Invitations-- Pulling my hair out!!

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Anna16 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/24/09
Invitations-- Pulling my hair out!!
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 10:35 PM

Hey girls! So I'm pretty sure I've decided that since I have a fiance in the printing business I should do some DIY invites. I thought red was a pretty popular color for invites but I guess not since Brides has almost nothing in red (the only invitation I saw was red, black, and white and pretty but very loud). I have fallen in love with the Brides "Black Damask Invite Kit" and the chocolate pocket invite. Brides doesn't seem to carry one in red. Has anyone found one in red? Can anyone recommend something inexpensive that they've found somewhere else that looks like the Brides kit? Thanks!!

Edited by: Anna16 on Jul 24, 2009 10:35 PM

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Invitations-- Pulling my hair out!!
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: Anna16

Just curious--if your FH is in the printing business, why do you need a kit--why not just choose your own stock and ink and do it your way? If a kit makes your life easier, you could use black and white and add a red touch--a couple of jewels or some ribbon in red. Trust me--this is not an issue that's worth pulling your hair out. Most people look at an invite, say "Oh, that's nice," or "Ugh, that's tacky," or whatever, then stick it on the fridge or put it in a drawer. The only person who will obsess over your invite is you. I know that I've gone the fancy invite route (custom jewels, wax seals, etc.). At this point in my life, simple, tasteful, and not too expensive is just fine!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 8:09 PM Go to message in response to: Anna16

I have to agree with Myra that 1. if your FH is in the printing business then why wouldn't you just use his stuff? and 2. that invitations are not the area where you want to get stressed about (trust me, there will be plenty of other areas that will be more stressful!). Really, from what you have told us the only reason I could possibly see you having reason to stress about invitations is if your FH did do them and everyone would know it is his business so they would actually be looking closely at them. Because, honestly, ask just about anyone (who isn't currently a bride- when you are a bride EVERY detail is important, I know!) and they will tell you that they really don't pay attention to the invitations.

So, IMO, unless your FH ends up doing your invites (which would really be a lovely personalization) just find something simple, classic, and EASY and go with that. Don't worry so much about matching to your wedding day decor or anything like that because 99% of your guests won't even remember what your invites looked (unless your FH did it- and if he does then he should be well-versed in this kind of thing and should ease any worries you might have).

Good luck!

Anna16 Posts : 2 Registered: 7/24/09
Posted: Jul 26, 2009 4:34 AM Go to message in response to: Anna16

Thanks ladies--- both of you are right there are definitely more important things to stress about before the big day! I would love to have my fiance do all the printing work but his printing company actually does like blueprints and things like that so he would be able to do the printing but I would need to bring him the specific paper, etc. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I find something, but no longer pulling my hair out!! :-D

shakinros Posts : 30 Registered: 1/5/09
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 12:36 AM Go to message in response to: Anna16

I don't have any suggestions for where to find the kit, but just wanted to empathize. My fiance is a graphic designer, and he is designing our paper goods. But I understand how printing business is not the same as designing and you might need to give him what he needs to print. :) I also have learned to care very much about how invites look! It's all about what you care to notice.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine