Skipping Period for Wedding...

Online Users: 1,286 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

MrsB2Be Posts : 16 Registered: 12/21/08
Skipping Period for Wedding...
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 7:55 PM

Hi All.
I am on bc and am planning to skip placebo because I am due to get it on my honeymoon but I tend to get cramps for like 3 days before I go on placebo (but I never get my period early). For those of you who have skipped their period on purpose I was wondering if there is a risk of it not working (so I'll have to carry tampons around with me anyway) or if it always works.

I am on ortho-tri cyclin lo if that makes a difference

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Re: Skipping Period for Wedding...
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 8:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

Being on on ortho tricyclin lo does make a difference, since that is a lower amount of hormones compared to the non lo version. Its what I take too.

I have A LOT of experience with trying to skip my period, since I hate having my period haha. What I've figured out is that it doesn't stop my period, it just kind of...puts it off for a few days, and makes me spot badly for like a month. Its SOOOO annoying. That's just me though, I know others who it works fine for them to skip it. Out of all the times that I've tried it, its work 3 times, the rest of the times, it ends up with spotting until the next time I'm due for placebos and get a regular period again. For this reason, I plan to switch my bc next time I go to the doc, because I think I may be due for my period during my honeymoon.

Maybe you should try it now to see how it works for you, that way you don't have to be depending just on that the day of your wedding.

facen Posts : 120 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

How do you skip a period? What is the secret? I don't understand, I've never heard of such thing, you mean you can make yourself skip your period? and if so, pls do tell!

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 11:17 PM Go to message in response to: facen

I was on ortho tricylcen-lo before. I liked it a lot!

However...my doctor told me that triphasic pills (such as this) don't tend to "work" when it comes to skipping a period. (triphasic means that you get a different amount of hormones each week...other pills, you get the exact same hormones each day for the whole month). So this may not work for you.

I would talk to your doctor and see what he suggests. Maybe he'll switch you to a monophasic pill, or have another suggestion of what to do.

Just remember that nothing is a guarentee. I was on Alesse prior to my wedding, which is monophasic, and it's "supposed" to work with the whole skipping your period thing. It didn't for me...instead I got a two-week period! So just talk to your doctor, and keep an open mind.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 7:25 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I would talk to your doctor. I've been on orthro tri-cyclen lo before, but it wasn't the best pill for me. I can't remember why the doc switched me off it (honestly, I've been on so many pills I don't remember the specifics of many of them), and don't remember if I skipped any periods with that one. Probably, as usually do it a couple times a year.

I've never had a big problem with it on any pill (I only take low-dose pills - don't know if that makes a difference). The worst that happens to me is that I might have some light spotting at the time that I would normally have my period - but that depends on the pill and my reaction to it. On my current pill (Loestrin), I never have a period longer than a day anyway, which is nice. Of course, I was due for that one-day period on my wedding day. (Really...what are the chances of that?) So I skipped it and didn't have a problem.

Facen, the not-so-secret 'secret' to skipping periods if you're on BC pills is to skip the placebo pills (the ones you're supposed to take the week of your period) and just immediately start the next pill pack. As you can see from the comments, it works well for some people and not so well for others.

By the way, OP, I would talk to your doctor about the cramps before you start your placebos. I've never had that on any pill. It may just be the way your body reacts to the pill, but your doc might want to try you on a different pill to avoid that.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I'm also on ortho-lo, and I didn't skip my period, I just moved it two weeks. I did it about 4 months before the wedding to make sure it got back to a regular schedule. Instead of taking the placebo, I started on week 2 of a new pack and finished it as normal. I didn't have any problems with spotting or anything, but I did have PMS for the two weeks! I would definitely talk to a doctor, but it was not a big deal at all.

MrsKG Posts : 115 Registered: 10/5/08
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 10:19 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I am not on ortho...but I was on a regular month to month pill for a few years and I would skip my pd for vacations and things and it worked fine, I would just start taking the first week of the next pack rather than the placebo pills...about 2 years ago I switched to Sesonique and I love it!! I would highly reccomend it to everyone! With this pill you only get your pd every 3 months rather than every month! I have had people (not doctors) try to tell me its unhealthy and all but my doc says its harmless and theres no scientific reason a woman NEEDS to get her pd every month. So maybe you could talk to your doctor about swithcing to another pill or something. Or I would, like a pp said, try it out a few months before your wedding to see if it works for you. I hope I was a little help!

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
--Sam Keen

wedding widget

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

This is a question for your doctor. They can tell you the best and safest way to acccomplish this.

Mrs. Pinky

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

I'm on the generic form of orthro-tri-cyclen, and just recently skipped my period during a cruise to the Caribbean. I skipped the week of placebo pills and just started with the new pack. It worked very well, still had some minor cramps but no spotting. I'm sure that every person and every type of BC pill will react differently, but it worked great for me! I would put in a call to your doctor, and I would also pack some tampons, just in case!

LBA830 Posts : 3 Registered: 2/25/09
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

I'm so glad I saw this post. I actually have a related question. I'm going to START birth control probably next month so that I will be able to skip my period (it's scheduled to come the day of my wedding and last through the first week of my honeymoon).

My concern is that the pills will make me gain weight (I'm on a serious diet and workout plan!) Can anyone suggest pills that haven't made them gain? I gained weight on otho tricyclen lo. Yaz is out, because it made me super depressed and I had NO libido.

Any suggestions would be great!

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 2:03 AM Go to message in response to: LBA830

LBD,

The idea that birth control pills make you gain weight is somewhat of a myth. (this is according to my doctor...I am personally not a medical expert) You might retain a tiny bit of water (so like, 1-2 pounds of "weight") but nothing major. What happens to some people is that the hormone shift causes them to have an increased appetite, so they eat more. The pill itself doesn't cause the weight gain, the increased eating does. Make sense? So if you are already following a healthy eating plan, you should be fine.

If it makes you feel better, I actually gained weight when I STOPPED taking the pill, and I've heard quite a few people who have said the same. So don't worry. You could also ask your doctor, see if he recommends one that is less likely to affect weight.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

You could also just move your period. When you're taking BC, it's not too hard to shift when your period starts, but it does take a bit of planning. Granted, when I've done that, it was when I was using BC for regulation rather than actual BC, so that may make a huge difference in the play room you get <G> I used ortho evra ( Okay... I know I should do this and I'm scared to death to do it--and my gyno won't schedule a new appointment for me until I get my mammogram, and without an appointment, I can't get my ortho evra -- yes. I KNOW.) I would just delay changing it by one day per patch....so instead of changing every sunday, I'd change the first patch on monday and the second on tuesday....and then I'd start back on the patch on wednesday. Over a two month period of time, I could adjust my start date by about a week. Because that one is very strongly associated with the patch, and it tends to go about 3 days after you remove the last patch of the set.... removing it a day late will knock your cycle some.

(I also know it got some bad press...but it took me from being doubled over, swearing at people like a sailor, and missing one day of work at least every three months because standing up was REALLY not an option to having virtually pain free. I can take a couple of naprosyn at the start of it and refresh them every 12 hours for two days ... and I'm golden. Before it would be five naprosyn at the start, refreshed every 4 to 6 hours. And that is SO not what the label advises. So I was very much a "you'll get my ortho evra over my dead body")

Misty

Visit our Wedding Website

C.A.T., P.O.O.P.

byebye Posts : 37 Registered: 7/30/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

q

Toni9203 Posts : 16 Registered: 3/8/09
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

i am on the same pills and i was due to get my period the day of my wedding , so i skipped getting it this month(to push it back b4 the wedding) and i had no problems with it at all

pinksummer13 Posts : 9 Registered: 7/13/08
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be

I'm on the Yaz pill, and I've never tried actually skipping a period- but I've succesfully put off having it for a week or two because I was with my fiance at that time and I figured after I left (or he left) then I'd have my period. I haven't had any problems with doing this, so I think if you put off having it until after the honeymoon it'd be fine. We use different BC though, so I'm not sure if it'll work for you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine