A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 1,350 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 2,746

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Nessa my situation is exactly the opposite ... FH loves the sweets and while I like chocolate and everything I don't like everything that I bake. I usually hardly ever get to have it anyways because I bake a lot for family functions and everyone eats everything ... for Easter I had to make FH 2 chocolate cream pies - 1 for the family and 1 for just him after to have lol ... then I had to make these cookies that his brother loves. I love to bake new and different things and I am excited for school to get done with so I can cook and bake some more. FH's grandma gives me a cookbook for every holiday pretty much because she knows I love to cook different things and she writes little notes inside - it is the cutest thing!

well I should get back to doing homework ... I am just so sick of doing it constantly!!! AHH!!! ... I feel better now lol

flaahowa Posts : 32 Registered: 3/24/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Nessa and Rose-thanks for the dress ideas! I was thinking the same thing! I think I have decided on a dress. It's a long white flowy dress-I think they are calling them maxi dresses , its by Jessica Simpson

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=366330&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Nessa-I love your ideas with the camera but I have an update!!!! I am just looking for simple easy recipes. I have very limited cooking abilities. I am loving the hair ideas, Red is a bold color!

Rose- I can not wait to check out that book. My work schedule is kind of crazy right now but I'm going to try to make it to the bookstore. LMBO about the crush on the TA. Crushes are healthy and a part of life just make sure it stays there :)

Autumn- I actually have a treadmill right in my living room so there is no excuse for me! I just do not want to work out BUT I am glad you agree Wii is a workout lol I can do that every day and I need some extra practice so my FH won't win every single time!! Also the ring is gorgeous!!! I think there are so many great alternatives to diamond and I'm with you it makes me sad that people are dying over diamonds (yikes I feel bad about the diamond band!)

Ariana- thanks for the welcome!!! Yes we have asked (and taken) so much from our families lol but no one has a couch to spare. My FH and I went to craigslist and found a couple of great deals. I love the dress suggestions but I think I have decided on a dress!!!! My FH and I thought about waiting too, I think it's a great idea. Then you get to have the wedding you want without the financial stain or stress! Congrats on the weight loss! Every loss is big :) I cut out sodas too and started drinking crystal lights and tea with splenda. I haven't really changed too much at all as far as my diet just eating smaller portions and I have lost too! I walked for the first time today during my lunch and I was surprised at how fun it was. I wasn't dreading coming home to workout and I got to get away from the office. The wedding plans sound great, your guest list is huge!!!

***Wedding update****

Last night my mother offered to pay for the wedding!!! We are going to have 20 people and get married in a downtown park, she is paying for a professional photographer and I am so excited about. It pushes our date back to the end of June or early July but it will be worth the weight. I wish his family would pitch in for a min-moon. Keep your fingers crossed :)

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:11 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Autumn - about the Townhouse offer I just wanted to make a suggestion for what we had gone through ... our real estate agent told us we usually want to go lower than what we want to pay because the seller may counter offer. In your case if you want to pay $200k and offer them that much he may come with a counter of $207 and then you would have to counter and so on. So the only downfall is that you may end up paying more than you want to. You said that it has been on the market since last August .... did your real estate agent tell you what the original asking price was? I think that they can figure that out as well as what other townhouses in that complex are selling for. That can give you an idea of what you should pay. I just want to make sure that your real estate agent covered all this with you guys. Good luck and I am so glad that you found something that makes you guys happy!

Fla - I love the dress that you chose! It really is beautiful and I am sure that it will look gorgeous on you! Also it is great that your parents are kicking in for the wedding and I hope that you and FH can get your mini-moon!! Fingers crossed ... About the cookbooks ... I found out when I first started cooking and baking that it really is not as hard as it seems. For FH's birthday I made this gorgeous caked that took so long to make and I thought it was going to suck, but there was not 1 piece left! Just have faith in yourself and I am sure everything will come out fine!

Also about the weight loss - it has been raining here for the past 2 days so I haven't been able to walk and I really can't wait to get out there again! I hope the rain stops so I can go tomorrow! I really like walking at work because it gives me a break from work and I don't have to worry about working out when I get home and have 10 million different things to do. We should do our mini thing for weight loss on here and see how we do with each other! I am trying to shape up for the summer and my graduation party and FH's graduation party as well as plan to stay in shape for the wedding. I think we have enough time for that though lol. I have to say that I did want to get married earlier, but as I said with the financial situation and school and stuff it just will be too much stress. I do want something other than school to look forward too now though so I am really looking to get this reception thing out of the way! Anyways back to homework talk to you all tomorrow!

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:32 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 1:57 AM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

All the conversations are fun! Do you guys mind long posts? There's so much that I want to reply to...

Autumn- Major, major props to you for wanting a moissanite ring! I too am not a big fan of diamonds and have widened my search to include moissanite, colored stones, plain bands, etc. My favorite though? Wood rings. Check out a this gallery: http://www.touchwoodrings.com/gallery.html I find their simplicity beautiful. I love the connection with nature, that they're handmade, they're completely ethical and very unique. It's true that they show signs of wear, but if I got one I wouldn't wear it every day after the wedding, because I love the concept of exchanging wedding bands, but an engagement ring is a symbol, like a bonus to the engagement for me. FH and I have talked about it and he's of the same mindset, which is good, lol. I half-jokingly told him if he felt like spending a few thousand to engage me with I'd like a new DSLR camera, though of course I'd happily accept a diamond ring if he chooses to go that route. He knows my "typical" jewelery tastes: simple/traditional (yellow gold, solitare, round, no more than a half carat) or unique (maybe two-tone, asymmetrical, colored stones, etc.) as well as the style of jewelery I wear every day (dangly earrings, glass pendants, earth tones), so we'll see. All he has to do is ask--I don't need or even want new jewelery, just him.

Timing? That's a huge question. He first suggested getting engaged last June, but we both knew we weren't ready and the reasons weren't right. We've talked about the future extensively, and agreed last year that this summer would be the earliest ideal time. In fact he's pretty set on getting engaged this summer, probably around our 3 year anniversary in June, and being married a year later before we head overseas to teach. More on this later...

Thanks for asking, it feels good to talk, especially to people who are in similar situations...

Brighter wrote: " However, there are times when in the middle of the day my heart
literally starts aching because I miss him so much...and in those
moments I stop caring about the freedom and the amazing weekends, I
just want to be with him all the time."
Just wanted to add that I completely, 100% agree. sigh But I found a ride home this weekend so I get to be with FH and see my family!

Nessa- That hairstyle is cute and sophisticated! All I have to say about the model's hair color is wow! that's very red, hehe. Also, I really like your tiara. Damn, I'm already excited to see your wedding photos and I have to wait over a month! ;)

flaahowa- LOVE that dress! That is my favorite style- informal yet sexy and elegant. J.Crew's website has a bunch like that too. Yay for your parents! A wedding in the park will be gorgeous in the summer, and I'm glad to hear you've got a pro photog. And thanks for the reminder, but absolutely no worries, this crush is not leaving my imagination!

Weight loss support group? I'm totally in. I had to stop working out (stationary bike) a few weeks ago because I developed tendinitis in my knee, but there hasn't been any pain for awhile so I'm hoping to start again soon I've been walking more often (can't use the excuse of cold weather to ride the bus anymore) and eating much healthier. I've lost a few pounds so far but hopefully it's just the beginning!

There was so much more I wanted to say but I've got to go to bed... Catch up with you all tomorrow!

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hey girls! Wow I have a lot to catch up on!

Brighter: Yay for being done with school! lol. I am just about done with school for the summer as well--I have 3 weeks left! I am SO excited for a nice long break! I really need it! I can't imagine going 2 weeks without seeing Chris! That would make me so sad! hugs

Nessa: Oh you're so close!!! 31 days!! I remember what discovering that was like before I got married...I freaked out because I felt like I had way too much to do and NO time to do it! The hot springs sound AMAZING! I was just thinking that that would be a really really fun thing to do! As far as having the officiant there for the rehearsal, I think that would probably be a good idea, just so that he/she can know who is who and all that. He/she will also be able to help things run smoothly and take care of any last minute things--we had to have ours make an announcement at the end of the ceremony that everyone needed to take a different route to the reception hall b/c the original route had been closed for road construction. I love your hair too! It's very similar to how I did mine! I'm glad dance classes are going well--I could never get Chris to do that!

Flaahowa: Welcome to the boards! I would definitely search Craigslist and Ebay for stuff for your apartment, and I would also try Weekends Only. They have some nice stuff and decent prices too! That's awesome that your mom is paying for the wedding now! Having a pro photographer will help make the day feel special! If you can afford it, maybe try to get a pedi and mani with your mom or some friends before the wedding--cosmotology schools do those for really good prices--and feel pampered?

Coquille: Hmm...I really have no idea about cooking over an open pit. Sorry! Is there a meat market near you? Maybe the place that you are getting the meat from would have some suggestions?

Autumn: Your ring is beautiful!!! And so it the house! Hopefully all that works out for you! I would love to be house hunting right now but we can't. :-(

Rose: You poor dear! I will give Chris a hug for your sake when I see him tonight! lol. :-)

Ariana: You must be so excited to be graduating! I am...and I have three semesters left! lol.

There was a lot going on! Sorry if I forgot anything!

Chris and I have had an interesting couple of days...a couple that we are friends with got married on Monday at City Hall so we went out with them that evening to celebrate. I was the DD so Chris could just concentrate on having fun with his friends, which he never gets to do because the groom and the groom's brother are both Marines and are never home, and because of his work schedule. Anyways, he ended up getting really sick on the way home and we were up till 5 am because of it and we don't really know why he got sick because he didn't really drink that much. We thought it could have been what he ate for dinner, but then I felt horrible yesterday--like I had the flu only I never got sick--and I didn't drink anything while we were out! So we are kind of thinking that we both had a bug. So yeah, that sucked but we had a lot of fun before the sickness happened!

We are anticipating a really fun weekend too because there is a party for our Marine buddies on Saturday and then my sister's grad party on Sunday. So that will be really fun and it hopefully won't involve illness of any kind!

Other than that, I have 3 weeks left until I'm on break for the summer and I am SO excited!!!

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

Hey guys I was just taking a quick break at work and I love the idea of the mini-diet post here. I haven't really been taking the weight loss thing too serious but now that there is a professional photographer I really want to come down 30-40 pounds! I've been looking online and talking to coworkers and decided to try the grapefruit diet. I'm going to start the diet tomorrow and walk/jog a mile a day!

Here are my starting stats
Height: 5'6 and 3/4
weight: 188

I will keep everyone posted on the weight loss. I think I'm going to weigh myself every 2 weeks!!

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

Autumn - I am glad that is what you are doing and I just wanted to say good luck with everything I hope he takes your offer! That townhouse looks really great and I am glad that it is big enough for you guys!

Ryanne - I will be done 2 weeks from yesterday and let me tell you I CANNOT wait. I mean I am planning on going to grad school but at this point all I am focusing on is the fact that I am going to graduate and have my degree and if I wanted to work full time as an accountant right now I could ... it really is a great feeling and I have to say I am proud of myself for reaching this goal in my life! FH picked up his cap and gown today and he is really excited too ... I can't remember if I told you guys but we are graduating a day apart from each other - it's going to be nuts!

About the weight loss ... I am def in. It has been raining for the past 3 days here so I haven't gotten any walking done but I have also kept up with the no soda and guess what? No weight gain so I am excited.

Stats:
I am 5'3
I weighed 137.2
I am currently at 135
I am looking to get back to the weight I was before I met FH which was 118-120. So I have another 15 lbs to go! Even if I don't loose the full 15 if I just shape up in areas that will be good enough for me!
I will probably weigh in every week to let you know my overall status ... how many miles walked, weight loss, etc.
So hopefully no rain tomorrow so I can get back on track here and start walking again! Well I am getting ready to leave work and I have class and a presentation so wish me luck and talk to you all later!!

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

theblackdiamond... Posts : 18 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

That Jessica Simpson dress is gorgeous! I can't believe how good the price is for how pretty it is!

Hey guys, i'm new here!

I've been engaged for about 6 months, and i've been somewhat of a slacker in the planning since I pretty much turned it all over to Sandals. Flowers, bridesmaid dresses, THE dress... it all just seems so stressful!

Plus we recently found out that his parents aren't going to go (since it's all the way in Jamaica), and that was kind of a bummer. He's not close with them, really at all, but it's still kind of sad.

I need a pick-me-up from other young brides to be!

------- 

On June 5th, 2010 I will become Mrs. Ashlyn Brewer!

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: theblackdiamond...

Autunm- lmbo! I get discouraged when I weigh myself too much, but if this diet works then I may find myself having that same problem lol

Blackdiamond-welcome!!! Sorry to hear the FH parents aren't coming :( Your wedding will still be special and you can show them pics when you get back! That will give both of you a chance to bond with them. Your wedding plans sound great! Keep us posted on hair styles and dresses. I'm sure there are some brides on this thread who could really help you out with colors and bm dresses. Oh and thanks I love the dress too, the fabric is amazing!!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: theblackdiamond...

Well I guess I'm the giant in here! With the exception of flaahowa, are you really all 5'3"? I'm 5"11", though my driver's license said six foot for a while as I always hoped I'd grow one more inch. Guess it comes as no surprise that I never wear heels and won't be at my wedding, huh? lol

Flaahowa- Just make sure you're still giving your body the nutrients it needs to function properly while on the grapefruit diet. Celery and lettuce have few calories too, so maybe you could expand it to be a fruit and vegetable diet? I'm trying to eat less, less often, so we'll see how that goes.

Ariana- Congrats on starting the weight loss! I too have been walking more often, and I also do strength exercises at home. My muscles are sore the next day and I get to avoid uber buff guys in the weight room, so it's win-win for me.

Autumn- Are you into photography? It's been a hobby of mine since I was little, but the past few years I've worked at my university's newspaper. Last year I was the photo editor, but it took so much time and energy, not to mention the toll on my GPA, that I've hardly shot at all this year and I miss it. Don't worry about what other people may think of the engagement and moving timing. You guys will do what's best for you and that's all that matters.

Brighter- Find any cute new clothes while shopping?

Nessa- Do you have any sunshine yet in CO? Our next several days are supposed to be increasing in temperature so everyone is pumped for Friday when it's predicted to be 83 degrees! The lawns will definitely be covered with girls in bikinis.

BlackDiamond- Hi and welcome! This is a great place to talk to other young brides. How old are you and FH and where are you from? Do you really have a black diamond engagement ring? I'd love to see photos!

FH got news yesterday that he's been rehired as an American Counselor at English camps for children in Japan for two months this summer. I'm so happy for him, and yet a little nervous too. This will be his third year with the program so we've done it before and I know we can do it again, but we had some major issues to work out after he returned last Aug. I thought all of those were in the past but suddenly today I feel insecure and stressed all over again. I'll definitely talk to him about it this weekend in person, and I know I'll walk away feeling right about everything again. We'll also have to consider the future (though aren't we always?) and determine if an engagement in June, prior to him leaving, is still a good idea. I think he's for it, but I'm hesitant. Feel free to throw any advice or questions about this at me. It'll probably be a recurring topic in my posts. ;)

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Hey girls! I really like the idea of being a support group for loosing weight! I just feel like a heffer.....I am 5'5"ish and last time I weighed myself (which was in February) I was 217......I want to loose about 40 pounds to be about 180, which is where I am my most comfertable, but its been several years since I was there. I have always been big, I had to get mesured for a bra the other day and I am a 40 H......I think that needs to go down a little bit! FH bought me the crunchless abs and I have been trying to do every day, and one of these days I will get up the guts to go check out the fitness center at work, but everytime I have seen people in there it is skinny women and I get really self concious.

Welcome Blackdiamond! How exciting to have a destination wedding!! I am sorry FH's parents won't be there. I am kind of going through the same thing. FH's mom passed two years ago, and his dad is being to stuborn to take the time off of work to come. His sister has to work, his Grandma can't make it and his brother can't make it out because of money. So he only has 1 family member comming and thats his oldest brother. but all his friends will be here.

So I had a fun day, I walked into work and told my boss about the wreck I almost got into, then she told me to sit down and just talked to me about her daughter and wrecks she has been in then she asked me about the school I went to because her oldest daughter is looking into a school like it, and my boss knows I didn't have a totaly great experiance at my school. So she called her daughter and had me talk to her daughter about advice looking into a private school. So for the first 45 mins of my shift I was just chatting up with my boss. Then I got into my office, and my office mate and a few coworkers were hanging out in there talking about American Idol, and being loud and obnouxious. Then I got a text from my friend that lives in the next apartment complex over asking me to come kill a wasp for her, so when I got off of work I went and did that and hung out with her and her adaroble son. It was so nice because I haven't seen her since she had him and that was almost 6 months ago.

theblackdiamond... Posts : 18 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Hey girls, thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Flaahowa - Thank you! We're planning on having a reception at my grandparents house (which is in the same town as his parents') so at least we'll be including them in that. Please keep me posted on how your grapefruit diet goes... it sounds like it would be a pain, but i'm sure results are what matters. If you do extend it to fruits/veggies, you should make a fresh fruit smoothie out of just fruits. It's so filling!

Rose217 - Thanks for the welcome! And, haha, i'm also 5'3. Imagine that!! What kind of shoes ARE you planning on wearing at your wedding, if any? Yes, I have a black diamond ring.. well, sort of. We already got the wedding band soldered to the ring, and the actual engagement ring is a regular diamond and the wedding band has two rows of black diamonds and two rows of regular.

Apparently Zales is no longer selling the wedding band (thank GOD we bought it early!!), so here is the best picture I have... not a HQ image.

About your situation with your FH, (does that stand for future husband?), it definitely seems like a sticky one. I can't imagine trying to do the engagement and planning (which should be a really exciting time!!) while also being separated like that, especially if it's caused you issues in the past. I think you should really consider what will make you happy at the time, and ignore things like what the plan is or what you think you should do. Good luck. I know it can't be easy to be separated like that. You guys will have to make really good use of the time leading up to then!

NessaRae - thanks for the welcome!! I'm sorry about your situation as well. Even when our men don't act like it, I know it probably bothers them to think about getting married without their immediate family. I think that your fiance should just flat out tell his father that it is important for him to be there, if he hasn't already. If he wouldn't mind doing that, hopefully it would make it clear to his father. Maybe he just doesn't understand how important it is for him to be included. Good luck!

Oh - and someone asked how old I am, i'm 20 right now, a month to 21 (!!!), but i'll be 22 when I get married. My birthday is June 1st, my fiance's is June 4th, and we're getting married on June 5th, which is also my grandparent's 45th wedding anniversary. It's all so perfect! :-)

------- 

On June 5th, 2010 I will become Mrs. Ashlyn Brewer!

Edited by: theblackdiamondbride on Apr 22, 2009 8:45 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine