Bridal party dance with one single bridesmaid and all others married

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

katielynnemary Posts : 1 Registered: 7/23/09
Bridal party dance with one single bridesmaid and all others married
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 1:50 PM

Hi,

I'm in a dilemma. Everyone in my bridal party (4 bridesmaids, 4 groomsmen) is married, with the exception of one of the bridesmaids (my fiance's sister...of course it had to be her). My family has been urging me to do the traditional "bridal party dance" at the reception, with the bridal party attendants dancing with their spouses (since they apparently don't want to dance with their wedding partner "since it looks tacky"). However, this leaves the single bridesmaid out, and she doesn't have a date to ease the situation. Should I skip the dance entirely to let her save face?

Thanks!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Bridal party dance with one single bridesmaid and all others married
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: katielynnemary

Dear Katie,

Some where in the crowd there has got to be some guy who can dance with her, preferably someone single and approximately her age.

If not, then get Grandpa or Uncle Max (with Grandma or Aunt Edna's advance approval) to dance with her. That would work only if she is totally cool. I know some people would die of embarrassment, others would really dig it.

If I were asked to "lend" my husband for such a dance, I would be thrilled! He would enjoy dancing with a lovely younger lady. But, then, I'm not the jealous type.

sillymonkey Posts : 48 Registered: 4/6/08
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: katielynnemary

I would skip it. I am for many reasons. First its more that people have to sit through. It lessens the time you get on the dance floor with all your guests. And it puts an unneeded stress on planning and picking a song. Guests typically want to see the daughter and father dance, and the bride and groom anyways. If you really have to have it why not have a fast dance and just have the bridal party kick it off with the rest of the guests joining in. This could be the official start of open dancing, where the party begins.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: katielynnemary

Honestly, I'd skip it. Where it's only one person who would be "left out," I feel like it would be horribly embaressing for her. I don't know how old she is, but I am picturing my FH's sister. She's too quiet and agreeable to SAY anything about it, but she'd be mortified to be the only one who didn't "have someone" to dance with.

And even if you found someone else to dance with her, whether another guest near her age or (no offense AOTB), worse, someone much older than her, I think it would make her feel horribly excluded. E.g., "everyone else has someone special to dance with, except me. The ONLY person they could find who was willing to dance with me was x, my UNCLE."

I don't think it's worth having a bridal party dance over it.

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe she wouldn't care. But I know I would. FH's sister would. My sister would. Why risk it?

If your parents insist, I think you can just say "Oh no, Mom, that's just too many dances. Maybe we can do an anniversary dance later in the evening..." (Where ALL the married couples dance together - but this way "everyone" not married is left out, not just FH's sister).

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine