My Makeup Trial (pics)

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 17

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
My Makeup Trial (pics)
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 6:07 PM

I plan to DIY makeup for my wedding and today I was bored so I thought I'd do a test run. What do you ladies think? Feel free to tell me what to change. Constructive criticism is appreciated!!

**Pic deleted for Trial # 2**

Edited by: WinterWonderlandBride on Jul 23, 2009 2:16 PM

cldeross Posts : 113 Registered: 6/24/09
Re: My Makeup Trial (pics)
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

You are a very pretty girl! I really like your make-up in this picture, but in my opinion, I think it is more of an everyday look. I really like glamour, so I would say either go with a stronger lip or a stronger eye. I think if I was you I would go with a stronger eye because from what I can see they are beautiful. Just pop them a little more. Maybe a darker liner or shadow. But either way it is what ever you feel comfortable with.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Very cute!

I like the makeup, but like the PP said it looks more "everyday". Do you normally wear makeup? If not, then this is probably not your "everyday" look. Maybe a little more blush/bronzer to make it a bit more of a glamouros approach, or do the eyes a little darker on the lids. I wouldn't do anything too much more though because you don't want it to look caked on (I hate when you go to weddings and the bride looks nothing like she normally does!). It does look very pretty though!

I wish I could DIY with mine, I guess I could, but you know those days when you feel like you can't get your make up right, like your eyeshadow is too dark or light, mascara seems goopy, or you barely use any bronzer but it looks like just a streak....that would be what would happen to me probably! LOL

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Thank you for your opinions! I do wear full make up everyday, except lipstick. In this pic I have false eyelashes on and everything though. But it still just looks like normal everyday me. I'm not sure what color eyeshadow to go with? This is a dark gray that I have on in the pic. Any ideas?

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I think it looks very good, but if that looks a lot like your everyday make up I would switch it up a bit. Since your coloras are blue and silver maybe add in some blue witht he dark grey, and some silver to help highlight some more?

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Winter, I owe you a helpful post in return for yours. I think I agree that your eye makeup just isn't jumping out for me.

I don't like the first picture in general, but maybe the issue isn't the color but the shaping of the eye make-up?
Milvali Salon & Cosmetics photoBridal Makeup Tips

My thought is maybe a touch more eyeliner, particularly under your eyes and some kind of shape with shadow. (All this is assuming you want to play up your eye more.)

Are you wearing your hair up or down for the wedding? If it's up, I'd toss it back in a ponytail next time, just so it's not framing your face. (If it is, then ignore)

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 8:07 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Oh I love the pics!! So can someone explain to me how to do this with my eyes?

cldeross Posts : 113 Registered: 6/24/09
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Cover your whole eye with a light color, then put a dark brown in the crease and a white along the brow. Back in my dancer days we had a few tips; put a little white right at the tip of the eye were the tear duct is. It will real pop an eye. When you are doing the dark shadow, I put it at the end of the eye and then blend it toward the tear duct. Make since? I hope...

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

a good thing to do is go to Sephora and ask them to show you how to do it. I did a make up lesson at Sephora and have been buying the make up in bits since then....but they showed me how to do the smokey eye. Now, my big thing is determining what accent color to put on there -- I have a lovely seagreen.... but I also LOVE purple on my eyes. I have green that change to blue depending on what I am wearing (they don't change, but the different colors pick up different things and make them look blue. It's weird)

Do you have a color that always makes your eyes pop? Get it in a new shade. If you usually do lilac, for example, go for violet.

Your make up looks beautiful though! And you're right... doing a make up trial MYSELF is a good plan. I probably need to do that (though I might beg the make up artist who is associated with our play to give me some pointers... hmmmm).

Misty

sillymonkey Posts : 48 Registered: 4/6/08
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

When you put the dark color on try wetting your brush first and wiping any access off then put it in the dark color and use that in the crease. This will make the color darker and more vibrant. I used to work as a make up artist for Lancome and I did this all the time. The other thing I love as liner is from MAC. It comes in a pot and you get an angled liner brush (Target or any counter), dip it in there and so your liner that way. It's easier to apply and you can either get really close to the lash line and/or smudge it to soften it better. I use this daily. You can also do this with your eyeshadows but for your wedding I wouldn't recommend it since it may not last through tears but the MAC liner will stand up to it! Any counter or sephora will show you how to apply, typically they want you to buy one thing though. If you need any other specific let me know. And the poster about the white or light color at the inside corner of your eyes is correct. You can also use a gold color depending on your skin tone to line under your bottom lashed from inside corner to mid eye for a similiar effect.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: sillymonkey

Let's see if I can remember what everyone said...so many good suggestions!

I guess I went lighter than normal because I was always a pageant kid and didn't want to look "pageanty." But now that I'm looking at my pageant pics, its not too bad. I think that the next day I'm off I'll do another redo but go a little more in that direction.

About the white in the corner of your eye, I do that almost everyday. I agree, it is a GREAT trick!

I'd love to be able to do a trial at Sephora, but there isn't one very close to me, so that would be an all day event. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze some time in for it sometime in the next couple of months.

As for MAC make up, I love it and think it is beautifuly. But, I'm very allergic to it. They are definitely my favorite, so if anyone can wear it then I highly recommend it, but I'm broken out in a red rash before I can even get out of the door! I've tried just wearing the eyeshadow/eyeliner, but my eyes just say no!

Sorry if I missed anything...I'm kind of in a rush, I'll post more later!

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 3:46 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

You're so pretty! If you want what karebeargt posted then what you should do is when doing the eyeliner go heavier on the outer corners and "wing" it just a little bit (might take practice to get it to thin out perfectly towards the ends if you dont usually do it) and not make it so thick towards the middle of your eye. This will also work your falsies better. When you do your shadow, whatever color palette you choose, after putting on the highlighting color up to your brow bone (Id go with something peachy for you), you should defenitely add the "middle" color into the crease of your eyes all the way from one end to the other and then take a smaller brush and put the dark color almost in like a "V" on the outer corners of your eyes and then take a round brush and blend blend blend! This should give you a little more drama and pop them out some more. Have fun playing on your next day off! :)

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I think your make up in the picture looks nice, but what you may want to try a more dramatic lip. Or play with some different brushes. I know you said you are allergic to MAC, but they have an eyeliner called Smolder it is great for smokey eyes...Lancomb (sp?) makes one with a smudging brush on the other end it works well too. I also swear by their mascara.

But pick one, the bold lip or the bold eye.

Good luck! I know you'll look great!

http://www.mywedding.com/justinandmeaganswedding

a wedding website

CoutureBride27 Posts : 130 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jul 16, 2009 8:41 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Hi WinterwonderlandBride,

I agree with PP who said it's a bit too everyday. You are beautiful though so I think you only need a few extra techniques to really give that wow factor! I would think to play your eyes up a bit, if I can suggest a smoky eye which is really in fashion at the moment, I really like to play with charcoal/gray/black, but some people might find it a bit too harsh. Deep purple is also a good way to enhance your eyes, but I think with the colour you might want to try bronze colours?! Anyway, these are just my ideas, but I do think you've done a very good job!

: )

Cherish all your happy moments:  they make a fine cushion for old age.

**Christopher Morley**

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 5:27 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

You look very beautiful in this pic. I make up should be more glamourous and use of vibrant colors should be done. Why don't you try the latest trend of sexy smoky eyes, It would look lovely on you and try to use more of golden color blush.
pearl jewelry store

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine