birth control and weight

Online Users: 1,267 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

allisonfoster2B Posts : 65 Registered: 5/9/09
birth control and weight
Posted: Jul 18, 2009 10:00 PM

So now that DH is deployed im going to go off the pill. I have been on it for two years now. When i got on the pill u gained about 20lbs. So now that im not taking it i am hoping that i can loose weight faster. Ive been working out and all the good stuff but have not been seeing much results. Has anybody noticed the differance when on the pill, or is my body just crazy?

AllisonWink

GollumsGirl Posts : 57 Registered: 7/7/09
Re: birth control and weight
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 2:05 AM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I definitely gained weight when I got on the pill. I went off it about 5 months ago and saw no results as to losing weight more easily. I am now on it again because I was tired of worrying about when I can and cannot be with my bf. Please keep in mind though that I am highly UNdisciplined and so I wasn't working terribly hard to lose the weight.
wedding tickers

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I've been on the pill for several years now and at first I did notice that I gained some weight. It snuck up on me and before you know it I'm about 15 lbs heavier! However, around last December I decided I was going to get in shape for my wedding. I started working out about 3-5 days a week and did not eat as much junk and skipped seconds. I have noticed that I have lost quite a bit of that weight now even though I'm on the pill. It just depends for some people. You might have to work a little harder though since you are taking it, so hopefully you'll be able to get rid of it regardless.

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

You look like you're pretty small to start off. I'm the same way and I have to say it is very hard to see the changes if you're just looking at yourself. The ONLY way I can tell i'm losing weight is by the way my pants fit or by taking pics. Taking pics and putting them side by side helps a great deal. I can actually tell that i'm toning my body.
I'm on the nuva ring and I really couldn't tell you if it caused me to gain weight or not. I have so much damn stress my weight yoyos like crazy anyways.

I hate being off the pill though. I cramp like crazy without it and you never actually know what day your period will hit. Really sucks.

I want to get back on Yaz though. I still seem to get too emotional when on Nuva Ring. Yaz I never felt depressed during "that time"

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 6:46 AM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I am not big. However I am curvy. I have learned over time how to hide it well and look smaller than I am. I have a high waist. It seems to be right below my ribs. And when I got measured for my Physical Fitness Test a month ago my waist came in at 30.5 inches. I am afraid to measure my hips. My pants are size 11.When I put my fingers on my hip bones, my stomach doesn't come out too much farther. Am I just paranoid? Sorry I am in PJ's I just got some teeth pulled, and am staying home for a few days.
CIMG6013
CIMG6016

AllisonWink

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I just wanted to chime in and let you know something I've been reading. Not to be a total naysayer, but there are a lot of articles out recently that say that itt's less likely that you actually gained weight from birth control, but rather your lifestyle changes when you went on it. Obviously everyone is different, but here is what happens for MOST women:

You begin birth control when:

1. You've got a serious boyfriend, and are therefore eating with a boy and therefore probably eating MORE than what you should.
2. You begin filling out in your breasts and hips, which is natural weight gain, at ages 14-20ish.
3. You're in college, where you're a freak of nature if you don't gain weight. (jk jk I know some girls don't but really wow. I'm jealous of YOUR metabolism!)
4. BC makes your hormones different, which makes you crave things. It's not bc which makes you actually eat those things, though.

Think about it: I know when I started bc I was going on dates with my new bf two or three times a week, and its not as if we went out for salads and water!

My point is this: yes, bc makes you retain water, and of course some women will gain weight from bc.

However for most of us, it's actually just the lifestyle changes around that time that spark the weight gain.

I just wanted to lay that out there, and like I said, not to be a total naysayer but just wanted to let you know what I've read.
My Planning Blog

uno Posts : 619 Registered: 1/4/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

I agree with ChelsRae about it being more of a lifestyle change than a birth control pill weight gain.

I started on pills when I went to college and gained about 15 lbs-20 lbs. This is probably really due to having a meal plan at school, eating buffets and feeling like I had to get my money out of food by eating everything I bought. After I moved out of the college atmosphere and realized that I had gained quite a bit of weight (went from 105 lbs to 130 lbs), I changed my eating habits (all while being on the same pill) and lost a lot of that weight. I've changed pills several times over the last 2 years but nothing has made me gain/lose weight.

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I believe that when the birth control completely leaves your body then it might be easier to loose weight. There are always many factors to consider though besides the hormones not being in your body anymore. What is your normal actitivy like? What do you eat on a regular basis? All of these will play a role in how easily you loose the weight.

I was on the depo provera shot for 6 months. About 1 month after the shot I immediately gained 10 lbs. I have been using the nuvra ring for close to a year now, and as far as I know the depo stays in your system for a very long time.

This is what a lady told me at the planned parenthood. I would talk to your doctor about it.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I used to be a tiny 105 lbs when I wasn't on the pill. Now I am 120!!! :( I have been on the pill for 7 years. I am sure 2 factors are involved in my gaining weight: 1)the pill and 2)age causing my metabolism to slow down. It sucks! But I rather gain weight than have a baby at the moment.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I hate birth control because of gaining weight, but I love it for not having any kids!!!
I only work out 2-3 days a week (or try to atleast) and it gives me self confidence regardless if i lose weight or not, as long as i don't gain more i'm happy.

Besides, if you're with someone who wants to marry you and he loves you for you, i think you're fine, unless you're not happy with the way you look.

When is my wedding

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

http://brettandkayla.ourweddingday.com

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

I started the pill about a month or two before I joined the military. (two years ago) I only got on it because I get horrible cramps and I am so heavy. When i first got on the pill i knew why i gained weight. I hated working out, but now i work out like crazy. A friend and i have been running together. I have mandatory PT (physical training) 4 times a week. Even with working out like I do I dont see much result in anything. I have another friend who is on the depo shot and her husband just deployed so she is going off the shot. She says she has gained weight as well.

I see how it is not all the pills fault for me gaining weight. It just seems harder to loose the weight. I've always had this kind of body. Well...the hips just keep getting bigger and bigger.

When hubby get's home from deployment we are going to see what happens. He is fine that I am off it. And he knows that I want kids. So maybe it will work out for the best. 177 days till he comes home!

AllisonWink

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I agree, I don't think the Pill causes magic weight gain. I was on it for many years (8 in total) until March of this year, and for the first 5 years I was a serious dancer and athlete, engaging in about 20hrs of activity per week. For those years, I gained about 10lbs total. In the last 3 years, my activity level has plummeted and lo and behold I've tacked on more weight. And now that I'm in my late 20s and I'm sadly very lazy I've gained the same amount of weight in the last year as I did in total between age 20-26.

I wish I could blame it on the Pill, but age, activity level, and metabolism are the chief culprits here.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine