Working with your Husband?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

Gaby0 Posts : 45 Registered: 5/25/09
Working with your Husband?
Posted: May 28, 2009 6:09 PM

I have heard that working with family is a bad idea, but I was wondering if working with your husband is smart thing to do? Will it help or hurt your relationship?

PS:I have a good job and I like it but it can be really stress full , I want a change and i'm checking what other options there are.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Working with your Husband?
Posted: May 28, 2009 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

That totally depends on the specific individuals and is not something you can generalize about. It could do either, depending on the people. So, not something that can be answered for you.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: May 28, 2009 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

Kenny and I could not work together we would kill each other. When we are working on home improvement projects we work from different angles of the same problem otherwise he is liable to get a hammer upside his head.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: May 28, 2009 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

My husband and I worked together before we got married. It was a stress reliever but I wouldn't say it improved our relationship.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Megarino Posts : 1 Registered: 5/29/09
Posted: May 29, 2009 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

I work with my fiance, but we work in 2 completely different areas. He takes care of the building/maintenance and I work in the office. We haven't had any problems. I imagine that if we both did the same thing and worked side by side all day we would probably kill each other. I guess it depends on your situation.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 29, 2009 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

No way - couldn't do it!

I love my hubby, but I need my time away from him. If I worked with him, commuted with him, AND lived with him, I'd kill him.

Fortunately for us, our fields don't overlap IN THE SLIGHTEST, so this will never be a problem! But just for fun, I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if he had the proper training for my job and worked with me. Honestly, I think I'd be pretty likely to get super-competitive with him. We both like friendly competition, but if we worked together, I think it would get a little out of control. And if I worked his job, I wouldn't have to kill him - I'd just kill MYSELF! I would HATE having his job!

No gonna happen - ever!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: May 29, 2009 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

I'm gonna go with a no on this one. DH and I are both strong minded bull headed people. Not good for working together in a professional environment.

wedding ticker

Wedding pics at www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: May 29, 2009 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

FH & I work in the same hospital, but I still yet NEVER see him there. However if we are working the same hours we will carpool. We don't even meet for lunch or anything. I like it that way, although the occasional lunch would be nice.

Scheherazade Posts : 107 Registered: 3/12/07
Posted: May 31, 2009 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

My husband and I used to have the same exact job, at the same place. But we rarely worked "together", as in side by side or even near eachother. We rode together, sat together on breaks and at lunch, and I might have seen him in passing throughout the day. It was perfectly fine. I think if you honestly like the others company that much it's okay.
Miranda and Martin - April 5th, 2007

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 31, 2009 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: Scheherazade

I am going to amend my answer.

we won't work together, really, but he plans to share office space with me and my partner. He is an electrical engineer, though, so we will be 'by' each other, but not doing even remotely the same work and our schedules, meetings, etc, will be completely different. I will work 'with' my partner, but in the same offices as my DH. That for us will be fine. I would not think we could work together on the same projects, etc, day to day though.

Sharing office space will be cool, though, and will save his company money when he starts up which is great since he will ahve to go out and get clients, and I get them easily, through a contract, so have a pre made client base that we can add to if we want, but don't have to in order to survive.

I look forward to it. It's probably a year to a year and ahalf out.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

SonjaD Posts : 18 Registered: 2/3/09
Posted: May 31, 2009 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

I currently work for my fiance (we are getting married on July 22/09!!!!) and I couldn't imagine working with or for anyone else. We had to both agree that work and relationship are two separate issues and not to let it affect either or. He is the CEO of the company and he has given me my own separate department to manage so maybe this is why it works so well. If you have the opportunity, I say go for it... !

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: May 31, 2009 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

I know I'm in the minority, here, but my fiance and I bought a business together last year, before we were even engaged. It has done nothing but bring us closer and closer together and was one of the wisest decisions we have made.

Obviously, this is an extremely rare case, but it has shaped our lives for the better.

joph Posts : 1 Registered: 6/1/09
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

For me, I would prefer my wife working with me together as I think this could improve our relationship. It's good if you can handle well.

Gaby0 Posts : 45 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

I'm going to take some time off from working to spend more time with my fh ,plan the wedding, go house hunting and learn more about my fh company. After I figure out all of this ,I will decide if I want to work with him or open my own business .

allisonfoster2B Posts : 65 Registered: 5/9/09
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Gaby0

my fh and i both work together. We are both cops. We have to deal with deployments (military). Our boss has not problem putting us together. At work we just act like friends. And nobody knows we are together. You just need to know how to be professional.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine