Photographer Website Warning Signs

Online Users: 1,369 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Photographer Website Warning Signs
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 3:10 PM

Just a few minutes ago, I read another thread where a new Brides.com member recommended a wedding photographer. Upon checking out this photographer's website, I had noticed some things which I had observed on some other photographers' websites. I'm sharing these insights, so that you may be aware of this as you search for you wedding vendors, be able to make informed decisions and perhaps know when you are being deceived.

In this day and age, anybody can go out to the camera store, purchase a camera and call themselves a wedding photographer. You only have one chance to photograph the first kiss, it has to be right. But what are some of the signs that a photographer might be trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

• 1) A lack of diversity. When looking at a wedding photographer's website, idealy you want to see a variety of events and lighting situations.

• 2) Consistancy of the look, feel and style of the photographer. Do some images look out of place with different sizes, cropping or extreme color tone differences? This might be a sign the photographer is displaying the work of other photographers.

• 3) Your inability to view a complete event. Any photographer, even you, can occassionally take a great shot. But your wedding photographer should be able to demonstrate a consistantly high level of ability throughout a complete wedding.

• 4) No mention of professional experience, education or membership in any professional associations might also indicate a new photographer.

• 5) A recently registered website can also be an indicator of a new photographer. Website registrations can be checked via the WHOIS function at www.netsol.com or www.godaddy.com.

Taken on their own, any one of these yellow flags might be totally innocent. Such as in the case of a photographer who recently left another studio and was not allowed to take any of their work for portfolio usage. However, when several of these signs appear at once, more serious questions need to be asked or better yet, continue your search. It is one thing when your potential photographer is honest, states they are new and let you make an informed choice. It is a completely different story when a photographer attempts to deceive you and make you think they have more experience than they really do.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: Photographer Website Warning Signs
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

oh Howard, always so helpful!
i actually just looked at your website for the first time today out of curiosity and it is lovely! Wish I lived in the area!

thanks for the great advice as always

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: Photographer Website Warning Signs
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Very true, thank you Howard.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine