December or January.

If you want a unique date, as I mentioned before, maybe try for something like this: "3/2/11" or "1/11/11". Those are both still pretty close to your desired date, and are likely to save you a lot of money/headaches.

Good luck!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

MrsJellybean227 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/29/09
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 8:11 AM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

My fiance had a dream about 1/1/11. So now we're planning our 1/1/11 wedding. I think the date is cool. And we always wanted a winter wedding. I really doubt there will be big difference (less then 20)in people that don't show that might would have if we'd chosen say June 17th (no idea if that's a Sat or not, just random day). I think it depends on your group of people. Are you in a crowd that normally celebrates heavily on NYE? If not then it shouldn't be an issue.

wedding ticker

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I like the idea of a New Year's wedding! There is a good chance prices will be more expensive for you, but if you are willing to pay it, go for it!

Personally, if I were invited to a New Year's wedding, I would go. People will come if they have no other plans, but you may get more no's than normal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

hljanes Posts : 57 Registered: 12/31/09
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

The other thing to keep in mind is the cost of accommodations for guests. There are always lots of parties NYE and if you have a bunch of out of town guests, the room rates could be significantly higher, particularly for any that come to town the day before your wedding and have to book rooms. Rooms could already be blocked off now - you're less than a year away.

RavenHairBeauty Posts : 1 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: BellaMcMatz

I am getting married on that date as well.

I let people know ahead of time, so about 95% said yes to attending so far.

The venues and vendors are not charging more than usual. I actually negotiated the prices down for every vendor (by having them outbid each other) because people don't usually have business in winter.

In fact, most venues gave me the winter wedding prices, and I am in New York City. Most of them did not try to use the unique date to their advantage.

Congrats and good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine