Overweight. Need to lose weight (not for MY wedding my friends)

Online Users: 1,336 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

lovelymadi Posts : 1 Registered: 6/13/09
Overweight. Need to lose weight (not for MY wedding my friends)
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 5:44 PM

I'm a bridesmaid and right now I'm 13 weighing 135 ibs. The wedding isn't for a while (October) and I really want to slim down. I can fit the dress but its uncomfortable at my sides. I can't spend any money though. Oh and my height is 5'1

Edited by: lovelymadi on Jun 14, 2009 10:17 AM

Kaylesgee Posts : 14 Registered: 4/5/09
Re: Overweight. Need to lose weight (not for MY wedding my friends)
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: lovelymadi

OK, firstly, since you're 13 you don't need to diet at all cos that will muck up your metabolism. What kind of exercise are you doing? If you're within walking distance of school, you could try walking that as much as poss insteaded of getting a bus or a lift. I was chubby when I was your age, but trust me, don't go crazy, you're still growing and trying all those stoopid Hollywood diets will stop your body from getting the nutrients it needs.
Kayles was here!!!!!

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: Kaylesgee

Let's make it 3 SC posts in a row. I agree with the PP (previous poster). Diets can mess up your metabolism for life. I know. I have the metabolism of a hibernating bear even though I exercise all the time. A healthy life style includes regular exercise and good nutrition. Make sure you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, starches that are whole grain such as whole wheat bread and brown rice, lean protein such as chicken breast, seafood and soy and low fat dairy. Some people find cutting soda and high sugar foods can make a real difference. Good luck.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:38 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

What's an SC Post? I'm such a newbie lol. I know, same here, I can't eat blimming anything fun without putting on weight, and that's mainly cos I tried over-dieting as a teenager
Kayles was here!!!!!

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:46 PM Go to message in response to: Kaylesgee

South Carolina! From looking at my profile pic you might guess I am 5 feet tall, but my husband is 6'8" and I am actually 5'7". Its like being married to someone with the metabolism of a teenage boy, which brings me to another important point for the OP (that's you Original Poster). As you are 13 and living at home under your parents roof I would talk to them and let them know this is on your mind. When someone else has control over what goes in the grocery cart and what gets cooked it can be a lot harder to live a healthy life style. My husband and I have had to make many, many adjustments to our meal plan to find something that works for both of us. Let your family know so you can make healthier choices by having healthy food in the house. You might even help them out. Living in this society bombarded by fast food and very convenient food choices that aren't even really food we can all use a little work.

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Oh right, I'm actually in the UK, but picked South Carolina when I signed up (shhh, it's just a helluva lot better than the sites over here!) What I did was go food shopping with my mum, and get the family involved, like going for swimming trips together, walking our dogs, it's all about little changes big differences
Kayles was here!!!!!

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

P.S. lovelymadi I was 140 pounds when I was twelve which sounded huge at the time, but I went through puberty early. Then I stayed around that size (I don' like the scale but I was a size 12) for 25 years. I peaked early and then maintained until I met the tall guy and put on some weight. IIt was only a size but it has taken awhile to take it off. Please do not let the number on the scale be your only measure of health! Take into consideration your height, your BMI or body mass index which is a measure of how much fat you have on your body. Normally it is your height vs your weight, but it doesn't take into account how much of it is muscle and how much is fat, which is really more important than just weight, how much you exercise, how you eat, what your blood pressure # is, how your cholesterol is. I think if I had paid a lot less attention to the number on the scale I might have avoided crash diets which messed up my metabolism.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I was thirteen when I first started dieting, and by fifteen I had a full-blown eating disorder. Now, I'm 24 and I'm a good 40 pounds overweight. Why? Because I royally effed my metabolism. I work out 6 days a week and I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, and I'm still overweight because my body does not metabolize food properly. Take it from me, it's just not worth it to diet at your age.

I know you want to, but please don't try dieting. If you really want to live a healthier lifestyle, focus on putting good foods IN your body rather than cutting OUT bad stuff. Stuff yourself with fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. And I agree, you're going to have to talk to your parents or guardians about your concerns. If they agree to help you out, they'll be able to buy you more healthy food.
My Planning Blog

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

I agree with everybody here, OP. I had an eating disorder by age 12, and even though I got over it (with help), until age 30 I was still really focused on cutting overall calories rather than just eating healthfully. At age 30 I started educating myself on how to eat better and once I started focusing on that, it was much, much easier to maintain a weight I was happy with rather than feeling like I had to starve myself.

Make sure you eat 4-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, make sure you get enough protein (otherwise you'll feel hungry a lot--that's what I've experienced), and then the whole grains, too, like Tanis mentioned. I find making an effort to include all the fruits and veggies I need makes a huge difference.

Then take a look at your dessert habits. I was used to eating almost 400 calories in dessert per day at one point (for me, that was a 4-pack of chocolate chip cookies). When I cut that in half most days out of the week, that makes a difference in my weight, too.

Also, in order to not feel deprived, I would recommend having a "cheat day" every week or two "cheat nights" every week, where you eat whatever you want. That way if you're jonesing for pizza, you have room for that in your eating plan and you get to look forward to it, rather than cutting out everything you love and then at some point saying "Screw this dieting crap" and eating a whole pizza!

preview image

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Lovelymadi, one more thing. You're at an age where it's a good time to try lots of different physical activities to see what you like and are good at. This may not help you in time for the wedding, but it will help you for life.

So if you don't currently swim, dance, or do any sort of sport, try something at your first opportunity at school or extra-curricularly, maybe one semester at a time. That way you won't end up like a lot of us adults who hate going to the gym and getting on the treadmill because we haven't figured out something else we like doing :). Maybe for the summer you can see if your school or local YMCA has a low-cost sports, dance or yoga program you could try. Even if you don't think you'll be good at it, try it anyway. At age 13, I was so concerned about looking stupid that I didn't participate in competitive sports and thought I was bad at them. Turned out that by age 18, after I'd gotten through my awkward physical stage, that I actually LIKED sports and WAS good at them. But I lost out on 5 years of sports because of my attitude.

Good luck!

preview image

Redlandsgirl Posts : 16 Registered: 5/4/07
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: lovelymadi

The one thing I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet, is that losing weight takes time. My husband and I are having a biggest loser competition with another couple. None of us are doing any "dieting". We are simply getting more exercise and being more careful about what we eat. Adding fruits and veggies not eating so much sugar, soda, and calories. The weight loss is slow going but it IS happening. I have lost 11 pounds but it has taken me 2 months to do it. My friend found a website that I found very helpful. It's calorieking.com. It can tell you the calorie content of just about everything under the sun. Once you know how many calories you should be eating and how many you actually are eating. It makes it easy to make cuts where necessary. It only took me about a month of actually "counting calories" and now I have better habits and can guesstimate my calorie intake. During that month I kept a food journal so I could look back at previous days. If I had the same meal today as I did a week ago, I already had the calorie count there in the journal and I didn't have to look it up again. I know counting calories can sound like a diet but it only feels that way in the beginning. It really has been more of a lifestyle change.
Besides, you said the dress fits you but you think it could be better on the sides. So you really only want to lose a few pounds anyway. This a safe and healthy way to do it. Good luck!!

AJLM Posts : 49 Registered: 11/18/08
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: lovelymadi

Everyone is correct that at 13 you shouldn't be dieting... but that doesn't mean you don't need to be aware of what you're putting in to your body and it will require your families assistance. Simple changes like not having junk food (soda, chips, ice cream, candy, pizza etc) and having more healthy snacks (fruits and veggies) can do a lot of help. These are not dieting tips, at your age you shouldn't be cutting calories, but life style changes that a large portion of people seem to forget.

Exercise is another big factor... but at 13 you really should be hitting the weight room. Walking/Jogging/Biking are a good idea. If your looking to add strength training to your exercise routine, pushups, planks etc. are good for your age group.

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: AJLM

At your age I thought I was fine. (although I was overweight) Everyone tried to "push" me to lose it and I fought it tooth and nail. Made me gain more weight actually! I agree that dieting isn't a good idea, if you screw up your metabolism you'll cause problems later on. One thing that was mentioned was more fruits/veggies/grains. If I eat my 5 fruits/veggies a day, I'm too full to eat other stuff! So yes, it's helping me! Another thing--do you eat when you're bored? Or sitting in front of the TV or computer? I do--and had to find other things to do instead of eating! It's not easy but it's gotta get done! Good luck!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine