When should you start looking at dresses?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

48q238u9asdjlk Posts : 1 Registered: 6/1/09
When should you start looking at dresses?
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 2:42 PM

Hello ladies,
I am newly engaged and am wondering is it ever too soon to start looking at dresses? What should be the timeline?

Thanks.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: When should you start looking at dresses?
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: 48q238u9asdjlk

Welcome to the boards. You should probably order your dress at least 6 months out. From there I would work backwards. If you are decisive and have a good idea of what you want then you won't need as much time and start 8 months out. The only problem with looking seriously too far in advance is falling in love with a dress and then having it discontinued. Also most shops will require a 50% deposit when you order your dress so you have to be prepared for that.

April2010Bride Posts : 134 Registered: 4/26/09
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: 48q238u9asdjlk

Hi! =)

I bought my dress a couple of weeks ago and my wedding is a little over ten months away. I wouldn't have purchased it so soon, but I had the discontinued problem that Tanis posted about. I fell in love with the dress as soon as I put it on, and my consultant told me that the dress was marked to be discontinued within two weeks, and it would be removed from the salon. I didn't want to take any chances, so I went ahead and bought it. Sure enough, the next week, the dress was discontinued, so I'm really glad I didn't wait.

Good luck!

Visit our wedding website!  www.momentville.com/TanyaAndRichard

Life is not about the number of breaths we take, but the number of moments that take our breath away.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: April2010Bride

welcome to the boards, and congrats on your engagement!

I actually bought my dress 21 months in advance! crazy...I know! lol

My mom and my FMIL were both in town, which RARELY happens since they both live in different states, so I decided to include them with the wedding dress hunt, and take them both to go look. We really were JUST looking, I just wanted to see what kind of styles were out there, and what looked good.....but I ended up finding something that we all loved, and it fit into my theme and venue perfectly!

I waited because at that time it was 26 months in advance, and i did not have the money to order it. So, i was basically going to wait until it was going to be discontinued to order it. So, i went into the shop in Januaray to show my MOH the dress, and the shop owner told me it was going to be discontinued. I still had time to order it, but i decided to just buy the sample they had in the store! It fit me, and there was nothing wrong with it! I ended up getting about 70% off the price!

So....there are advantages to looking early, and then disadvantages. I have started to look for my girls just so that I have this years line, and next years line to look at and find something that everyone is happy with.

Usually, once the new lines come out, they start to discontinue the old line. So, you have a little bit of overlap time too.

good luck!

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: 48q238u9asdjlk

I bought my dress almost a year before I got officially engaged. My FH and I knew we would get married for several years before he proposed with the ring (had to save up). The reason I bought my dress so early is because I had been looking at it online for a year and fell in love with it. So my mom and I for fun went and I tried it on and I knew I had to have it. Well it turned out to be on sell so she bought it for me as my wedding present right then and there. So there it sits in my closet till next summer. hah. So what I'm trying to say is it is never to early to get your dress, once you know who you are going to marry.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: 48q238u9asdjlk

I ordered mine 8 months before the wedding, and it came in in PLENTY of time for the wedding. If I had it to do over, I probably would have waited another couple months to order it, since it just sat around at the store for 4 months before I needed it. (I didn't want to take it home, since I have limited storage space. Also, it got far less cat hair on it at the store than it would have at my house.) But it seemed like a big deal at the time and I was worried that there would be a problem, so I ordered it early.

As for the question of when to START shopping, I started about a month before I ordered it. I went to four stores and tried on probably hundreds of gowns. Hated most of them! I finally found a store that I liked and decided to purchase from them. Narrowed it down to my two favorites and then my mom flew in and helped me make the final decision. I had a hard time finding a gown that I didn't hate, but even considering that, I'd made a decision in a month. Considering how many dresses I tried on, the whole process didn't take very long.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine