transportation

Online Users: 1,251 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

StephanieMay10 Posts : 11 Registered: 12/22/08
transportation
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 10:41 AM

I am a really confused about how transportation is done. I have done a lot of looking on the internet and have not found any help.

We are planning on just borrowing a car for transportation to the wedding and to the reception, but how do you get from the reception to the hotel. What have you done or planning to do? The dilemma I am seeing is the alcohol in the mix the majority of our friends and us will be drinking and I dont feel comfortable trusting that my FH or any friends will be in a condition to drive and I dont want to force anyone to not drink. HELP PLEASE!

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: transportation
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Does the hotel you guys are staying at do shuttle buses? I think that's the best bet, or maybe you can hire a bus to pick you and those staying at the hotel up from the reception. Or just do a limo from the reception to the hotel for the bridal party and close family. As for the guests, I wouldn't stress about them, if they are old enough to drink they are old enough to understand they need to either not drink or cut them selves off after a certain amount if they are driving. They need to make their own driving arrangements though, rather that be if it's a few that are riding together, one of them will be the DD, or find other means such as a cab. I'm sure you already have enough planning and concerns about the different parts of your wedding day, I don't think driving arragements for the guests should be apart of that, unless it's extreme circumstances like they are coming from out of town, or someone is disabled.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

We are getting a one way ride from a town car after the reception. It was about $100, and we don't have to worry about driving ourselves. Some people will do a limo, but most of the weddings I've been in, the bridal party was on their own after the reception. Some hotels may have shuttles back to the hotel as well.

One word of warning.. you are a May bride like me.. so book early because it's prom season, and a lot of limos will require bigger deposits or longer minimum times.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 2:30 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Just because it's a wedding, there's no excuse to drive drunk--adults need to be responsible for themselves. They also are responsible for their own transportation. That being said, the suggestions above for a shuttle or bus are good and they are considerate. If you cannot afford to provide this for free, you can offer it as an option that people can pay for themselves.

One suggestion: cut off alcohol about an hour before you end the reception. Have an attractive coffee/tea/cookie service or bar for the last hour, so people can sober up before hitting the road. And make sure that your bartender cuts off anyone who obviously has had enough--that's their legal responsibility anyway, in most states.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

StephanieMay10 Posts : 11 Registered: 12/22/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

The bus is a good suggestion. I was actually referring to just me not the other guests. Although they are a concern, all my friends are 21 or 22 and fresh out of college, so I am concerned about that a bit, but not too much.

I am mostly just asking how FH and I will get to the hotel from the reception because I don't want to have to ask a friend to not "enjoy themselves" and stay sober so they could drive us. Thanks again.

TRACYJOHNSONBRA... Posts : 42 Registered: 2/8/09
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 3:29 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I just got married in March. I probably never would have thought about this except for my husband works for a cab compan, but a cab is an option. I don't know how it works in your area as far as pricing if it is by zone or meter. You could call the company and find out how much they charge. Also if you know the specific time you want it you could get it set up a head of time as well.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine