NWR: What do you think of the book "Twilight"?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 29

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Re: NWR: What do you think of the book "Twilight"?
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Have you ever read Gossip Girl? MUCH worse of an example for young girls, if you wanna play that card. But the book was still great. And I hear the show is as well.
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

college roommate came home one night last year and was like "OMG you have to read this series!" after a friend of hers from work introduced her to it. 

The first book was amusing and kinda cute and the 2nd and 3rd were good too, but i hate how she treats Jacob after the 2nd book (I like him much better than Edward, probably cuz their friendship reminds me so much of me and FH and Jacob even has similar qualities that remind me of FH) and often times I want to just smack Bella across the head cuz she's sooo dumb and annoying, yet I'm intrigued by the story so I keep reading. we used to joke at one of my jobs that the Twilight saga is basically Anne Rice Jr.

I got about 300 pages left in the 4th and last book (if anyone spoilers it... grrr)... and as my roommate put it, I'm a little weirded out! If you've read it, you probably know what I mean!  I mean I can understand why she wrote it to tie up loose ends and the whole 'what happens later on' aspect, but at the same time, a lot of it doesn't seem really necessary... I mean she coulda just ended it with the 3rd book, unless there's something coming up that I haven't read yet... 

I didn't mind the first 3 - they were alright and fun to read, but this 4th one... i don't know quite what to make of it!

I'm already planning on seeing the movie, even though they already announced they changed certain things from the book just for time constraints and to move the story along, as well as some characters appearances for ethnicity.

my biggest complaint about the series though is how damn predictable everything else! Then again, FH and I get annoyed watching Heroes for the same reason, yet we still watch it, lol... 

my mom was asking me about this series the other day too, as my sis is 15 and really wants to read them, since it's the 'in' series atm. my mom's hesitant though, as my parents are pretty religious and she's not keen on the whole vampire thing not to mention she's tired of buying my sister books and her only reading like 5 pages because she hates reading. my sis gets a bit obsessive too, especially about sappy romantic stuff, so i told my mom, bottom line, i don't think it'd be a good idea for my sis to read em - she's already romance obsessed and having her read about Bella's dependence on Edward and her practically being obsessed with him would probably be a bad idea for my sis...

she'll probably see the movie though, as my mom wouldn't let her read the harry potter books but let her go see the movies. then again, until my sis saw the movies, she wanted to read the books too... now i don't think she'd really care...

and speaking of harry potter... i used to be all anti-harry potter til i saw the movies. after reading all the books, even from a religious point of view, they're no more magical that lord of the rings and if you can get past the whole fact that they're wizards and witches in a magical mystical world, it's the basic story of good vs evil, especially as the books progress. in a religious aspect, you can easily equate Harry to being like Jesus and savior for the people in the magical realm, whereas Voldermort is easily Satan. but most religious people can't get over the whole fact that they're wizards and use magic (hello, Gandolf in LOTR, anyone?!)

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 9:32 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Please know that it was never my intention to put down anyone who reads...and I really hope I did not offend anyone.  We all read mindless fluff, and it is good for us.  I am sure I have my mindless romance novels I read, that many others would say how can you read that? 

Missy F:  That was an interesting article.  While I don't believe that Edward was written to be abusive, I think it may have hit on the head the problem I have with this book.  There is a difference between love and obssesion, and I believe that this book promotes obessesion as an ideal type of love.

It goes along with why Mrs. J recommended her sister not read the book, no necessarily because of the whole religious thing, but do we need young women thinking that boyfriends to the exclusion of all else is a good thing?

As for the religious stand-point, I consider myself religious, and I was not overly concerned by the whole vampire thing, In the same way I do not view the Harry Potter series as horrible.  So they use magic, so they are vampires, big deal.  I believe I read an article saying that a Mormon woman wrote the Twilight books, and in the book Edward does talk about believing in a creator.

Me, my honey and our kitty make 3.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

yeah i forget if it's number 2 or 3 where edward talks a little bit about his religious beliefs and feeling forever damned no matter what he does since he's now a vampire. it was interesting.

i just find the whole religious debate about harry potter and now twilight to be a bit silly - i mean with my parents and everything and i went to a christian school for 13 years before going off to college. harry potter had the school torn as some were okay with it and perfectly fine, while others thought it was horrible and should be banned. but now, actually having read them, i see nothing wrong with them. honestly, i think the Harry Potter books are much better for teenage girls to be reading than the Twilight series.

I recently read an article online (ill have to find it) where the author even said that when it comes to teenage role models, Hermoine is a much much better heroine than Bella -she's smart and intelligent and when it comes to guys, she broke up with quidditch star Krum because he wasn't intelligent enough of a bloke for her liking (or something along those lines) - she wasn't dependant on a guy in her life.Bella's dependancy/obsession with Edward isn't healthy, and you'll see that in book 2 - she follows him around like a lost little puppy.

One thing though, I don't think the 4th book should fall under the same category as the other 3... iono, the content is... a lot more mature(?) so to speak than the other 3, in my opinion that is... 

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

MoDo3000 Posts : 1 Registered: 2/13/09
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Harry Potter For the Win.
I have read both of the Series Books. The Twilight Series is infuriating and very Sexual. I personally do not understand espically in the last book, breaking dawn how it even got past the editing stage, it lacked in plot and proper grammer. Dont get me wrong the books are like Crack (Twlight series) but like my mother always said, crack is wack.

Harry Potter is a much better series to read it has plots and twits that will keep you guessing and books are 100% better then movies, it is a fact.
~Molly

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: MoDo3000

I absolutely LOVE the Twilight series. I did not start reading them until I saw the first movie, and I've been hooked ever since. I read them for pure enjoyment to get out of the "real world" and I don't look into the series any more then that. Stephanie Meyer created a wonderful fictional world with a dreamy man who is ideal to almost every girl... it's a great love story and sometimes it is just fun to fantasize about being in the big bad vampire world. I never looked at Edward as being abusive.... maybe a little over protective, but definately not abusive. Bella is a good character as a teenager. She is very immature and is only thinking of how in love she is (which is what I did at 17, I always thought I was "in love" with someone) so I can relate to Bella when I was a teenager (I'm 24 now). I also know plenty of older women that read these series. They read them for the same reasons that I stated above.

I have also been a very devoted Harry Potter fan since I was 15 years old. I have read the series over and over again and saw the 6th movie at the midnight showing (haha). Harry Potter is by far a better series, but they are also completely different types of stories and I think that's what makes each one so enjoyable. Overall I choose Harry Potter over Twilight, but I do love Twilight. Infact, I'm reading Eclipse again right now.

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: His4life

God, I was such a Twilight pusher last summer. What was I thinking? Ok I saw the movie w/ my sister who also enjoyed the book. I walked out mid way from the AWFULNESS. The pure disgust I felt when I watched it is indescribable. I mean, we all know the books are cheesy and meant to be, but HEARING it spoken is so different. I guess its like when you do something shameful and you dont say it outloud, its like it didnt happen but as soon as it comes out it's just plain ridiculous. Like when Rachel tells Ross she is still in love with him, then takes it right back b/c it was so redonkulous when she said it to him. Anyway I did read the 2nd book and almost finished the 3rd one but b/c they are SO terrible I coudnt keep going.

I just think they are cheesy. I do see how a 17 yr old girl could get into them. Well maybe not even 17, probably 14. But I can see it. As a 28yr old woman, I just think they are sick. And so sad...like lighten up Bella, Christ, you're not dead!!!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I actually thought that the movie was great, that is what made me want to read the series. Just out of curiosity if you hated the movie so much and thought the books were so stupid why did you bother reading the 1st, 2nd and almost the 3rd book? I never read a book that I didn't want to read unless it was forced on me in English class.

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: His4life

I read the 2nd one before the movie came out b/c i DID enjoy the 1st book. I read through the 2nd one, not really liking it, but having hopes it would get better. The ending was very anti-clamactic and didn't do too much for me. I then started the 3rd one in hopes it would still get better but for me it didn't. I saw the movie b/c I did like the 1st book, like i said, and I was curious. I really didn't expect it to be so dumb. There were parts my sister and I were dying laughing at and everyone else in the audience was oohh-ing and awww-ing. It was weird and cult-like and creeped me out!

It was kinda like when you eat something you're just "eh" about and you figure, maybe the next time you try it you will like it, so you try it again and you're like "eh" still. Same principle here. I don't write things off immediately b/c i had a bad experience one time with it. (if that were the case, I'd never drink again after some of the hangovers I have had)

Plus I am not your typical girl. I dont like sappy stuff and i DEFINITELY do not like melodramatic girls!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Honestly, I have tried reading the 1st book more than once. I can't make it more than a few chapters in. No offense to anyone who enjoyed it, but I really think that the first one is one of the worst things I have ever attempted to read. I can't imagine the rest get much better. They are completely unoriginal, and not very well written. I find them to be very stereotypical and create a VERY unrealtistic picture of love. I can see how a younger teen might be drawn to them, but I just don't get how adults got drawn in to them.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Wow defantly lots of diffrent oppinions here. I finally broke down and read the first book about 2 months ago because of all the hype. I actually enjoyed the book. Its not the best written book, and by god its cheesey, but it was a nice get away from real life. Remembering when I was in highschool and how much in love I was with a guy I was willing to do anything for just like Bella. I do wish she had more goals than becoming part of Edwards family, but hey at 17, who wants to make goals? I started the third book last night, and so far its just another Twilight book. It keeps me entertained, and the story does keep me turning the pages, but not the best book ever written. I hated the movie. To me the book was a zillion times better, and they cut out my favorite parts of the book, or combined things weird, and I am not sure I want to see the second movie since I am worried it will leave a horrible impression of the book. I am with.....Whoever walked out (sorry forgot your name) I almost turned the movie off while I was watching it because it was so bad. But I will continue to read the books as it is a great release from a stressfull life.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 4:29 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I'm 27 and just started reading the Twilight books because I had to kill time on a plane for a business trip. I always teased my friend for reading them (and also Anne Rice books) because vampires are so cheesey. But honestly, I really enjoyed the first book (I'm almost done with #2 now). I think people may be reading too much into the series, like when religious organizations ban Harry Potter... it's just a book. I also enjoy HBO's True Blood, but don't necessarily consider myself a vampire fan. I think the books are worth the read. They remind me of when I was an over-hormonal, unrational 17 year old.

The movie was absolute CRAP compared to the book however. I think I had an idea of how Edward was going to be when I read the book, and they made him waaay fruitier in the movie. Although what's-his-name who plays him is STUNNING!

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

Lol Steff that is Robert Pattinson.... and he is cute :) He was also in the 4th Harry Potter movie. I remember thinking then that he was cute.

JessyNChris Posts : 120 Registered: 4/3/08
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: His4life

I'm reading the twilight series. I'm almost through with the third book. I started it because my FI was asking me if I want to see the movie. Then my cousin asked me if I had read the books yet. I told no because I had classes. She said I would need to read the book before seeing the movie. So I did, and three nights in a row I stayed up until 1am reading the book. I did see the movie, but I think the book is way better.
My FI is into Harry Potter.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting  Waiting to be Mrs. Styskal 

Jade1107 Posts : 205 Registered: 9/1/07
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: JessyNChris

I really enjoyed the Twilight series. It was an easy read and I found each book to be entertaining. The books were designed to be read by young girls so I think so long as we keep that in mind, it's all good.

I can't say the movie was so thrilling - it skipped some key parts and I felt like it jumped too fast. But again, the teenage girls just love it!

On another note, I read all the Harry Potter books and loved them. However, if you've read the books, you'll likely agree that the most recent movie isn't worth too much....just my opinion. lol

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine