Do I really NEED a guest book?

Online Users: 1,250 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Do I really NEED a guest book?
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:39 AM

What exactly is the point of a guest book??? I mean...do I really need to have a book with my guest signatures in it? I don't want another thing that just sits around the house that collects dust. Would It be okay do without?

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Edited by: DoesntPlayNice on Apr 29, 2009 10:39 AM

RACR Posts : 52 Registered: 3/18/08
Re: Do I really NEED a guest book?
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I don't think you need a guest book. I think they make sense if someone else (MOB, FMIL) sent out your invitations so you could use it for addresses, etc. But if you did your invitations yourself then you already know who's coming and their address for thank yous so I think the guest book is kind of pointless.

What I have seen done at weddings which I think is cute is when the couple has a photo of them blown up with a border around it for people to sign. Just another option

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

We didn't do a guest book - rather asked ppl to write well wishes and are going to put them in a scrapbook that will be part of our wedding book/pics.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:07 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I don't see the point of it, either - but some people like to have a record of who attended their wedding. Personally, I'll look at photos if I forget who was there. Or dig out the box full of cards that I saved.

Some people forego the traditional guest book and have guests sign a photo mat or something like that. If that sounds like a better idea to you, go for it. If not, I don't think anybody will care.

We ended up having one - my MIL bought us one, and it seemed pretty important to her that we use it, so we humored her. Out of our 80 wedding guests, only half a dozen people actually signed it. We threw it away the next day, since it was pretty useless.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I'm definitely on the "you don't need it" train.

We have one because I somehow ended up with a promotion code for a free photobook on Shutterfly. So, we figured whatever, we'd make one with pictures of us and stick it on the coffee table. It's fine, but I really couldn't care less if it's there or not.

If you're not excited about the idea, I wouldn't bother with it. It's just one more thing to get together. :)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Dear MB,

No, you don't NEED a guest book. Some people like to have one, as it records who was actually at the wedding. It makes for a nice souvenir.

If you don't think you'd ever look at it again, just skip it.

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

We are not having a guest book. But we did decide to have a "guest ball". FH is an avid soccer player so we bought a soccer ball and will be having everyone sign it.

Lilypie Baby Tickerpreview image

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I didn't have one, but I knew I would never look at it.

We had a "blessing basket" instead. We cut colored card stock into quarters and had that available with colored felt-tip pens, and had instructions posted for guests asking them to write well-wishes or marriage advice for the bride and groom (and to sign their name to it). We saved those for our 1st anniversary and had fun reading them. At some point I'll put them in an album--right now they're still in the basket.

preview image

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 2:19 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

We are having our engagement pictures made into a coffee table ablum that will double as our guest book. There are photos on all the pages, and then white areas for people to sign. I loved the idea because it's a photo album, which I'll actually look at again, as opposed to just a guest book, which I probably wouldn't. This was included in our photography package, along with our engagement shoot, so I'm honestly not sure how much something like this runs. I'm sure you could make it on iphoto or one of the photo album making websites for less than it would cost to have a professional photog do it.

That said, I really don't think a guest book is necessary. If ours wasn't included in our photo package, I doubt we would have had one.
P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

I reallly don't see the point in buying one. Even though I can get a cheap one I just don't see me looking at it later on and don't see the point in wasting money on it. thanks yall :)

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

DPN - I didn't WANT one but Richard's dad insisted we have one. We had ONE page of signatures because everyone who knew us, just signed our framed picture we used a guest book. Now we have this lame book stuck in our coffee table that we NEVER look at. Our signed picture, however, is on our wall and we can see it everyday.

I like that soccer ball idea and the "basket of wishes" idea.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

We bought this as our guest book..

It's the same as the photo frame concept, but it's this really cool engraveable metal. It came with a cool pen, and they engraved it with our names and the wedding date. The guest signatures etch into the metal. We are setting it up at the wedding with our engagement photo, but we'll switch it to a wedding photo after. I haven't used it yet, since my wedding isn't for another 10 (yikes) days.. but it's beautiful. We have a spot all ready for it on our wall. The website was "i do engraveables"

But no, you don't need a guest book.

Kathome Posts : 7 Registered: 4/20/09
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I recently went to a wedding where the bride and groom had a piece of artists canvas and colored pens. All the guests wrote a message or just signed their name and I think someone even drew a picture! The bride & groom now have it hanging in their sitting room at home. They get to see it every day and it's a great momento.

Although you definitely don't HAVE to have one, sometimes you're so busy on your wedding day and you might have a lot of guests so you can't get around to talking to each one individually, at least you'll be able to see they were actually there if they've signed a guest book!

I think I'm going to have a photo guest book.

I'm having so much fun planning a wedding!

traveler Posts : 18 Registered: 6/17/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Instead of doing a traditional guest book, we are making a photo book. I've looked at sites like shutterfly.com and kodak.com. You can create a photo book of the two of you and leave space around the pictures for people to sign. That way it's not an extra book lying around that you won't look at, it's a photo book of the two of you before you were married.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I don't really get traditional guestbooks, either, but for my wedding I did a Polaroid guestbook and I would SO recommend it! I just bought a beautiful scrapbook and paper from Michael's, got some pretty pens, some doublestick tape (to stick on the backs of the picks), and a Polaroid camera and film. Then at the wedding I had a friend take photos of couples, tape the pic into the book, and they wrote a message next to it. Everyone raved about it- they had a blast taking the pics and seeing what everyone wrote- and we absolutely loved having something already put together that we could look at on our honeymoon. A friend had done this at her wedding before mine and as soon as I got engaged I knew that I was stealing the idea and I am really glad I did! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine