Wedding Cake

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

elise73 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/7/09
Wedding Cake
Posted: May 7, 2009 12:29 AM

Has anyone had a wedding cake outside during a wedding reception or should you keep indoors prior to the cake cutting? I'm having my wedding reception at my mom's house in the backyard and we're having an issue with deciding whether or not to have the wedding cake outside. I plan to have it on the covered patio. Please help!

37 days to my wedding day

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Re: Wedding Cake
Posted: May 7, 2009 12:42 AM Go to message in response to: elise73

My FSIL had her's outside from the beginning of the reception (I think, not entirely sure) and it was a hot day and it did fine. When I say hot, I mean hot for me, so 90, maybe, but it was covered and therefore shaded.. I generally feel overheated at 70 and after that I often don't notice temperature differences so much. Anyway, I think it depends on the weather (heat and humidity) and what kind of icing you're using. If it's something that's going to melt in the heat, I would suggest keeping it insided until cake-cutting gets close.

We're having an outdoor wedding, but the reception area is in a very shaded area, so it'll likely be there the whole time, or at least most of it while waiting to be served.

Jean Posts : 101 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: elise73

I have done tented weddings where the cake was delivered and set up before the event and neither the temperature nor insects were an issue. And I've also done a wedding where the baker delivered the cake and set it up inside, and then returned to move it into the tent/reception area right before the reception was to begin. The weather was much warmer that day, and although the temperature was not a problem, we had to move the cake cutting up to during dinner because ants had found the cake.

You'll have to take both the temperature and the possibility of bugs into consideration.

Jean

www.weddingsfromtheheart.net

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: May 7, 2009 5:19 PM Go to message in response to: elise73

I think that buttercream icing can tend to melt in the heat, but fondant icing should hold up. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think that's it,)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine