Short, plus size, conservative bride needs style advice!

Online Users: 1,284 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

Revenwyn Posts : 48 Registered: 4/26/07
Short, plus size, conservative bride needs style advice!
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 6:03 AM

Ok, so I am short (5'3") with an average length torso and very short
legs and arms. I am genuinely large boned but even for that I am
overweight. Here's a picture that shows my body flaws pretty
accurately:

DSC01798.jpg picture by Revenwyn

As you can see, I'm moderately large busted (DDs here) but my belly
shows up farther than my breasts. Although I am very active (90 minutes
of cardio 4 days a week, been doing this for 10 years) and I have grown
up with minimal meat and fat (meat only twice a month) I am still
rather overweight. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, leading to the
weight gain.

Here's the trick: My waist can fluctuate four to six inches within any
given month, more likely six inches if I have skipped my period. I
literally have everything from a 14 to a 22 in my closet, and it all
fits within some time of my cycle. Third day of my period and I am back
into my smallest clothes again. Thus, I cannot wear a wedding dress
style that relies on a fixed size waist, as it is nearly guaranteed it
will not fit me the day of.

Here's a jacket I think works on my figure very well:

new_years_eve_2008_standing.jpg picture by Revenwyn

As you can tell my hips and legs are rather slender compared to the rest of me.

Okay so I'm planning on making my wedding dress, as I do sew rather
well and I have so many fit issues to work with that would double the
cost of my wedding dress. Here's a hilarious try on that made me look
rather dumpy IMO, but the saleslady tried to say would work on me: I mean I like it but I'm not sure it did a thing for my body type at all. I think it just made me look more like a hobbit than I already do. And, alterations on it would double its cost.

jennweddingdress.jpg picture by Revenwyn jennweddingdressback.jpg picture by Revenwyn

But here's the clincher: This is a pattern I already have, but I wonder if you gals think it would look halfway decent on my body type. My fiance and I are more Medieval and Renaissance aficiandos than anything else, we're not into what's hot in fashion. I'm not willing to wear spaghetti straps or strapless, or anything that shows cleavage.

image of M4378

Sorry for so many pictures. Let me know what you think!

Hoping and praying our day will come soon.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Short, plus size, conservative bride needs style advice!
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

The poofy wedding dress was a scream--the butt bow really topped it off. When was that--1986? So much for listening to the saleslady!

Actually, this is a good year for you to be shopping for a wedding dress (or pattern), since the empire waist is such a popular style and perfect for you. Look for something with a V-neck to elongate you, an empire waist, and fullness (not poofiness, just a relaxed look) beneath. The pattern you chose is on the right track, but still gives no concealment in the waist/tummy area, which is your big concern, so keep looking. You can search wedding dress finders on the internet (here or the Knot, for example) by the specific waistline style that you want. Find something you love, and then purchase or reproduce it, using a professional seamstress if you're not up to creating your own pattern.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 11:41 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

I'm really not sure what style would look best, but I just wanted to say when your trying on dresses, unless you completly hate the style, try on as many styles as possible. I was trying on dresses and for a laugh I tried on a trumpet style with a diagonal (sp?) waist for laughs, now it's the style I'm looking for!!! I'm also short (5'0) and I thought it would totally cut me off and make me look even shorter, and it makes me look taller (not that that's really possible, LOL).

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Unfortunately, most empire styles are a) too small in the bustline, and b) make me look pregnant by default. I tend to stay away from them, as the fabric does cling to my belly and emphasizes it.

The dress from the pattern has princess seams in it. I've worn princess seams before and gotten away with it fairly well, but it is a bit structured. I guess I can always make the dress a bit in the waist and take it in if I need to. It wouldn't be that hard to do if I'm making my own.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

Ok so I just typed up a whole long thing and it went away. So as I was saying, I agree about the empire waist not being great for big chested bigger girls. I know I am one, and I love the look of empire waisted things but they make me look pregnant. Also are you sure you want to make your own dress? Wedding planning is stressful to begin with, even if its a small wedding and other people are taking care of a lot of things, it is still stressful and I couldn't imagine having to make my own dress. To many things could go wrong. Plus are you used to working with the fabrics you need for a wedding dress, and how much will the fabric cost versus buying a cheap wedding dress? Davids has a few I think you would like, unless you are compleatly sold on the rennasance style. Also, maybe look for something with a lace up or corrset back since your weight fluctates so much.

This one I tried on and it looked amazing on, but it wasn't the style I was looking for. and there are several diffrent sleeve options you can have added to it.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995489¤tIdx=9&subCategory=-49999486%7c-49998998%7c-49995489&catentryId=6096811&sort=

This one is ver conservative and I am sure it will look great on your figure. It even has the corset back.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995489¤tIdx=24&subCategory=-49999486%7c-49998998%7c-49995489&catentryId=6097100&sort=

This one has the off of the shoulders like the one you tried on. I think the top of that dress looked really good on you.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995489¤tIdx=54&subCategory=-49999486%7c-49998998%7c-49995489&catentryId=6110581&sort=

I also found another site with some dresses to give you an idea of what is out there that might suit your style better. It is http://www.wedding-dresses-gowns-shop.com/sleeves-wedding-dresses.html
Here are a few that jumped out at me for you.

I hope some of these helped you!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

Yes, obviously your dress needs to fit at the bustline, The V or surplice neckline, rather than a straight across piece of fabric (what we call the "Uniboob" look) will help--and of course, you need to order the correct size. As for the pregnant look, that's a matter of selecting the right construction below (the reason I said you don't want poufyness, just soft fabric that falls away from the body--avoid gathers below the bustline seam). I once saw a picture of Elizabeth Taylor, a big-busted gal, in an empire waist, Renaissance-style gown that looked so gorgeous on her (around the time that she did Taming of the Shrew with Richard Burton). I'll try to find the picture. By the way, I assume that you can tame that waistline/tummy area somewhat with Spanx.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jul 20, 2009 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

You're probably going to freak, but our budget for our entire wedding is $1,500. I have a relative that is a photographer who will do it for us free, and a relative that is a florist, and a relative that is a preacher, lol. Our church is doing a potluck reception for us, and one of the ladies makes wonderful cakes. We have had four and a half years to plan (because we were going to marry in 2005 then he nearly died), and everything but the clothing, attendants (if any), dress and the date is in place. It will probably be the simplest wedding you've ever heard of. It's not a style affair. In my mind, a dress that costs more than $500 is out of the question.

I have sewn on satin and lace before, and incorporated boning into my 1860s style ball gown that I have made. So I'm pretty sure that I want to make my own dress.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

Defantly not going to freak on your budget, that is about what my DH and I put into our wedding which is just about everything you have to minus my dress. That is amazing that so many people are able and willing to help you. So I am not very familur with sewing but I found a few patterns that may work with a little bit of alterations to them.

This one is nice and would be great if you could add a little more rouching in the waist, and maybe make it a corrset back. And would be nice if you added the nice flowy sleeves.
image of V2906

This one is also very nice, and i know this style cinches the waist nicely.
image of V2842

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

Hey, I see no problem, my dress was under $100! And for a plus-size one, that's HARD to find! I envy your sewing abilities as I'm fighting with my machine trying to make a baby quilt. Butterick patterns are 99 cents this week at Joann's!
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5154.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=1 Unfortunately this is the only one in plus size--although I do like the style of the dress! (A-line skirts work better for us bigger women!) I love the flowing arms on most renisance (I know I spelled it wrong--can't spell to save my life!) period dresses. I had flowing arms on my dress, it was actually from www.roamans.com!

Edited to add: I LOVE the pattern you have!!! That's the dress I wanted! (Although nobody here would make it for me!)

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jul 20, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

Yep, I have two of this exact same pattern. I'm going to use one to make a mock up of the dress before I make the real one to make sure I like the style on me.

My fiance's wearing a black tunic and his clan tartan from the early period, so it'll work I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duzzy Posts : 5 Registered: 8/6/09
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

I completely get your less than $500 for a dress budget, as well as the empire gowns making you look pregnant. I'm 5'2". I wear a large/x-large tops. I went with an a-line Maggie Sottero (Amaya) with a corset back and asymetrical front that does WONDERS for the figure. I got the dress on eBay, brand new with tags for $300.

Duzzy

jess12366 Posts : 9 Registered: 7/30/09
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

The V neckline or a dress like the picture.Do you consider about custom-made dress?Some custom-made Chinese dress on-line only take $130-350.

EWF Posts : 158 Registered: 7/16/09
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

hi, when i first saw the picture of you, my immediate thought was and empire shape with a cap sleeve. i think a cap sleeve would be more flattering to you than the long batwing sleeve which might actually make you look a little shorter and wider due to the extra fabric. and a cap sleeve fits with a renaissance-type theme. of course, then i read on and saw that you don't like empire, so i would say to make something where the bodice has some diagonal ruching, sort of along this type of line...

i would definately avoid a dress where the bodice comes to a v around your belly, that will only accentuate the area. the diagonal lines will elongate you and make you look slimmer.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 4:46 AM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45681.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine