Natural Diamonds vs Synthetic?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

DaySaysRawr Posts : 3 Registered: 6/6/09
Natural Diamonds vs Synthetic?
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 11:09 AM

Hello ladies!

While picking out rings, would any of you ever consider choosing a synthetic diamond? It seems that all the rings I've really liked are all $2,000+. It seems crazy to pay that much for something so small. I would much rather take that money and enjoy a Caribbean cruise! I've never been much for jewelry, but I figure if I'm going to be wearing it "til death do us part", it would be nice if I could have a gorgeous ring minus the guilt that he'll be paying for it until we are both senior citizens.

The ring is a sign of love and commitment. With that being said, I would of course love any ring that I received from him regardless. I just wanted to hear some other viewpoints from you ladies!

---------------------------------------------------------------- 

"You must always be intoxicated.
That sums it all up: it's the only question.
In order not to feel the horrible burden of Time
which breaks your back and bends you down to earth,
you must be unremittingly intoxicated.
But on what? Wine, poetry, virtue, as you please.
But never be sober."

--Charles Pierre Baudelaire

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Re: Natural Diamonds vs Synthetic?
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

We are getting a created diamond from Diamonique, from QVC.com. You really should check them out. This is mine that we're getting:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/chelsrae85/Wedding%20Inspiration/j9602005.jpg
They are just as brilliant, beautiful, quality diamonds and literally tens on the dollar compared to real diamonds (that ring is about $200!!!)

And, they're man-made so they don't involve the cruelty and lack of ethics in the diamond trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_diamonds
My Planning Blog

CandyK Posts : 33 Registered: 6/8/09
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 1:15 PM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

If other women are anything like me, they won't be able to tell. My boyfriend got me a ring at Valentine's day with fake diamonds but I couldn't tell. I went around telling everybody he bought me a ring with diamonds in it. I only found out the real deal when I found the ring online. It's still just as special.

I'm not one of those prying type of women either who ask a million questions about rings. I think it's nosy for people (strangers and sometimes even family) to ask about carot size or how much it cost. I've never understood why people think that's acceptable. We wouldn't ask somebody their salary or their weight why would we ask about the diamond on their hand. Okay, that's my rant.

Chels's diamonique ring is gorgeous. I would be none the wiser. I think it's just a symbol of your love. Some people get engaged without rings so I don't think it matters whether it's real or synthetic. If the nosy people ask about it just play dumb like your fiance` didn't tell you.

CandyK

BlackstoneSkinner Posts : 38 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 2:10 AM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

Hi! I say go with whatever you want! My fiance and I talked about synthetic stones but he decided against them. The truth is, only the two of you will ever know (unless of course you decide to tell others). Actually, you could even decide that it be his decision so that you will never know the difference. Unless someone is just really trying to inspect that ring on your hand, the glance most people will get will never tell. Go with what makes you happy and the most comfortable. Another option is to get the synthetic now, and later on an anniversary (when you don't have a wedding and honeymoon to worry about) upgrade to a natural diamond! Remember, you don't have to have it all right now! =)

Good luck!

Jennifer

6thSenseForStar... Posts : 6 Registered: 6/12/09
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 12:15 AM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

First of all, CZ and moissanite are not synthetic diamonds, they are alternatives to diamonds. Not that they aren't good, just, they are different things. Like moissanite has a different color to it, and CZ lacks sparkle. There are other alternatives too I'm sure, all with their pros and cons. That said, there are a few companies that synthetically create diamonds by duplicating the carbon bonds so you get internal patterns and strength that are diamond-like. We bought my 1 ct. center stone from MiaDonna.com. They are an environmentally and socially responsible company and I just love the quality of their products. My jeweler could sort of tell the difference, but no one else can. I love my ring, and I love the fact that I got a flawless, colorless and BIG rock for like, $400.

And no, please don't look my number of posts and think I'm a vendor. I'm not a vendor or even associated with MiaDonna. I've actually been on this board forever, I was being stalked so I changed my user name.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: 6thSenseForStar...

No one said the alternatives they mentioned were synthetics. And I dunno - looks, reads and smells like a vendor... Maybe not - K.

I actually opted to NOT do a diamond - OMG the horror! LOL

Actually, I've seen some lovely rings but I don't like diamonds for me (at least as the focal point). I have a blue sapphire with small diamonds on either side. We found a jewelry store that does custom work and I found a wedding band I loved and I was able to order it in white gold with alternating diamonds and blue sapphires.

My ring suits me. I say figure out what suits you - if you love the look of a lot of diamond but can't afford it I say go for an alternative.

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

I don't think many people can tell the difference. I told my FH that I didn't care either way but he said I deserved the best so he went with diamonds. I know someone was talking about blood diamonds earlier, and just to let you know, they are illegal in the U.S. so I wouldn't worry about that unless you live in or plan to buy it in another country.

Moxiebaby Posts : 24 Registered: 6/18/09
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

My ring is a 3-stone aquamarine + diamond ring. I love aquamarine even though it's not even my birthstone. We went with this option also because a colorless, flawless diamond was not in the budget, but most aquamarines are naturally flawless. So I got a beautiful stone and we did not break the bank.

Edited by: Moxiebaby on Jun 18, 2009 6:38 PM

Emaylie Posts : 13 Registered: 6/24/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: Moxiebaby

My husband gave me a customize 3k diamond ring from ices palace in hongkong a long with a fancy diamond key chain that he bought it in <A href="http://ericasweddingfavors.com/">ericasweddingfavors</A>
heres the pic of my diamon ring and the fancy diamond key chain. My guy is so sweet. i love him and he surprise me alot. wether its fancy or real as long as its from your heart i think.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/f0rkboi/diamond-ring.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/f0rkboi/8769_6.jpg
I love my guy!
Edited by: Emaylie on Jun 24, 2009 11:15 PM

Edited by: Emaylie on Jun 25, 2009 11:41 PM

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Jun 25, 2009 8:29 PM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

You sound like you're being reasonable about what the ring represents, and I agree that the standard engagement ring is expensive. Why does it have to be from the "engagement rings" showcase at the jewelers? If you broaden your search beyond diamonds, just turn around and browse the rest of the store or website's collection, you'll find tons of gorgeous options that are unique and more affordable.

mooRS Posts : 26 Registered: 6/15/09
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: DaySaysRawr

Personally, I love colored stones like this one: http://di1.shopping.com/images/di/46/4a/74/7a5555743571522d6a63626870634b4c573677-80x80-0-0.jpg

Buying a stone like aquamarine or amethyst gives it your own special touch, and can up the size without forcing your BF to take out a mortgage on the thing.

Britani17 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

I don't think diamonique is a synthetic. I believe it's a simulant. Simulants are to look similar to diamonds but have no chemical aspects of diamonds. Synthetics have the same chemical composition and structure of a diamond but is made by man. I don't think there is anything wrong with substituting for a real diamond if you were to replace it in the future. Diamonds are to symbolize purity and rarity of your love so i personally prefer the real thing.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine