When to buy Bridesmaids dresses?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
When to buy Bridesmaids dresses?
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 12:13 PM

I'm getting married on October 10, 2010 and I estimated that around March 2010 my bridesmaids should buy their dreses. Is that too early or too late? I told one of my bridesmaids that and she said that March 2010 is too early and that she plans on getting her dress later. I told another bridesmaid and she said that a friend of hers had her bridesmaids pick their dress a year in advance! So when is a good time to get the bridesmaids dresses? Thanks!

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: When to buy Bridesmaids dresses?
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

dear CA,

The last possible date would be the dress shop's deadline. Anything earlier than that is up to you. If you do it early, then you have everything ready to do with out last-minute problems. If you wait a bit, you won't "lock" in your dress choice, bridesmaid choice, etc.

Another factor to consider might be the possibility of someone getting pregnant between now and then, or someone gaining or losing a lot of weight. We all know Bridezillas who say "Don't you dare get pregnant between now and MYYY DAAAAYYYY!".

I guess it depends on how firm you are in your decisions about the dress and the people, and the liklihood of changing your mind.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks Aunt. I think my friend is concerned about gaining weight. But to me is sounds like she wants to wait until August or Sept of 2010 to get her dress and I don't know how to tell her that we need to do this earlier.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Mer21 Posts : 32 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Hi! My wedding is June 2010 and I already picked my BM dresses. Actually, my girls are supposed to be getting their measurements into the store this week. I think it's really up to you. I obviously did it earlier than was necessary, but I loved the dress and wanted to make sure that it didn't get discontinued or anything. If one of your BM is considering getting pregnant, I'm not sure what I would do. I just graduated from college, and only one of my BM is even in a relationship, so I'm not worried about anyone being pregnant.
Most of them were more concerned about loosing weight before the wedding. But it's easier to take in a dress than to let it out, so they are just going to wait until closer to the day to have them altered. Dont know if that helps at all. Good luck!

jpersing Posts : 21 Registered: 7/12/09
Posted: Jul 18, 2009 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: Mer21

I picked out dresses for bridesmaids a year before my wedding because they were on sale and I considered these as gifts to them. But I agree with auntie though that the material has to have a bit of allowance in measurements in case the bridesmaids gain weight. The fabric of my bridesmaids dresses is nylon viscose so it was abit stretchy.

Check out the pictures of my bridesmaids dresses
http://www.ehow.com/how_4863199_become-own-wedding-planner.html
Love conquers all fears.

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: jpersing

I would ask your bridal shop when you have to order the dresses by. Keep in mind that alterations might take longer because september is such a HUGE month for weddings, and you (we) are only a few weeks away from that.

But, I would ask the shop and then go from there. Its not up to your BM when you have them order their dresses. Maybe she is worried about not having the money to pay for it? Or something. But, once you find out the absolute last day to order, go back about a month. That gives stragglers time to order before the deadline, and then just tell the Bridesmaids that they have to order it by then otherwise it wont get there in time. That way they think the deadline is based on the shop, not on you wanting them to have it early

FutureSaunders Posts : 95 Registered: 9/18/08
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

My wedding is in April 2010. I have already picked out the dresses and my girls have been measured and have paid for the dresses. We got this all accomplished in June. It is going to take 4 months for the dresses to come in (approx October) and then some alterations may need to be done. If I were you, after you have picked out the dress, ask the bridal shop how long it will take to get the dresses and how long the dress will be available for purchase. I didn't ask these questions, but I am glad we put in the orders as early as we did. Give your bridesmaids the information and let them know it is important to get the dresses at a certain time and to be prepared for any mishaps. You need to be the dictator of your wedding, do not let someone tell you when they are gonna get their dress. And I dont mean to sound harsh, but I am the type of person that likes to be organized and prepared. I like to prepare myself for the impossible, that way if anything does go wrong you dont go crazy trying to resolve the issue within weeks of your wedding. As a bride remember to keep your girls in order and informed of your expectations/what you need them to do. I would do this for the men too, lol.Good Luck!

Be Blessed!

Bachelorette2009 Posts : 4 Registered: 7/19/09
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

The bridal shop owner that I delt with suggests not getting the BMs dresses until a few months before the wedding. She has been through the repercussions of ordering them earlier than 4-5 months before: the bride changes her mind over and over, people's bodies change, styles change, trends change, the bridal party changes, etc. Check on the shipping dates and if the maker ships regularly and you have a seamstress lined up, I wouldn't order anything more than 4 months in advance. When I first got engaged I picked out some BMs dresses and when it came time to order them 8-9 months later, I didn't like any of the ones I picked out.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine