reception decoration problem

Online Users: 1,310 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

emjulybride Posts : 9 Registered: 2/4/09
reception decoration problem
Posted: May 9, 2009 3:16 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting married July 17, 2010 and am having the reception indoors. Problem is, the space is pretty plain and well, kind of ugly (will be MUCH better with decor). The site will not allow us to put holes, etc into the ceiling or walls, but I really want (and need) to hang sheer panels and lights since the ceiling is not pretty and really high. Any ideas on how to do this?? The room is basically square and has no columns. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Re: reception decoration problem
Posted: May 9, 2009 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: emjulybride

will they let you use command adhesive hooks/products and/or poster putty?? Both remove without damaging the surfaces. Is it a suspended ceiling? If so you can get hooks that hook onto the track or you can just pop a panel up and then let it back down on whatever you want to hang...

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 9, 2009 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: emjulybride

One thing that really helps an unattractive space is lighting. Keep the room dark and then focus light where you want eyes to travel--to your tables, dance floor, etc. Use lots of candlelight, uplights with colored gels, rented halo lights, etc. You can do lots of things yourself without spending too much. For example, rent a few trees, then uplight them. You'll cast interesting shadows on the walls. I can send you some pictures of various effects--just contact me through my website.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: May 9, 2009 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: emjulybride

Oriental Trading Company just came out with their newest wedding issue. On page 56 (for those of you who get it<G>) is something called "Removable Double-Sided Decorator Tape" (you should be able to search it at their website.

I actually turned my page down for it when I was flipping through the catalog yesterday, so it was an 'easy' find in the book.

Misty

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: May 9, 2009 11:15 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I agree about the lighting. If you get a DJ, he or she may have a lighting package you can add on.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

jkbride Posts : 19 Registered: 2/11/09
Posted: May 16, 2009 12:49 AM Go to message in response to: emjulybride

Totally agreed w/ lighting option. Get a custom made Gobo shine on the wall or on dance floor, some uplights around the hall :)

Most of the DJ have lighting service as well for like couple hundreds more. HTH

jkbride

www.myweddingconcept.com

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: May 18, 2009 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: emjulybride

Are you having a dance floor? If so a decorating company I was looking at for my venue has this cool canopy looking thing that goes around the dance floor. It's kinda hard to describe but it's very pretty. It's like a tent but not really lol. Also, you can put those lights around the cake table and the head table. They look like those little white christmas lights. It makes the table look really pretty.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine