Colors: orange but I already told the girls to get their own dresses

Online Users: 1,268 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

KLAM Posts : 28 Registered: 3/11/09
Colors: orange but I already told the girls to get their own dresses
Posted: Apr 6, 2009 11:54 PM

Hi everyone!

So its been a month since I've been engaged and we're already full force planning (personally I think its crazy) anyways...
When I asked my girls to be in my party I told them to get a black dress that looks good on them and thats what they would wear. One of the girls said she didn't want to pick her dress and told me just to go to a store and if I saw one I liked to tell her. and my sister said it was a good idea for them to pick out their own dresses. So I was thinking they could keep their black dresses and I would just use and accent color for a sash or something. I really wanted to use pashminas but July (2010) is too hot to carry around one.

Two weeks later, my f.h. tells me that he thinks orange would be a good color for our wedding, because I'm notorious for orange being my favorite color.

So now I'm torn, I don't want to go back on what I said about the black dresses but orange would be a good idea and I like it. I'm sure there's still time to change my mind but the idea of changing bothers me a bit. I also don't want our wedding to look like a halloween party.

Sorry it was so long..

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Colors: orange but I already told the girls to get their own dresses
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 12:51 AM Go to message in response to: KLAM

Have any of your girls ordered their dresses yet? If not, just tell them that you changed your mind. You still can let them pick their own dresses--if you're worried about colors going together, either pick a manufacturer and a color palette or give them paint chips and let them match a dress. If anyone has bought the dress, then go with black and blend orange into their flowers, which can be a mix of colors, so they don't look too Halloween-y. Then, use orange in your reception decor--nobody will care if your girls are in black dresses, because there's no rule that says they have to match the tablecloths. And, half your guests probably will be in black anyway.
myra atwww.classysassyweddings.com

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Apr 7, 2009 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: KLAM

Considering it is so far in advance my guess is that none of the girls have ordered dresses yet. I would gather them up and let them know you've had a change of heart about the colors and would liek to go dress shopping with them. What I did with my girls was made an appt at a bridal salon that had an array of designers available in BM dresses and we all went together. I wanted them to wear teal dresses but there are different shades, so I picked one out from one of the designers (dessy group) and let the girls try on designers that we could get that color in and pick their own dress. They all found a dress that day and the bridal salon offered them 20% off if they ordered within 2 weeks, they all ended up ordering it that day. It really saved a big headache of who is wearing what and how it is going to match and all that. This way too their dresses are from the same dye lot so they will match exactly. The bridal salon will also have lots of swatches of colors to chose from and may even have one they can give you of the color you chose so that you have something to work with when figuring out the rest of your wedding decor :o)

I hope this helps!

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

KLAM Posts : 28 Registered: 3/11/09
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 2:14 AM Go to message in response to: 2009ToBeMrsV

Thank you ladies.. I think my dilemma is that I don't like to change my mind because I'm not sure, its just a part of who I am..

I do like the idea of Orange flowers and have begun looking already.

I will probably just end up talking to my girls and asking them what they want to do.

Thank you again.

- Leah

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 7:58 AM Go to message in response to: KLAM

i agree it would be no big deal if they haven't purchased anything.

you could always use accent of orange with the black dresses though. if you use it right it won't look like halloween.

i would call the girls straight away and get a plan going!

jessdarval Posts : 5 Registered: 4/21/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: KLAM

I got married in a barn type building with rafters this is what I did with it (please click on link you might have to cut and paste it). http://www.slide.com/r/eewa-ipK6T8sEJ4enF0JZtOKO-G2oeNQ?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original
I had 22 tables I rented the linens I made all of the flower balls(hanging from rafters with fishing line) in 3 differant sizes(for sale) I did votive candles(for sale) and rose petals on the tables. I also bought terracotta pots and grew wheat grass in them. My girls wore tea lenght tangerine orange dresses from David bridal. We were married right outside the barn I used tiki torches for the isle. I made tissue paper pom pom flowers to hang from the ceiling. We made all our own food. It was a great time! I have a full list of the items I have for sale please email for that list, it is all being sold as a set it is a great price. jessdarval@gmail.com

l_9b799ac91418c85761cba2407b989037.jpg picture by kaysn

l_736cb30ad1a0a17bebb4886a741bbbb1.jpg picture by kaysn

l_c3583b7b8c28a60c1bbfdd0f1265e8dc.jpg picture by kaysn

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine