Invitations for 2 receptions: help!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

mtngal Posts : 4 Registered: 4/17/09
Invitations for 2 receptions: help!
Posted: May 2, 2009 1:05 PM

My fiance is from the east coast and I'm from the west. Because not all of his family will be able to travel for the wedding (in the west), we're having a second "reception" (before the wedding) where he is from.

Now, because our reception site in the west is small, we're also limited in how many people we can invite. Thus, his extended family will be getting invitations to the east coast event and not the west coast event.

The complications arise when we start talking invitations and wording. We've been talking about this for a month now, and I'm still not sure we're not going to have a lot of confused people. We want people (who are only invited to the east coast event) to know generally when and where we're getting married and then invite them to the eastern event, but not have them expecting an invitation to the wedding. We want to say, "hey, we're getting married soon. we want you to celebrate with us. come to this party." We want to be general enough so they don't think an invitation to the wedding will be forthcoming. Does this make sense? Do you think they will understand our intent?

But then it has been suggested that we send out announcements to everyone who gets this east coast invite after we're married to say, "hey, we got married." I feel like it's a little unnecessary and a bit awkward. Is it?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Invitations for 2 receptions: help!
Posted: May 2, 2009 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: mtngal

Dear MTN,

Announcements are exactly the proper thing to do in a situation like yours. They announce the fact that a marriage has taken place, without inviting the person to the (already past) wedding. I think you are having a tough time figuring out what to do BECAUSE you are eschewing the actual problem-solver.

The East Coast event is, essentially, a reception to meet "you". Just you. The East Coast people already know him, but don't know you. I'll assume the reception is hosted by the groom's parents.

Mr and Mrs Homer Simpson
invite you to a reception to meet
Miss Edna Krabapple
date, time, place, etc.
(No mention of "future daughter-in-law", etc. The party has one purpose. The guests meet you.)

Once you get married, the announcements would say something like:

Mr and Mrs George Krabapple
announce the marriage of their daughter
Edna
to
Mr Bart Simpson
1/1/09
Springfield

It's important to put the date and the city in the wedding announcement. Since the announcement conveys the news of a done deal, you don't put them in the mail until the ceremony is complete. You can get them printed, addressed, stuffed, stamped and sealed ahead of time, but don't drop them in the mailbox until after the ceremony. You can send announcement to all the East Coast people, plus anyone else that you want to know about the wedding but cannot invite to the ceremony and same-day reception.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 5, 2009 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: mtngal

I'm a little confused... it sounds like your "second reception" is actually your first reception since it precedes your wedding and the reception that will follow it... right? If this is correct then what you are actually having is an engagement party, not a reception as a reception occurs after a wedding, not before one. I think it is just your wording that is making things so confusing.

So, just invite people to the east coast engagement party and then send them announcements after your wedding.

Have fun!

jkbride Posts : 19 Registered: 2/11/09
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

it sounds like your east coast event should be "engagement party" not a reception.
Do you want two mini reception? one in east coast and the other one in west coast? I know some ppl having 2 receptions in different location.

jkbride

www.myweddingconcept.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine