D.I.Y HELP

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

AlyssaMarie Posts : 32 Registered: 1/3/09
D.I.Y HELP
Posted: May 31, 2009 10:21 AM

OK so we decied to do our invites, save the dates, center pieces and favors our selves to save money the only problem is i have no idea what to do or how to do it or even where to start if anyone could help give some ideas maybe even some pics of different things that would be awesome!

Please and Thank you!
Alyssa

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: D.I.Y HELP
Posted: May 31, 2009 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

I don't have any advice on the DIY part though I'm sure others will have good ideas. My advice is to skip the Save the Dates and put that money toward something else. They're not necessary and all the really "crucial" people you'd want at your wedding you've probably already phoned or told in person, right?

preview image

Posted: May 31, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Thanks...actuallu we were just talking and FH family lives in Cali so instead of save the dates we are just going to do rsvp so we know how many people to expect.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 31, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

I have a huge photo library and can send you pictures of just about anything you want--IF I knew anything about what you want! A color scheme, season, location, style--anything that could help narrow it down.

Speaking of skipping things to save money, I'd advise skipping favors. There have been long threads here on whether people even notice or care if you skip favors--the majority answer seems to be that most people don't care and many brides here are skipping them altogether.

If you are not a regular do-it-yourself person, always measure cost vs. stress when you take on a new project. Most things that can be done well ahead of time probably are fine. For example, printing your own invites: probably a yes, since there are ready made kits and most people nowadays have decent printers that can do the job. On the other hand, making your own wedding cake: probably a NO. Too many last minute things to do, too much that can go wrong. There are other ways to save money here (e.g. cake centerpieces, a smaller cake with sheet cake, cupcakes, etc.)

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: May 31, 2009 8:18 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Colors are going to be re4d and black, in new orleans and in november.

I actually never thought about cutitng out favors! But i do alot of scrap booking so i thought that that could come in handy.

MrsDeLouis Posts : 167 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 6:07 AM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

I'm doing a lot of DIY stuff as well. Invitations, save the dates, centerpieces, and flowers too most likely. I've found a lot of good ideas at Michaels.com and also on Martha Stewart Weddings.com Aside from that, I just started searching wedding centerpieces one day online and found soooo many sites. There is a lot of info out there online. You just have to look. The nice thing about Michaels is that they have the instructions should you find something you like.

Palmtree2 Posts : 9 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

As far as DIY flowers, check out russwholesaleflowers.com!

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 4:38 PM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

For your centerpieces I would definitely recommend something that can be made or put together in advance rather than fresh flowers. There is enough to do on the wedding day without trying to assemble centerpieces.

I've only been to New Orleans a couple of times and always associate it with Mardi Gras. Would you be interested in using those fun masks for centerpieces?

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: Palmtree2

I did a few things DIY. I made our invites:
SDC10027.jpg picture by steffmacmath
SDC10028.jpg picture by steffmacmath
Total cost $1 per invite. BUT I took a week off from work to make them, and it took the WHOLE week. Crazy.

I made our centerpieces:
photo8.jpg picture by steffmacmath
Total cost: $3 per table
They were these little photo frame things with pics of us on two sides, then the table number on the other side. I got the idea from Martha Stewart's website. They were kind of a pain to make, but I thought they were neat.

I made our menu cards:
pic1-1.jpg picture by steffmacmath
Total cost $.50 each
I had some help from both mom's to tie bows, but it was a lot of work! They were neat though. The little white box behind them was our favor. We had coffee mugs with the logo I designed on them. We stamped all the little boxes with a custom stamp I ordered. That was a fun project.

I also made our place cards
photo3.jpg picture by steffmacmath
The easels were $.80 each
These were easy, I just printed them at the same time I printed the inside pieces of the invites. I had to reprint a few at the last minute because of guest changes.. but pretty simple.

Overall, I though DIYing was a great way to get our personality into the wedding. We did save some big bucks on things like invites and centerpieces. But It was A LOT of work. I'm also a graphic designer, so all the computer stuff was easy for me. There are a couple of cool books on Amazon, specifically for DIY weddings. I looked through them for ideas, although I didn't make anything out of them. I personally thought the work was fun, so if you have time, go to town! There are a lot of DIY brides on here.

WilmingtonBride Posts : 2 Registered: 4/15/09
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

No worries.... For the Save the Date & Invitations go to www.mygatsby.com it's on of the easier DYI Invatition sites out there. As for the favors, think of something that you can share with your guests that you and your fiance love. For example, if it's working in the garden, then give them some flower or vegatable seeds and attach a nice card from the both of you to them. I hope this helps, if you need anything else. Just post and I am sure someone can help you.

Sandra Ortiz

Wedding Planner/Event Coordinator

sillymonkey Posts : 48 Registered: 4/6/08
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: AlyssaMarie

We are getting married in August this year and we did a lot ourselves. We made our own invites using clearance invitation kits from Jo Anns, Michaels, or Walmart. For 50 invites, envelopes, RSVP cards and envelopes it was $9.00 a box. We printed them in black ink on our printer and then I used clearance scrapbook paper in our colors for the directions page and printed those too. I then used whatever cheap ribbon and made a band that would slide over the invite. My soon to be grandmother in law tacked them for us with a single stitch(she was honored and very happy to do so). The total cost was well under $1.00 for the invite and the cost of stamps was low. If you want pictures just send me an email because you may get a faster reply=)
My centerpieces are two different sized cylinder vases that I got for $1.00 at Michaels. I got cleared decorative rhinestone bands that we wrapped around towards the top of the vases. We are filling them up with water and dying the water our accent color than putting floating candle wicks with vegetable oil (its so cheap!!!! and easy). Surrounding them are different size stemless wine ware that we got at $1.00 on clearance at Pier One. These too have candles in them. These are also the favors.
I've made 2 foam boards wrapped in (our wedding colors) ribbons to place my seating cards in (from Martha Stewart's website). The cards we will print ourselves and then they slide btwn the ribbon. You can use an easel to stand the boards up but this way the cards won't get shuffled around from people or the doors opening closing, etc.
The only flowers I have are the girls and my flowers. I've bought square vases that the girls can take home for $1 at Michaels. These go on the head table and the girls put their flowers in them.
One of my bridesmaids is making me a card box. Someone is making a slide show so the quests have something to watch while they wait for our entrance to the reception.
I had a long engagement (1.5 yrs) so I collected things along the way. You can always get 40% off coupons from Michaels so use them!!!! Just get things hear and there. Also after Christmas you can get lights for the head table at $1 or less!!! If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask just email me!!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine