Colors for February Wedding

Online Users: 1,304 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

BlackstoneSkinner Posts : 38 Registered: 5/14/09
Colors for February Wedding
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 12:36 AM

I'm having a bit of a tough time deciding on colors. Do I go with the wintery feel of blues, whites and silvers (though in Texas we don't have the typical white winter); Do I go with warm, inviting, cozy colors; or do I just go all out with the Peacock inspired rich colors? We aren't having a bridal party so bridemaids won't be an issue. While the absence of bridemaids makes my life easier, the absence of bridesmaids' dresses seems to complicate things. I need help! On of my prospective venues will have pale blue walls with gold accents.

Thanks tons!
Jennifer

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Colors for February Wedding
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: BlackstoneSkinner

Dear Jennifer,

For winter in Texas, you aren't exactly talking of New England type snowfalls.

I am inclined to your warmer, cozy colors ideas.

On the other hand, some couples go overboard on making everything match their "official" colors. A little mixing-and-matching is good.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: BlackstoneSkinner

You do not have to go with seasonal colors. here are my three "rules" for wedding colors:
1. Choose what you love
2. Choose what's flattering to you (and your wedding party, if you have one)
3. Choose what fits in with your venue

Since you have the blue and gold, the wintery blue color scheme would work. Or, you could go with stronger "jewel" tones, blending in deeper shades of the blue and gold. There also is no "rule" that says that you have to use just one, two, or even three colors. In your case, multi jewel tones would look great--and, remember, Mardi Gras season is right around your wedding date--very colorful!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Thank you both very much! I actually had something of an epiphany last night. I keep telling others that the color combination of apricot, cantalope and plum are gorgeous together. Well, if I think these colors are so great, why the heck don't I use them! What do you think? Could I pull off that color palette with pale blue and gold?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Dear Myra,

"remember, Mardi Gras season is right around your wedding date--very colorful"

Oh, that's absolutely brilliant. Purple, gold, green, rich yellow, really great.

I originally thought of red and white for a February Valentine's Day theme, but the very idea made me gag, so I did not write that in my post.

But, Mardi Gras colors would be fabulous in that setting. I bow to your brilliance.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: BlackstoneSkinner

I'm totally not making fun of you, but rather just giggling at "apricot, canteloupe, and plum", because those are fruits, not colors!

I think we brides try to overcomplicate things by making special names for our colors. I read a post a while back from a bride whose colors were "mermaid and pool". I don't really know what colors those are still. I wasn't taught those colors in kindergarten!

LOL but seriously, I think a warm orangey-peachy-purpley palette would be lovely, and I even dug up some inspiration for you:

http://feathersandflora.com/flowers_files/tuscan_beauty_cent_ribbon_2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/chrissymarie98/eggplantsagesilver.jpg
My Planning Blog

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

My venue is the Texarkana Regional Arts Center. Downstairs they display different peices of art from local artists as well as exhibits that come into town. So I'm sure the Mardi Gras thing will be going on downstairs (which also serves as a guest pacifier for lack of better word because they can look around while waiting for the ceremony to start). How do I make it look classy and not like Bourbon Street threw up in the room?

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Here is the issue of MB I was refering to in the email I sent you. Do ya think I can pull it off without spending the tons of money they've obviously put into it?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: BlackstoneSkinner

Apricot, plum, cantaloupe, pale gold, pale blue--sounds lovely to me. One of these can be your major color (Personally, I love the eggplant/plum with the peachy tones and a touch of blue). In something like the floral arrangements, you can put in little touches of the others--even tiny accents will tie all the colors together. You don't have to have a literal Mardi Gras "theme:" just know that the rich jewel tones are wonderfully appropriate for the season.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 9:56 AM Go to message in response to: myra

Thank you very much for all of your help! I'm loving the ideas!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine