Decorative Lighting Advice Please

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Decorative Lighting Advice Please
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 10:41 PM

I want to have decorative lighting (uplighting on walls, spotting centerpieces, etc...nothing difficult like a monogram) however I have no idea how to find someone to do this. Maybe it is because of where I live, but I have never been to a wedding using lighting. How does everyone else find these type of vendors?

I believe that officially live in the middle of nothing. Seriously, thats not an exaggeration, my cake will be coming from about 2 hours away.

wedding widget

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Re: Decorative Lighting Advice Please
Posted: Jan 10, 2009 10:55 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

This is the second decorative lighting post tonight!!

I would start by asking your florist - our florist (who I think is technically an event designer) is doing our lighting as well. If your florist doesn't do lighting, chances are he or she will know who does. If that doesn't work out, I would ask the people at your venue who has done lighting for them before. Some venues have weird rules on lighting, so you should make sure that they allow it in the first place!

EngagedEli Posts : 3 Registered: 1/23/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I definitely think you'll be able to find some lighting options. It's gotten common enough that I think a lot of vendors are jumping on the trend and offering them. Our DJ actually offers to do up lighting (and make monograms), so that might be another lead to chase down.

Meagz1226 Posts : 13 Registered: 3/28/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I am having uplighting in my wedding tent- the rental company doesn't do it but they referred me to a woman who bascially is a decorator. I'm renting linens from her and she is also draping the side and center poles in white fabric.

So I guess first try rental companies around you, and if they can't do it see if they have worked with anyone who does? I agree with asking florists also.... good luck!

ThunderLights Posts : 1 Registered: 4/21/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 8:11 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I just stumbled across this forum, so please excuse my "newbieness". I have an idea for you on the lighting problem.

I was asked to provide the flowers (living plants) for my niece's wedding. I'm a landscape designer by trade. I've been working with low voltage lights for years and am providing the lighting for the reception as well. Like many landscape designers, I have a demo kit that I use to set up temporary lighting effects for a prospective client's home. It's a portable lighting system which consists of fixtures to produce uplighting, moonlighting, spotlighting effects. My demo kit has more than enough lights to do some simple uplighting and limited spotlighting at a small-medium sized banquet hall or outdoor tent.

Since I'm preparing for this upcoming wedding, I've been upgrading and expanding my demo kit to accommodate colored lenses, gobos, table centerpiece fixtures, etc. By the time I'm done upgrading, I'll have a portable lighting system that can provide some great lighting effects for a 250 person banquet hall.

Having said all that, I'd caution that I am an extremely creative person, with 25 years of experience in low voltage lighting. If you can find someone like me in your area, it might be the answer to your problem.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

If the job is simple enough, you can do it yourself with some simple lights that you can train on walls. What's in your local yellow pages? Business to business pages? Do you have a local theater company (high school or junior college?) You may be able to get lighting help from someone there. Check out the "instalyte" website for some ideas. And gobos (monograms or lights that cast shapes on walls and ceilings, even movable ones) are widely available online. If all else fails, you always can turn down the lights and use lots of candles.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine