Any decorating ideas?

Online Users: 1,338 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

kwidener21 Posts : 98 Registered: 1/26/09
Any decorating ideas?
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:02 AM

For our reception we are going to have it at a local museum. It use to be an old armory and the town re-did it and make it into a Route 66 museum thing. They have a large banquet room that includes a stage and exposed ceiling and more of a rustic feel. We are not trying to go overly elegant, seeing as we are getting married on the beach, we wanted that "natural" feeling to flow over into the reception. I want to use lots of natural elements. We are going to try to do lots of candles (fire), there is water and flowers in the center pieces. Sand in glass bottles will be the favors... I thought about draping the ceiling in white christmas lights, but I don't know.

I'm a little worried about having to much "negative" space. It's a larger room and we are only expecting about 75 people. I was hoping some of you ladies could send your ideas this way!!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Any decorating ideas?
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: kwidener21

I can send you lots of pictures of "rustic" decor. Candles are always wonderful, and filling in the heights also is great. You can use the white Christmas lights or some sort of hanging decor (paper lanterns are great and inexpensive, but there are many other choices). Keeping outer perimeters dark and focusing your light in a smaller area creates a more intimate feeling. Or, you could use gobos to cast shapes on wals and ceilings. Again, I can send you pictures.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I'll go to your website... I don't want "rustic" I really want natural... I don't want people to come in and think of the old southwest... LOL! I figured that we would use white Christmas lights on the ceiling... candles on the tables... I thought about beige paper lanterns... Don't know how to not make it not look like a Hawiian party though?

jessdarval Posts : 5 Registered: 4/21/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: kwidener21

I got married in a barn type building with rafters this is what I did with it (please click on link you might have to cut and paste it). http://www.slide.com/r/eewa-ipK6T8sEJ4enF0JZtOKO-G2oeNQ?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original
I had 22 tables I rented the linens I made all of the flower balls(hanging from rafters with fishing line) in 3 differant sizes(for sale) I did votive candles(for sale) and rose petals on the tables. I also bought terracotta pots and grew wheat grass in them. My girls wore tea lenght tangerine orange dresses from David bridal. We were married right outside the barn I used tiki torches for the isle. I made tissue paper pom pom flowers to hang from the ceiling. We made all our own food. It was a great time! I have a full list of the items I have for sale please email for that list, it is all being sold as a set it is a great price. jessdarval@gmail.com

l_9b799ac91418c85761cba2407b989037.jpg picture by kaysn

l_736cb30ad1a0a17bebb4886a741bbbb1.jpg picture by kaysn

l_c3583b7b8c28a60c1bbfdd0f1265e8dc.jpg picture by kaysn

Edited by: jessdarval on Apr 21, 2009 8:59 PM

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: jessdarval

That looks amazing.... however the colors don't match mine. We are doing Brown, gold, and ivory. But it did give me some ideas. thanks!

LAcat88 Posts : 39 Registered: 9/15/07
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: kwidener21

A friend of mine had her reception in a building with a super high ceiling that made the room feel ridiculously large
So to make the space feel cozier and to add an interesting detail she strung white Christmas lights (a ton!) and then put a very thin white fabric (probably muslin) below it to create a second and lower ceiling.
You could even kick up the decorative touch another notch by stenciling a design onto the fabric before putting them up.

dawnO Posts : 40 Registered: 7/14/08
Posted: May 5, 2009 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: kwidener21

I am having a beach theme wedding and plan on having paper laterns from the Martha Stewert line or ones just like them...they come in white and my colors are sea & sand...so that might work for you. I am also thinking of using different sized white tin buckets for some of the food (fruit), beverages and candy (m&m's) on the dessert table.... and my centerpieces sound a lot like yours.... tall, big glass cylinders with sand at the bottom, a white pillar candle in the middle, shells on top of the sand and filled 1/3 of the way with water.

...donna

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine